Names in the book

Use this forum to discuss the April 2022 Book of the month, "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Re: Names in the book

Post by Akshi Porwal »

Names don't particularly interest me in reading a book, but certain eccentric names can be fun.
Anne Lucas
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anne-lucas.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Anne Lucas »

Owuamanam wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 01:36 One of the chief things that interests me in books are names. I love it when authors use peculiar and resounding names in characterizing their book. I also feel Dan Hendrickson used names wonderfully. Example is the name of the pirate ship “Red Witch” the name really triggered more interest in the book. Does characterization and names affect your enjoyment of a book or not. And what do u think about names in books.
Not the names of the characters, but the way the ships are named in this book fascinated me. Like the "Red Witch" that you mentioned and "The morning star". I can't say it affected how much I liked the story, but it did bring to me a series of awes.
:tiphat:
Bhaskar Rogha
Currently Reading: Twilight
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskar-rogha.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Bhaskar Rogha »

Yes, the characterization affects my enjoyment of the book. I can't say that strongly regarding the names of the characters in the book. If an author names a character Rose instead of Emily, but the character is strong and inspiring, I don't think the name would affect my enjoyment of the book.
Arianne Joy Melendres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arianne-joy-melendres.html
Latest Review: The graveyard and other poems by Mae Bea Sayes

Post by Arianne Joy Melendres »

Names don't really mean much to me, but I can see how it could influence how it they could catch the attention of other readers. I feel it also might have to do with how other readers find these names more memorable and such stand-outs? I dislike long names, however; but would still read the book nonetheless.
Ironside Ms
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ironside-ms.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ironside Ms »

Giving names to characters in a book should be carefully done because it can help the reader relate well with their activities by creating images in their head and at the same time make sure that they stick to the readers' mind.
For instance, names like Captain Joshua, The Morning Star, Brandy - the Pirate Princess, Eric - the plague and so on. They were really cool names.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Owuamanam wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 01:36 One of the chief things that interests me in books are names. I love it when authors use peculiar and resounding names in characterizing their book. I also feel Dan Hendrickson used names wonderfully. Example is the name of the pirate ship “Red Witch” the name really triggered more interest in the book. Does characterization and names affect your enjoyment of a book or not. And what do u think about names in books.
I agree with you. Some names just add vividness to the character, but what it more important is the character crafting itself. I remember reading books with Henry as the name chosen for the main character. And while the name is fairly common, I believe the character crafting made me remember, love, and be interested in the Henries. But yes, a unique name choice will definitely be a bonus.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Akinola John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinola-john.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Akinola John »

I don't find any faults in the name mentioned in the book. They are just simple names that we can relate to.
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

Personally, characterization and naming are among the major things I look out for in a book. These, to a large extent, determine my enjoyment of a given book. Characterization gives the reader an idea of who the characters are and what they are capable of doing, and this brings the readers in - making them active participants. Naming adds flavour to the personality of characters; they even confer a certain dignity on them.
Rexan
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rexan.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Rexan »

Absolutely brilliant! in my opinion, when it came to the character's names. The best part being that the names resonated with the characters, quite unique characters if I must say. It felt like I was vividly watching a movie in my head.
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

Bhaskar Rogha wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 03:57 Yes, the characterization affects my enjoyment of the book. I can't say that strongly regarding the names of the characters in the book. If an author names a character Rose instead of Emily, but the character is strong and inspiring, I don't think the name would affect my enjoyment of the book.
I agree with you. The artistic development of the character is the major thing to look out for. But don't you get disinterested when the characters are given long, cold, weird names? Don't you find it difficult remembering those names?
barbiemaeferreira
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbiemaeferreira.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by barbiemaeferreira »

Names like The Skinner, The Plague, were all appealing to me. Although it does not affect my overall enjoyment of reading it, I found them to be extraordinary and unique. I would like to conceive that this is an extra effort made by Dan to make his masterpiece more remarkable to the readers.
Mahdis Sadeghi
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahdis-sadeghi.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by Mahdis Sadeghi »

I enjoyed this book and as the names of the characters give more flesh to the world of each story, I believe this book does it really well. Names like Brandy, Davonte, John and Ralphie suited the storyline very well and made me enjoy the book even more.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

Yes, characterisation really affect if I enjoy the book or not. I the names in the books are foundation of the book, on how it will be because sometimes those names say a lot about a person and in this case, ships, before you even read the book entirely.
Polyanna
Favorite Book: War and Peace
Currently Reading: The Lucky Escape
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-polyanna.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Polyanna »

I sometimes find that I’m not thinking of the character as suiting the name they’ve been given but that might mean I’ve already known someone with the name and I associate hair colour or personality traits to a name the author feels the opposite about. I also hate when a name doesn’t roll of my tongue, even in my head, and I have to keep pausing!
Vivian Amponsah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Vivian Amponsah »

Every story title goes with the names which we refer as characters. Normally the names depicts the story. Names is a book are very relevant.

Return to “Discuss "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson”