Names in the book

Use this forum to discuss the April 2022 Book of the month, "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson.
Frank Mutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-mutuma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Re: Names in the book

Post by Frank Mutuma »

"The morning star" and other names for ships surely did add to the beauty of the book. But for it would not affect the reading
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Patty Allread wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 12:22 To be honest, I found the name "Brandy" to be a real turn-off. I almost didn't get the book. "Brandy" is a name that became popular in the 70s through the mid-80s. It sounds far too modern to be the name of a pirate in the time period of the book. So yes, I think names are sometimes important if they subtly reflect the intended perception of the character.
Maybe you're right. However, "brandy" is the name of a strong drink too. I guess the pirates liked to drink such strong liquors. Therefore, the name "Brandy" suits the pirate girl. You can guess why she was given that name. :wink:
SnowStorm244
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Courageous
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowstorm244.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by SnowStorm244 »

I don't think that the names matter that much, however, certain ones like the Red Witch brought up a bias in me that she was evil.
Nyasha Gogoma
Currently Reading: Mere Christianity
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyasha-gogoma.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Nyasha Gogoma »

Amynwankwo_ wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 05:24 Of course attributing special names to people, places or events help them stand out and stick to your mind. Generally, I don’t think names affect my enjoyment of a book but when authors do stuff like that, I find it really cool. It also helps the readers create an image in their heads.
I absolutely agree. I personally enjoy giving people unique nicknames that match their character and energy, so it is gratifying for me when authors give their characters cool names too. I can't imagine that I would hate the story if Kat wasn't nicknamed The Scarlet Mistress, for example, but the nickname certainly adds intrigue. The names Scarlet Mistress and Red Witch were highly reminiscent of Wanda Maximoff :lol2:
NdegwaSalome
Currently Reading: Four Pebbles on a Bench
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndegwasalome.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by NdegwaSalome »

I loved how Katrina was the 'scarlet mistress.' The other names didn't mean much.
Lumish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lumish.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Lumish »

I think the names given to each character was really well done. The names goes well with the role the characters played
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Names can add to the likeness of the book. Weird names could be either positive or negative depending on their weirdness. Mostly, readers want a good story instead of new names. I, personally, would like good names and good story.
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

In books but not necessarily in real-life, names can fit the characters and make the book an easy read. When there are many similar names (not diverse enough or not memorable), it is easy to get confused while reading. In this book, the chosen names are perfect and fit well in the story.
John Brown 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-brown-10.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by John Brown 10 »

The names in this book were actually thought through. However, I feel this book would have still been wonderful even if the names were changed.
Andrea Hibbard
Currently Reading: Thin Places
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Andrea Hibbard »

I like to think author's put a lot of thought into the names they choose for their characters and places. The meaning or significance of a name can really add to the depth of the overall story.

I typically see unique names as a positive addition to a story. An unnecessarily complicated spelling of a common name can be distracting, and unless there is meaning behind a very long name (cultural, regional, historic, etc.) I typically shorten it in my head. Another facet of the reading experience, I guess!
Dustin Stopher
Currently Reading: Perk's of being a Wallflower
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustin-stopher.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dustin Stopher »

I actually very much enjoyed the names in the book. It’s my opinion that ship and pirate names are a big part of what makes the pirate genre interesting. They add character/intrigue in a way that a regular person having a superhero name has for the superhero genre.
Hue-Morningstar
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hue-morningstar.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Hue-Morningstar »

Names are really impactful when reading a book. They predict the accent one would use when reading a speech from certain character. Zhong Yang, is probably an Asian name, I used Chinese accent to read his speeches.
Dajuana mason
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dajuana-mason.html
Latest Review: The Aftermath Of The King by Robert Murray

Post by Dajuana mason »

I feel like good names are kinda important when reading and writing, it’s much easier to keep someone’s attention if the names being tossed there way has meaning behind it or is just striking by itself.
Frank Mutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-mutuma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Frank Mutuma »

In the medieval times people used to name even swords. I love how the author gives the ships names like the morning star, Red witch
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwuamarachi-55.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by ikechukwuamarachi+55 »

An amazing part of this story is the names given to each character. This creates a unique feature of the book. You can imagine when captain Joshua also named his ship "the morning star".

Return to “Discuss "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson”