Sequel??

Use this forum to discuss the April 2022 Book of the month, "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson.
Blucabana
Currently Reading: The girl that loved carravalagio
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blucabana.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Re: Sequel??

Post by Blucabana »

I would love a sequel, however, the reality is that creating a sequel to this novel will be very difficult. The end of this novel is very satisfying and complete. There are no loose ends that would justify the creation of a sequel.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

Nope. This story is over. Any attempt to create a sequel would require building a story around the history the author established for his main characters at the end of the tale. What I would recommend, however, is a deeper dive novel into the lives of the dispersed Jamaican Maroons and the lives these resilient peoples made for each other. That would be very appealing.
EssyJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyj.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by EssyJ »

I also thought about it and I agree with you. A sequel that instigates a new conflict that Arthur and Katrina have to now deal with would be an interesting read. I'd love to read that.
Elenimo Chembe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenimo-chembe.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Elenimo Chembe »

I rather would let the book end there. A sequel would complicate things. Well, that's my opinion.
Blossy20
Currently Reading: Understanding the business of health care
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blossy20.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Blossy20 »

Dan created a beautiful resolution to this fascinating story. The disadvantage of having such a great ending is that it will be very difficult to create a sequel.
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

Unless the author can come up with an exceptional sequel, it might not be worth it to do a sequel. It's like trying to follow up the star act on stage. You may give it your all and still not resonate with the audience. I think it would be safer to just let it lie.
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by ellimctreph »

While I do like the prospect of a sequel, I think the story ended conclusively. To add anymore would just be prolonging arcs that have already ended or coming up with new ones that don't have as much depth. I think it's one of those stories where a sequel is better off solely in your head.
Ola_Elise
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-elise.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ola_Elise »

In my opinion, a sequel is unnecessary. The story wrapped up well.
Books are a unique form of accessible magic. Reading is required for those who wish to rise above the mundane. If you dislike reading, it's most likely because you haven't found the right book.
Jenny Matthews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenny-matthews.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jenny Matthews »

The book ended well for me. There would be no need for a sequel. I feel a sequel might take away the originality ofbthe story.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

A good book is one that knows when to end. A sequel, in my opinion, would be damaging at worst and unnecessary at best
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Damian Keyes »

Actually, what I wanted to see was for the book to end in the direction where John and Davonte were kidnapped by Lamoche and he took them on the Red Witch far away. I wanted to see a sequel pick up from there and follow Brandy's journey, with the help of her friends, to hunt down Lamoche. But, the ending was that she saved him and Davonte, and they got married a month later. So, the ending and epilogue of this book crushed my idea. If there was a sequel then I would definitely be interested in that too.
Zwelihle_Myeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zwelihle-myeni.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Zwelihle_Myeni »

A sequel is not always necessary as it can mes up a good book by dragging it unnecessary. Therefore I feel like making this a sequel Is a not good idea.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

All the issues in the book seem to be resolved and there is no unanswered question so a sequel seems unnecessary. However, sometimes an author can surprise you in a unexpected way, so I don’t think the idea of a sequel should be ruled out.
Bernard Udofia
Favorite Author: Biz Stone
Currently Reading: Things a Little Bird Told Me: Confessions of the Creative Mind
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernard-udofia.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright
fav_author_id: 72309

Post by Bernard Udofia »

While I think this story was well-done on its own, I won't mind a sequel. It should be said, though, that attempting a sequel has been known to muddle the originality of a story. Still, some sequels have helped move a story to greater heights. And since I don't know many pirate story sequels focused on characters in a different generation than the original character, I would love to see a second story focused on Brandy's children. Are their mother's shoes too big to fill or do they carve out a path all their own, removed from the pirate world they were born into? How does their mother's reputation affect their own lives? How does it benefit them or hold them back? All these questions could be exploited within a beautiful story.

It doesn't matter if there was enough info about Arthur and Katrina in the original story to write a sequel from. This is fiction; the author can always think up new stuff about the characters so far as it is done creatively and makes logical sense when you think about it in comparison to this first instalment. Anyway, these are my two cents.
Bernard Udofia
Favorite Author: Biz Stone
Currently Reading: Things a Little Bird Told Me: Confessions of the Creative Mind
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernard-udofia.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright
fav_author_id: 72309

Post by Bernard Udofia »

I've got another idea. How about instead of a sequel, the author does a prequel? If the author is wary about introducing a completely new story (as in the case of a sequel) then how about using a prequel to kind of smooth over any rough edges in the plot of this story? A prequel would afford the author the opportunity to go back and FULLY flesh out events and circumstances that led to Brandy's life as a pirate princess. It would be about events before Brandy's time, but it could help readers appreciate Brandy's story even more. Another two cents from me...I guess it's four cents in total now 😌

Return to “Discuss "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson”