How is this book different from the other pirate stories?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2022 Book of the month, "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson.
Tony Official
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-official.html
Latest Review: America’s Loveless Age: Trumpism, FemPower, the End of Patriarchy by Noel Terry

Re: How is this book different from the other pirate stories?

Post by Tony Official »

I can't really tell. Maybe it's because I haven't read so much pirate books. But I feel this one has a bit of originality to it. The author didn't try t alter anything about pirates.
Arianne Joy Melendres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arianne-joy-melendres.html
Latest Review: The graveyard and other poems by Mae Bea Sayes

Post by Arianne Joy Melendres »

First, it was that the main characters in this book were women; when I think of pirates, I usually think men. Second, the plot revolved around pirates in enslavement; most pirate stories deal with product trading.
CGO
Currently Reading: The Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by CGO »

Apart from what I see in pirate movies, I didn’t know anything about pirates. I think their involvement in slave trade in this story is the major difference. Most times in the movies they deal mostly in arms.
RajvirxSandhu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajvirxsandhu.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by RajvirxSandhu »

I have read a few pirate novels, and this novel was quite different from them. Usually, the generic plotline is that a male runs the ship, and the difference in this one, we had a couple powerful in their own right, let alone together. Brandy's mother was influential in her own right and not seen as just a wife. Another difference was how the novel showed slave trading, and although we have seen kidnapping in other stories, this was a new concept in a pirate book for me. Often in other pirate books, we do not get to know the pirate's familial side, and this novel centers on that itself, so I enjoyed reading it immensely.
Mariam Goderdzievna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariam-goderdzievna.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mariam Goderdzievna »

I have read many other pirate books that deal solely and exclusively with robbery or various crimes. However in this book human feelings were brought to the fore and the feelings of the pirates are in the foreground.
maglalangara496
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maglalangara496.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by maglalangara496 »

I don’t read or watch that many pirate movies or books. Hence, I perceived this as something new to me. However, I believe what makes this book different is that Brandy, a powerful woman, leads it.
Lindzy Herbrand
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: A Wrinkle in Time
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindzy-herbrand.html
Latest Review: the REMF, Hurry Up and Wait by Ray Dyer
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by Lindzy Herbrand »

I appreciate your question as someone who generally is not drawn to pirate stories. After reading through the unique responses, I decided to download the sample of the book. Wow! Right away, I am drawn into the story. As other readers have commented, there are strong female leads, and the slave trading is an interesting twist.
Asta ngu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asta-ngu.html
Latest Review: The Bridge by Andrew Palmer

Post by Asta ngu »

What made the book different from other pirate books was that it contains both action and romance, and another unique factor is that a female character possess the leading role
Matthews Gali
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthews-gali.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Matthews Gali »

I think the thing that makes it different from other books is the concept of a whole family being pirates. Many pirates books talk about only the men in a family as pirates and the females left home but this one also includes the mother making it unique.
Matthews Gali
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthews-gali.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Matthews Gali »

I think the thing that makes it different from other books is the concept of a whole family being pirates. Many pirates books talk about only the men in a family as pirates and the females left home but this one also includes the mother making it unique.
Josie Wert
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josie-wert.html
Latest Review: The Last Lumenian by S.G. Blaise

Post by Josie Wert »

marba wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 05:19 I think the best original feature was the way the author addressed the issue of slave trafficking. It was the first time I heard about pirates associated with it, so it was a surprise.
I think some of the more gruesome parts of pirate history are glossed over in pirate stories so that the dangerous fun of the stereotypical pirate life aren’t tarnished by the ugly realities.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

This is honestly the first pirate-related book I have ever read. However, something that particularly stood out to me a lot was the emphasis on slave trafficking throughout the story. I think that is a unique discussion topic overall and it kept me engaged through the plot of the story.
Ace John
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ace-john.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ace John »

Having a female lead is the most notable. Brandy stands out as the focus of the spotlight in the whole story.
Ace John
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ace-john.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ace John »

The book includes women in piracy. That's odd and not so many books about piracy would take this street. We have been used to having shaggy, frightening males as pirates.
Gehm
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gehm.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by Gehm »

Most pirate stories i have read either deals with ruthless pirates fighting over some sort of treasure or pirates involved with drugs and illegal arms. This book was however different, it portrayed what other stories failed to, the themes of love and struggles of pirates. The female captain made it all the more interesting.

Return to “Discuss "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson”