Too Predictable? Or perfect foreshadowing? (Contains spoilers)

Use this forum to discuss the April 2022 Book of the month, "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Re: Too Predictable? Or perfect foreshadowing? (Contains spoilers)

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

I thought the story was a little bit predictable. I figured that Devonte and Joshua were connected and that Brady’s uncle was possibly her father, but the story moved along well and there were so many different things going on that it did not ruin the story to figure these things out.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Atova
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atova.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Atova »

I kept reading the book intermittently, so I had enough time and clues to brainstorm an ending where I saw Captain Joshua be Devonte's father. So when it happened later on, I wasn't too surprised, just amazed at how the plot lead towards such a secret unravelling.
htdcd
Currently Reading: the speaker for the dead
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-htdcd.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by htdcd »

I think you have to keep in mind the average literary competency of the reader. People who are widely read will likely pick up on clues and foreshadowing more easily than those who have less experience with some of the more standard "twists" such as this one. It could be that this particular component was so important to the author that he make it more obvious than he perhaps needed to in order to be sure that readers picked up on it. The problem for me becomes too many of these types of clues. When it feels as though the author is slamming you over the head with foreshadowing - multiple clues relating to the same outcome - then it's overkill and needs to be addressed. But an "easy" clue here or there might just have likely been done on purpose.
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

I cannot comment without first putting out there that we (the OBC reviewers) are avid readers, this allows us a sense of foresight into the construction of storylines and their mysteries. Which, of course, would lend us a sense of where a storyline is heading and also a practiced talent to pick up clues which other, less avid readers, may have glanced over without realizing what they were.

To the comment, it may be both. Too obvious to the seasoned reader, yet a simple foreshadowing to the other reader.
Matthew Little
Currently Reading: The Invisible Library
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthew-little.html
Latest Review: Wandering Feelings by Boyko Ovcharov
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Matthew Little »

I would say that some of the foreshadowing was really obvious and took the surprise away. Like you said, the eyes really gave it away. If you don't catch those moments then the surprise is actually meaningful, but since I saw those I could tell it would happen
Avalanche32
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avalanche32.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Avalanche32 »

It was necessary. It made me understand that the author was trying to correlate the resemblance between the father and his daughter. So, it was not predictable.
Aeesha Bashir
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aeesha.html
Latest Review: The Bridge by Andrew Palmer
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Aeesha Bashir »

I wasn't so shocked by the revelation because this sort of plot twist is kind of common in historical fiction novels but it was still an 'aha' moment for me.
Aeesha :techie-studyinggray:
Rebecca Flores
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-flores.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Rebecca Flores »

I did not expect this. Thinking back maybe I can see it, but I definitely do not think it was predictable storyline. I felt each step of the story was a puzzle piece and we were not able to see the whole picture until everything was brought together. I wonder if I read it over if i would notice the foreshadowing more?
mercasa
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odek.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by mercasa »

I think the author did a good job of fore shadowing giving bits and bits till it suddenly made sense made the book more interesting.
Readingly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingly.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Readingly »

I did not find the story to be predictable. The story flowed on smoothly. I never knew of any details until they were revealed.
chocolaterays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chocolaterays.html
Latest Review: Gracefully Owning Life's Dreams by Tisha Lee

Post by chocolaterays »

When I read this book, I didn't see any of these clues. I only notice them now that you mentioned it.
lilianchikasi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilianchikasi.html
Latest Review: From A Whore to a Whousewife by Felicia Cobbs

Post by lilianchikasi »

This book was definitely not predictable, not in any way, not to me though. Clues and hints were there but I just couldn't guess it. I guess I was too engrossed to notice anything.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I feel like the foreshadowing of the book was well done. I did not expect the father daughter relationship at all and it came as a great surprise to me when the news was revealed
honeybear_11001
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybear-11001.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by honeybear_11001 »

I think some parts gave the ending away, but I enjoyed the book regardless. I think only the father-daughter relationship was the predictable part, only after reading halfway through.
Jerry Dolman
Currently Reading: The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-dolman.html
Latest Review: Dark Matter Empire (Book 1) by Alex Zadeh

Post by Jerry Dolman »

I think Hendrickson did a nice job of leaving enough clues to make the reveal pay off, without making it too obvious. It's hard to leave hints for a big reveal down the road and have them be subtle enough to not give it away. It was little things here and there, like the descriptions. Very well done!

Return to “Discuss "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson”