Meaningful Medallions (contains spoilers)

Use this forum to discuss the April 2022 Book of the month, "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson.
Andrew Malenya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-malenya.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Re: Meaningful Medallions (contains spoilers)

Post by Andrew Malenya »

I highly regard medallions, relics, and souvenirs. They always try to tell a story of the path we have walked and those loved ones we carry with us. This book proved that
Andrew Malenya
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Andrew Malenya »

I understand John felt deeply affectionate to Brandy but that does not qualify giving her the medallion. The medallion means so much to John than it ever will to Brandy. Therefore John should have just kept it.
Andrew Malenya
Currently Reading:

Post by Andrew Malenya »

cutemami wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 07:31 The medallions hold a lot of sentimental value and exchanging them would have really been more romantic. That being said, I think each medallion was more valued by its owner than it would have ever been by the other person had they exchanged the medallions.
Exactly. Giving someone a medallion does not mean you also transfer how you value the medallion to them too. To other people it might be valueless but to the initial owner it is priceless.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I thought the medallions were very romantic and showed a deep commitment because they were family heirlooms. Marriage is, among other things, the joining of two families. The medallions represented that in a way that two rings cannot. The medallions represented the best qualities of those involved, especially the love and devotion Brandy's mother had for her.
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

I absolutely adore the power of symbolism, hidden and unseen meaning to the laymen onlooker. The idea of sentiment attached to the medallions are brilliantly beautiful. I agree that they would hold better meaning and emotion as opposed to a mere exchanging of rings.
Stellah Chege
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stellah-chege.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Stellah Chege »

I am a deeply sentimental person. Having grown up watching telenovelas where medallions are usually involved, I loved their inclusion in this book. I think they were important symbols to bring out the book in a sentimental way.
Readingly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingly.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Readingly »

Personally, I did not read much meaning into those medallions. Rings or medallions; anyone would have been just fine.
chocolaterays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chocolaterays.html
Latest Review: Gracefully Owning Life's Dreams by Tisha Lee

Post by chocolaterays »

The adornments made this book so much more interesting. When you give someone you love a jewel or an ornament, it would mean so much to them. I can only imagine how Brandy felt when she got that medallion from the man she loved.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I really enjoyed the usage of the Medallions. Symbolism is one of the greatest things in a story and the usage of the medallions heavily helped enhance the existing story
Mariam Goderdzievna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariam-goderdzievna.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mariam Goderdzievna »

In my opinion medallions are really a huge load in the book because through it John expressed love, respect and warmth towards his mother.
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

I liked the medallions, they hold a strong sentimental meaning, so exchanging them instead for rings had a great meaning.
nwanasebuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanyi-nata1.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by nwanasebuka »

I understand John's feelings; the medallion is essential to him since it demonstrates his mother's respect, and giving it to Brandy instead of the ring shows how much she adores Brandy.
Christabel18+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel18.html
Latest Review: The Bridge by Andrew Palmer

Post by Christabel18+ »

To John that medallion had a lot of significance and his giving it to brandy had to mean a lot.
Lydia Efobi 1
Favorite Book: Love Hypothesis
Currently Reading: Six of Crows
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydia-efobi-1.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Lydia Efobi 1 »

The medallions had a lot of exotic value. I believe they were invaluable pieces.
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

I felt there was a good deal of significance to the medallion John had. Brandy was so disappointed when he left for sea without giving it to her so it obviously meant a great deal to her as well. There wasn't as much emphasis placed on her locket as there was on the medallion though so I'm not sure it held as deep a meaning.

Return to “Discuss "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson”