The award for best supporting character goes to...

Use this forum to discuss the April 2022 Book of the month, "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson.
Flora Posh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flora-posh.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Re: The award for best supporting character goes to...

Post by Flora Posh »

I agree with you on Zhang Xong. His character did so much for our protagonist. I actually caught myself wishing that he was real, so that I could go thank him.
My favorite thing about him is how supportive and loyal he was. Good friends are had to come by, even in fictitious worlds. Zhang Xong was a catch.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
reader ps
Currently Reading: Blue Collar Cash
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-ps.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Post by reader ps »

My choice would be Zhang. He was the perfect mentor! His teaching methods were amazing and he was literally supporting Brandy in all her battles. I was really hoping to see a small backstory of Zhang about how he became Brandy's mentor.
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

My favorite is Skinner as he was loyal to Brandy and stood by her side throughout.
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

Ralphie by far was my favorite best supporting character. I really enjoyed the moments between Ralphie and John and the true loyalty and support Ralphie showed. He really was a great friend to John. Ralphie also had a great personality and was so fun to read!
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

Zhang was absolutely my favorite supporting character. He gave wisdom not only to Brandy, but John also during their quests.
Anastasia Atkinson
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anastasia-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Anastasia Atkinson »

I absolutely loved Zhang Yong. He had me laughing so hard at so many parts. He adds a bit of humor to the story during the difficult times that exist throughout the book; this helps keep the book from being too dark. One of my favorite parts involves him conversing about a stupid monk. I'm trying to keep out any spoils but if you have read it, it was quite a funny part and hard to miss out on. It had me put down the book because I was laughing a little too hard. Besides his humorous personality, I enjoyed the life skills he endows into Brandy. Keeping her anger calmed and how to be graceful when fighting or how to be defensive instead of a full force attacker. He made quite a few thought provocating moments for me.

I immediately fell for Ralphie, though. He reminds me of a character my friend had made for a story we had written together and it brought back a lot of nostalgia for me, so he was definitely a close second. His devotion to his friends and doing what's right just warmed my heart. He was by far the one who pulled at my heartstrings the most with nostalgia and personality. Very close second.
Glorious4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glorious4.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Glorious4 »

My favorite characters are Brandy because of her character development, and Ralphie because of his personality.
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

I think most credit for best supporting character should go to Zhang Yong. Being a Master Shaolin priest from China, he was able to share his unique knowledge with Brandy. I don't deny the pirates had impressive fighting skills but Zhang was able to teach Brandy to stay calm and focused making her a more powerful opponent in fights. Apart from fighting skills he taught her how to respond in a considered way, rather than react with violence. Brandy did not want to be a brutal pirate, so returning to the ship compromised her. Zhang ensured she did not resort to brutality. She had a style of her own!
Eva Nyaburi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

I will go with brandy for her determination and her character development.
AnnaMarie Collins
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamarie-collins.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AnnaMarie Collins »

My favorite thing about Zhang Yong was his cheekiness. He was level-headed and serene, but he had such a keen ability to gently poke fun when it was needed. He was probably my favorite character. I also liked Neseem; he seemed to have the same sage wisdom and sense of humor as Zhang.
Ralphie was an amazing character, too. He may have been quietly hovering in the background, but the story wouldn't have been the same without him.
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Zhang is the best supporting character and has major contribution to Brandy's life. His style of fighting is commendable.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Sabahat Kamran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabahat-kamran.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Sabahat Kamran »

I loved the lessons Zhang taught Brandy about finding the right balance with everything she does. I also really liked Skinner.
Moses mark joe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Moses mark joe »

My choice is easily Brandy
In addition to breaking stereotypes, and creating strong character in unusual situations, she is also helpful and supportive. I also appreciated her storyline for being a warrior in the pirate's ship.
Ayesha Ameera Memon
Currently Reading: Culture Jock
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayesha-ameera-memon.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Ayesha Ameera Memon »

I love Zhang and Ralphie! Zhang is loyal and hardworking and it's clear he has Ralphie's back no matter what! Ralphie is probably the best character overall. He's a good mix of fierce and patient. The way he helps Brandy become a fierce fighter and remains calm and contained no matter what, is truly inspirational.
Judith Donald
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-donald.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Judith Donald »

I enjoyed Skinner's dedication and loyalty but I'd have to go with Ralphie, his loyalty to John is something to be emulated.

Return to “Discuss "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson”