What was your favourite aspect of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2022 Book of the month, "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson.
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

What was your favourite aspect of the book?

Post by ellimctreph »

This book packed in a lot. Slavery, corruption, and redemption were just a handful of its themes. Then, of course, there's the piracy, Brandy whose a lovely character, the setting, the action. But if you were to pick only one thing that stood out to you the most, what would it be?
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Damian Keyes »

I loved the fact that even during this time period in the book that there were more people against slavery, instead of for it. The abolitionist movement shown throughout the story came from Queen Victoria in England. It shows that in order for change to occur that there needs to be support from those in high-ranking positions.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

ellimctreph wrote: 06 May 2022, 08:08 This book packed in a lot. Slavery, corruption, and redemption were just a handful of its themes. Then, of course, there's the piracy, Brandy whose a lovely character, the setting, the action. But if you were to pick only one thing that stood out to you the most, what would it be?
There were many things to love about the book. But for me, it's really simple: in a world where heroes are usually cast as make, moreso in the pirate story niche (think Pirates of the Carribean), Brandy was a refreshing departure from the norm. Just the fact that the central character of a pirate story is female does it for me.
Zwelihle_Myeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zwelihle-myeni.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Zwelihle_Myeni »

I haven't read the book yet, but from the topics in the forums I could say that I'm sold. The themes said to be mentioned in the book seem very interesting and drama filled, my cup of coffee. Thanks for recommending this book to us.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I knew nothing about the recapturing of freed sleeves by mercenaries throughout the Caribbean. I found this fascinating, especially with respect to the communities of the Jamaican Maroons. I love learning a new historical tidbit now and then, especially when it comes from within the pages of a novel. I think that I may do some more reading about this topic sometime in the near future.
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

My favourite aspect of the book is the blending of history, adventure and fiction into such an amazing read. I also liked that it had a strong female protagonist, which is something we don’t usually see in historical fiction.
Luv Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luv-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Ava Flips by Ava Nebel

Post by Luv Emmanuel »

My favorite part of the book is the parts where people were not afraid to speak up against what they did not agree with. I am talking about slavery. It always gladdens my heart when ever I see or read about people going out of their way to put an end to this despicable practice
Latest Review: Ava Flips by Ava Nebel
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

I appreciated the historical aspects of the book. It prompted me to find out more about pirate activity at that time and to learn more about the origins of the vocabulary.
Essy Nma
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Essy Nma »

My favorite part of the book is slavery with its resisting power. It refreshed my memory on books on slavery resistance that I found interesting.
IconReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iconreviews.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by IconReviews »

Self-sacrifice was what stood out the most. The way Brandy's mother sacrificed herself to save her daughter was a very touching moment
Siphesihle Prince
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siphesihle-prince.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Siphesihle Prince »

Honestly, what I liked the most about this book is the fact that the lead for such a conventionally male role is a female, and while that might not be a "part" necessarily, I still feel that it deserves the most praise since it was such a risky move from the author. It's an endearing departure from the normal Caribbean stories we read nowadays.
Dustin Stopher
Currently Reading: Perk's of being a Wallflower
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustin-stopher.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dustin Stopher »

My favorite aspect of the book was the combat narration. Many books largely skip over fight scenes by just stating the characters fight and then moving on. This book did a great job of narrating individual maneuvers in the combat in an engaging manner. It was one of the first things that caught my attention in Chapter 1.
Favour Ojonugwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-ojonugwa.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Favour Ojonugwa »

What stood out for me in the book was the theme self sacrifice, has Kat sacrifice her self for her daughter.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

My favorite part of this book if I had to choose just one would be the parts about God. The good pirates trusted Him to see them through hard times. The truth that there were good people back then that fought against slavery because it was wrong in their eyes and Gods.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

I like the blend of history, adventure, and mystery. It's made the book captivating and intense. The protagonist being a female definitely made the book unique, and the key theme that I loved the most was self-sacrifice for family.

Return to “Discuss "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson”