Is Brandy a Good Example of a Strong Female Protagonist Done Right?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2022 Book of the month, "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson.
Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Re: Is Brandy a Good Example of a Strong Female Protagonist Done Right?

Post by Vine Michael »

What I like about Brandy is how real she is. She was strong at sometimes and weak at others. She made mistakes and owned up to them. But for me one notable fact that made me like her was that she was scared, though she didn’t let her fear hinder her. I’m happy the author didn’t bring a male protagonist to overshadow her.
Sabahat Kamran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabahat-kamran.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Sabahat Kamran »

What makes Brady a great female character is that she isn't written like a "strong female character". She is written as an interesting character with virtues and flaws who also happens to be a woman.
Sling Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sling-samuel.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sling Samuel »

I think that Brandy is a great female protagonist. She embodied strength, determination, and power. Don't forget that she is not your cliche princess.
Moses mark joe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Moses mark joe »

What I liked about this story is that the female protagonist is found, not as a man, but as a real woman ready to fight. It was a good break from all other male protagonists, feminine energy was very much welcomed..
Onyinyechi Orji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-orji.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Onyinyechi Orji »

She has everything I wanted in a female protagonist. She was patient, courageous, beautiful and strong. I love how she went about getting her revenge.
Flora Posh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flora-posh.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Flora Posh »

To me, Brandy is the definition of a strong female character. I found her strong will and the respect she commanded very admirable.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

Yes she was a good example because she wasn't totally perfect, she had her challenges but she was strong and resilient.
Harry Torsney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harry-torsney.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Harry Torsney »

Brandy was well-developed. She's tough in her own right and knows how to deal how with her shortcomings.
Ramon Scott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ramon Scott »

Brandy was an excellent protagonist. She was a strong, determined woman. This is similar to most women we know but that is seldom reflected in literature. Well at least not as much as men. Also, unlike all the books I've read with female protagonists, she is actually imperfect. She is not this flawless woman figure that doesn't nothing wrong. She faces adversity like the best of us and rises above which showcased her resilience. The author did indeed do a great job in executing this character.
Rose Mashinini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-mashinini.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Rose Mashinini »

Definitely, I concur. In the majority of stories, particularly those with female characters, authors have a propensity to portray women as helpless, ready to give up after just one obstacle. Dan E. Hendrickson, however, convincingly portrayed Brandy as a remarkable example of a female protagonist who experienced numerous obstacles but was nevertheless able to overcome them and succeed in her objectives.
Fortsakis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fortsakis »

I do believe that she is a strong character. Brandy is resilient and does not let situations to hold her back. It is good to see a strong female character.
itsme_shahi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itsme-shahi.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by itsme_shahi »

Everyone is flawed in this world. What matters is the ability to overshadow your flaws with your strong opinionated character. Brandy was a strong female protagonist as she had a mind of her own. She is strong in the face of adversities and manages to keep challenges at bay due to her strong personality.
Nathalie Elsa Nelson
Currently Reading: Of the Earth
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elsa-lee.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Nathalie Elsa Nelson »

Absolutely, Brandy is a good example of a strong protagonist. Brandy is perfect with her own flaws. Some novel tends to write the female lead as perfect as possible that it become unrealistic and boring to read. But Brandy had her own flaws.
maycherono91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maycherono91.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by maycherono91 »

Yes she is, and what is even more beautiful is that the story was set in the nineteenth century when women were really looked down upon. We love us some good old feminine energy.
Tara D Morgan
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The colour purple
Currently Reading: Angel of Liverpool
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tara-d-morgan.html
Latest Review: Good Evening, Sir George by Donald Yule
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tara D Morgan »

I think Brandy is an excellent example of a strong female protagonist done right. She is a strong character in this story for many reasons. Brandy has no fear in the face of her enemies, and she is headstrong. She does not let the unknowns in her personal life affect the objective she is trying to reach, which is claiming back what was rightfully hers. Brandy didn't come from the best parents, but she didn't let it define her. She used her power for and out of love and claimed victory for the war she was in.

Return to “Discuss "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson”