The Scarlet Mistress, Good or Bad?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2022 Book of the month, "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson.
Jaysen Hoezee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaysen-hoezee.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

The Scarlet Mistress, Good or Bad?

Post by Jaysen Hoezee »

A good amount of "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" details Brandy's struggles with the pirate menaces she had for her parents. Being raised by people who take in slaves, kill several people daily, and are generally feared, has to take a toll. But throughout the book, she later learns from Skinner that Katrina, "The Scarlet Mistress, did a lot for her. She married "The Plague" for protection, and loved Brandy as her "little gift from the sea." Despite the horrible things she has done, she still cared for Brandy as much as she could.

What do you think? Did her violent actions make her a bad person, or did her motherly love toward Brandy redeem her?
Eva Nyaburi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Master Your Mind and Energy to Heal Your Body by Brandy Gillmore

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

The Scarlet Mistress is not a good person just because she was able to love and care for one person. compared to the harm done to a great number of people, she cannot be justified.
Blessing O 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-o-2.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Blessing O 2 »

It's hard to choose because even though her actions were violent and harsh, she was still able to love her daughter stating there's some good in her.
Anastasia Atkinson
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anastasia-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Anastasia Atkinson »

She was a great antagonistic parent and considering that she was a pirate, she wasn't as toxic as she could have been. She was perfectly portraying how pirates truly were. I get stuck on a one question when trying to figure out if she was good or bad. What constitutes as good or bad? She cared for Brandy, but she showed her care through keeping her alive in the harsh environment. In contrast, she also kidnapped, killed and sold people. She was morally bad, but wasn't exactly a bad mother. In my mind, she was more bad than good.
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

I think that not redeem her but can show her in a better light for Brandy. She did it for her, if not then life wouldn't be how it is today for her. But the enslaving and killing of people is a real crime.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
kasedy Fairbairn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasedy-fairbairn.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by kasedy Fairbairn »

I feel like she was good in her own way. She had a hard life and had to adapt to survive. She married a pirate and had to take on that hard life. She did everything in her power to save her daughter the best way she knew how.
Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

Personally I think someone can be a good person to the public and also a bad person behind close doors. Being a good parent or having motherly love for Brandy doesn’t absolve her of her sins. She was simply a good mother to her daughter while doing things that were morally wrong.
Jenifer Payton
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Heart Bones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenifer-payton.html
Latest Review: Amulet's Rapture by Linnea Tanner

Post by Jenifer Payton »

I think that while she really loved and cared for her daughter, often without her daughter knowing, she still did some really bad things. Whether her intentions were good or not she did contribute to the deaths and maltreatment of many different people. That being said, I think instead of just labeling her as a bad person, we should acknowledge that she was a person that did bad things in order to protect the ones that she loved.
Similoluwa Odumuyiwa
Favorite Book: Wild World
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-similoluwa-odumuyiwa.html
Latest Review: Midnight On Mars by Marie Montine

Post by Similoluwa Odumuyiwa »

Though she had committed various atrocities, she was still a loving mother.
Sling Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sling-samuel.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sling Samuel »

She was a good mother, but definitely not a good person. Drug Lords can love and care for their kids, but does that make them good people? No.
Book Review Tub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-review-tub.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Book Review Tub »

Equating her being a good mother to being a good person is wrong on so many levels. Granted, condition must have pushed her into being the person she was. But that does not bloat out her sins. Her love for her child cannot absolve her of those sins too.
bishop_444
Favorite Book: Yesterday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bishop-444.html
Latest Review: The Reject Bench by James H Morgan

Post by bishop_444 »

I think love conquers all. It doesn't make her a good person and heinous acts are unforgivable especially if she continues to do them, but she stepped up to be a mother. It takes a strong, caring person to do that. People should be forgiven. Not their acts, but definitely the person.
Rawdat George
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rawdat-george.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Rawdat George »

My answer is simple. Yes, her violent action made her a bad person. No, her motherly love did not redeem her. It should not.
Rawdat George
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rawdat-george.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Rawdat George »

Her violent actions made her a bad person. I understand that she was just being herself, but because of her, people suffered. I do not believe that her love towards her own child is enough to redeem her.
Ramon Scott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ramon Scott »

This is a hard one. I guess it helps to not judge other people. She might do some terrible things but she still can be loving and caring. Maybe something is driving her to do these terrible action. Maybe something happened in her youth but she in her essence is a good person. That is evident in her treatment of Brandy but then we also shouldn't shun her wicked actions because she did a lot of those. I guess it would be better if we didn't label people as bad or good and just let them be. Looking at this matter at a perspective of judgement is impossible for me.

Return to “Discuss "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson”