Experience with the exercises in The Maestro Monologue

Use this forum to discuss the May 2022 Book of the month, "The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny" by Rob White.
dcruzsammy
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcruzsammy.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Experience with the exercises in The Maestro Monologue

Post by dcruzsammy »

Rob White incorporated several exercises in the book, so I was wondering if any of you did that and what were your thoughts. I personally did some of them on a journal, and it was quite enlightening the moment I did it, but then immediately forgot about it.

The one I enjoyed the most was writing down the ingredients in the maestro monologue. Although enjoyable, I guess it was just not effective for me.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

The exercise I engage in is Chapter 5. The ingredient is 'Appreciating and celebrating' and what I engaged in was hugging myself and treating myself to a coffee. I found this experience refreshing and helpful to me. This is because I am too hard on myself and when I did that, I felt something lifted inside of me. At that moment I realised I need to be appreciating and celebrating myself.
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-christanto.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD
Reading Device: B09N3YBXCN

Post by Sharon Christanto »

I've been doing the exercises too! In my opinion, these exercises need to be done several times. Revisit the journal prompt whenever I have time, contemplate, then rewrite the journal based on current situation. Changing our old self is not easy and it can't happen overnight. It's a continuous process :D
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I am not usually receptive to the exercises proposed in self-help books. I had read so many good reviews of The Maestro Monologue, so I thought I would try them. Unfortunately, I did not notice any benefit from the exercises, but I guess it's just me. The reading was interesting, though.
Rob White
In It Together VIP
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Maestro Monologue

Post by Rob White »

My favorite exercise in my book is dealing with the can-NOTS in my life. We are all a product of the culture in which we are born (family culture, community culture, ethnic culture), and also we are a product of the time in history in which we are raised. You can be sure all of that hand you a lot of can-NOTS. It seems we cannot escape the can-NOTS, but we can deal with them and render them harmless, aye? Thank you, all of you, for participating in this forum. Rob - author of the book.
Emmanuel Okotie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-okotie.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Emmanuel Okotie »

I did quite a few of the exercises. Although keeping up with exercises especially those from books on a daily basis is quite difficult. It takes high level of discipline and diligence to keep up.
I know these exercises would indeed be very helpful if one could keep up with them diligently.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

The exercises are not that inspiring for me, which means that we are the same: they're not effective for both of us.

But I do think that it was helpful in a way, it got me to slow down things, slow down my rushing thoughts, and just helped me calm down as I did the exercises. Sad to say that it did not impact me so much.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

It's been a while since I read the book but I do remember doing certain exercises in between chapters. Honestly, it took a while for me to understand it's working but got a hang of it after a couple of tries. I feel these types of exercises need a good amount of understanding of the concepts and time but it's worth a try.
dcruzsammy
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcruzsammy.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by dcruzsammy »

Sharon Christanto wrote: 02 May 2022, 02:35 I've been doing the exercises too! In my opinion, these exercises need to be done several times. Revisit the journal prompt whenever I have time, contemplate, then rewrite the journal based on current situation. Changing our old self is not easy and it can't happen overnight. It's a continuous process :D
Yes, I do agree that it's not something that can be achieved by doing it once. I will have to find the will to keep on going back to it and review progress, because I definitely didn't before... 😅
Limpho Mojakisane
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

Ems100 wrote: 02 May 2022, 07:36 I did quite a few of the exercises. Although keeping up with exercises especially those from books on a daily basis is quite difficult. It takes high level of discipline and diligence to keep up.
I know these exercises would indeed be very helpful if one could keep up with them diligently.
I totally agree with you. I did some of them too but for the fact that I stopped doing them daily, I forgot some of the important aspects related to them. Therefore, I do think that performing them daily would be of great benefit.
Etini Willie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etini-willie.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Etini Willie »

I do the exercise in chapter 2 often. And it has always helped me to realize the areas in my life that I have not deployed my full arsenal of potentials to chase.

The last question in that exercise is the one that helps me to decide on how to chase that particular task. The question demands that we answer sincerely if we are over-applying our reactions when we get stuck in situations.

And if we analyse truly we always tend to react emotionally to a challenge and most times over react
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

Rob White wrote: 02 May 2022, 07:07 My favorite exercise in my book is dealing with the can-NOTS in my life. We are all a product of the culture in which we are born (family culture, community culture, ethnic culture), and also we are a product of the time in history in which we are raised. You can be sure all of that hand you a lot of can-NOTS. It seems we cannot escape the can-NOTS, but we can deal with them and render them harmless, aye? Thank you, all of you, for participating in this forum. Rob - author of the book.

Likeeeee. You just read my mind, Rob. So many can-NOTS, especially from religious and ethnic considerations. Dealing with my can-NOTS was also my favorite exercise.
Rob White
In It Together VIP
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Maestro Monologue

Post by Rob White »

I have found that the only way I can absorb empowering truths is to engage in self-talk that supports it, and engage in worldly-action that reinforces what I am learning. Hence, the reason for so many exercises in my book. When we define a success formula, we turn it into a concept. That is not enough. We have to turn it into a living practice if it is going to have any lasting effect. Again, that is why I loaded the book up with lots of exercises. Thank you for your wonderful feedback
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Yes, I too have done a few of the exercises mentioned in the book. Since you reminded me this, I want to go back and do some of the other exercises. The last time I did them was a long time ago. I found then quite useful. I want to do them again.
Kings1999
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kings1999.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Kings1999 »

To be honest, I didn’t do any of the exercises that was incorporated into the maestro monologue. I had the mind to do it but forgot completely, now that you mention it, I'll write it down and make sure to set a reminder for each day.

Return to “Discuss "The Maestro Monologue" by Rob White”