Religious Background

Use this forum to discuss the May 2022 Book of the month, "The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny" by Rob White.
The Nabongos Duchess
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-nabongos-duchess.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Re: Religious Background

Post by The Nabongos Duchess »

I think wether Islam or Hindu , the belief is that there is God.If readers agree with the concept of freedom of worship,this won't hinder any reader who wishes to enjoy a powerful story.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

The application of the scriptures was done in a way to strengthen what White was speaking about. I think he used factual verses that are not disputable truths which I found helped me understand their applicability to current life.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
June Moon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-june-moon.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by June Moon »

I think that everyone should keep an open mind about everything. Different religions can have both common as well as conflicting grounds but that shouldn't stop us from really acknowledging the meaning of what was referred. Personally I find reading about different religions and their opinions about the same thing to be quite enlightening. So I found the scriptures mentioned in this book to be enlightening too!
Boo_loves_books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boo-loves-books.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Boo_loves_books »

As much as I enjoyed the scriptural references, I believe they may deter some potential readers from enjoying the book. Besides people following different belief systems, some people have a negative view of Christian doctrines and do not recognize the Bible as a legitimate source of authority and wisdom. However, it is worth noting that there is no book that perfectly caters to every audience. As a writer, you have to identify your target audience and ensure your work adequately caters to them. If someone outside of your target audience (in this case, someone with a different belief system) happens to read and enjoy your work, then it is a bonus.
Wesley Friday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesley-friday.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Wesley Friday »

I think people of other religions may not enjoy the book as a result of the reliance on Biblical texts. Even as someone who is familiar with the Christian religion, it seemed odd to me that the author would rely on said scriptures when there is no indication in the title or the blurb that these texts will be encountered. I think readers non-religious readers and readers from other religions might find themselves a bit disappointed. A motivational piece does not necessarily have to draw from religious context unless of course it is made with a certain religious group in mind and it explicitly says so. I think a perfect example of a motivational book which utilizes the power of storytelling solely without reference to religion is Pablo Coelho's The Alchemist.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: Awesomely Awkward Dating Tips for Beginners by Tina Kowalski

Post by Hager Salem »

Actually it depends on the amount and places of usage, I didn't find them distracting in this book, but on the other hand, other book has too much Quoting that can be distracting and irrelevant to some readers.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: Awesomely Awkward Dating Tips for Beginners by Tina Kowalski

Post by Hager Salem »

I'm a Muslim and i did't have a problem. I think it depends on the way the examples are used and the amount of them. I read other books with excessive religious examples and it was annoying for me.
Versaty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-versaty.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Versaty »

While the uses of religious texts limit the number of self-help book audiences, however, in the case of Maestro Monologue, I think the circular knowledge inside is far much more pronounced than in the scriptural texts. And for this reason, most non-Muslim would still resonate with its content and gain effectively from it. Since the description and the cover page do not carry a religious element, I think prospective readers, who would be inspired by reviews and the cover page would most likely read with an open heart and in so doing, benefit effectively
Crabby69
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crabby69.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Crabby69 »

I felt the quotes used from the Bible was tied to the content in a neutral manner and they do not sounds to pronounce the Bible. So in this way, readers would still love the same way they would for other self help that don't have biblical texts
Wash William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wash-william.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Wash William »

I think a source of reference is needed to validate the author's point. But I would appreciate it more if the scriptural references were limited.
Agbata Donald 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-donald-1.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Agbata Donald 1 »

Unfortunately this book is a religious book. It would have been better off as non religious, as it will limit the pptential readers
Thompson Grace
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thompson-grace.html
Latest Review: Give insomnia the finger by Dr Feel Good

Post by Thompson Grace »

No doubt the scriptural citing will put off some people but on the other hand, it will draw some people to this book. I enjoyed this book more for its use of the scriptures.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Proof Readar »

Muslim and Hindu can relate well with the book because the tone and the structure of the book doesn't sound religious. However, some signs show that he doesn't speak English like that.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Proof Readar »

I am sure some Muslims would enjoy the book as much as Christians while some won't. This is because the open-hearted would make use of the all-around applicable lessons in the book. But the religious extremist might not. Well, after all, biblical texts in the book do not present the book to sound like preaching but the author sounds them as backings to his philosophical thoughts about life.
Park Cherri
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

I feel the brinks scriptures can be overlooked since that’s not the main thing to be learnt from the book.

Return to “Discuss "The Maestro Monologue" by Rob White”