Religious Background

Use this forum to discuss the May 2022 Book of the month, "The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny" by Rob White.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Religious Background

Post by Huini Hellen »

Most self-help books draw their illustrations and reference point from religious texts or doctrines. The Maestro Monologue , for example, extensively utilized scripture texts from the Bible as source of authority, on which the Rob White lay foundations for his discussions. Do you believe that this is strength that most self-help books need to capitalize on? Or do you think this may put off potential readers, who may not relate to the scripture text used? For instance, do you think a Muslim and a Hindu would enjoy this text as much as Christians would?
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

I think that using scripture definitely limits the audience. People who do not believe in Christianity will most likely not relate to the content. And, when a reader doesn't relate to the content, they tend to feel excluded. Most readers do not read to feel excluded.

That being said, not every book needs to be for everyone. This book is written with a certain audience (Christian believers) in mind. Non-Christians might enjoy the book for its other insights, but it is unlikely that non-believers will read the book if they know the book relies on scripture.
Matthew Little
Currently Reading: The Invisible Library
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthew-little.html
Latest Review: Wandering Feelings by Boyko Ovcharov
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Matthew Little »

Honestly, I didn't find the use of religious writings to be affecting my image of the book. The messages from the book and exercises can be universally applied to any person from any belief
Limpho Mojakisane
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

Due to a lot of cultural and spiritual differences amongst people, I don't really believe that some non-Christians would enjoy the scriptures quoted. Though what I love about Rob is that he has used the scriptures in a not too stereotypical Christian way so I believe that some other people who may not relate to the scripture text used may still find the book worth reading.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Well, most texts from the Bible are not truly religious and are truths. I don't think borrowing such texts would have any influence on the belief and religious views of a Non-Christian.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Ikechukwu+12345
Currently Reading: TBD
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-12345.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Ikechukwu+12345 »

In my opinion, the book is sincerely not a particular religion. The information communicated in the book is universal.
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

If the biblical texts are just used in such a way that Rob has used them in his book, we won't be scared that some potential reader would be put off because.

Generally, non Christians, who reads self-help books with open mind, won't feel excluded. The title is not emphasising any religion.
Etini Willie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etini-willie.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Etini Willie »

The Biblical references in the book does not in any way make.the book aligned to a religion.

The references are normal motivational quotes that can be referenced in a general sense. So for me, there is no religious background
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

I don't think it is written for only Christian audiences. Even if the message is based on Christian scripture, I feel like it doesn't discriminate against any other religion or nonreligion. The scriptural references are just pure truth that anyone would agree with. It shouldn't be rejected only because it came from the Bible.
Rob White
In It Together VIP
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Maestro Monologue

Post by Rob White »

I appreciate you folks for checking in with regard to whether or not this is a religious book. I see the bible as a practical, self-help manual. I believe if it is read correctly, you find tons of really great, practical advice in it. That is my sole reason for extracting quotes and using them in my book. Blessings for noticing that :) Rob
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Well, I think self-help books should read because they help you become a better person and not because they have some religious beliefs attached to them. Whatever religious text they use to write the book, The ultimate thing is that, it is beneficial to the reader irrespective of their religion.
Kings1999
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kings1999.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Kings1999 »

As a Christian, I appreciate the inclusion of spiritual references, but I think that self help books should be mainly focused on independently helping yourself.
Stellah Chege
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stellah-chege.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Stellah Chege »

I also felt that Rob did not overuse the scriptural references. The only problem one would have reading this book would be unless they are strictly conservative of their religion. I am Christian, but I also don't mind hearing what the Hindu or Islamic religion have to offer in terms of advice. All religions stem from philosophical individuals whose advice can be applied and become helpful. So this book could work for open minded non-christians.
Lindzy Herbrand
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: A Wrinkle in Time
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindzy-herbrand.html
Latest Review: the REMF, Hurry Up and Wait by Ray Dyer
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by Lindzy Herbrand »

The way the quotes were used from the Bible does not make it a religious book, and I don't think this should be a sole deterrent for others to skip it.
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuriya-albayaa.html
Latest Review: The Lockdown Collection by Barry Jacob

Post by Soraya Bayah »

I am a Muslim and I found it distracting to have to read verses from the Bible, but definitely understand that they hold meaning that relates to the book. Still, I would be happier to see a book that has no religious content and perhaps only quotes from history. I can not say I was disturbed, but rather prefer not to involve direct verses from any religious book. Yet I did see the relevance they had in each context. I can say I am neutral in this manner, as the book is certainly not religious in any way.

Return to “Discuss "The Maestro Monologue" by Rob White”