Religious Background

Use this forum to discuss the May 2022 Book of the month, "The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny" by Rob White.
Alicia_Soledad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia-soledad.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Religious Background

Post by Alicia_Soledad »

REIGNING20 wrote: 02 May 2022, 09:33 Most self-help books draw their illustrations and reference point from religious texts or doctrines. The Maestro Monologue , for example, extensively utilized scripture texts from the Bible as source of authority, on which the Rob White lay foundations for his discussions. Do you believe that this is strength that most self-help books need to capitalize on? Or do you think this may put off potential readers, who may not relate to the scripture text used? For instance, do you think a Muslim and a Hindu would enjoy this text as much as Christians would?
This can be both a strength and a weakness most times. I think it is a strength because it can appeal strongly to a particular audience, but it also have issues in terms that many people wont even be willing to try it out once they know it contains religious elements.
Harry Torsney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harry-torsney.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Harry Torsney »

I think a self-help book without biblical references should be better because of the belief of non-Christians.
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

Natalie Charlene wrote: 02 May 2022, 13:25 I think that using scripture definitely limits the audience. People who do not believe in Christianity will most likely not relate to the content. And, when a reader doesn't relate to the content, they tend to feel excluded. Most readers do not read to feel excluded.

That being said, not every book needs to be for everyone. This book is written with a certain audience (Christian believers) in mind. Non-Christians might enjoy the book for its other insights, but it is unlikely that non-believers will read the book if they know the book relies on scripture.
I could agree with this to a point. This author focused on biblical references, but there are other “inspirational” sayings out there from different people. The use of the Bible more than other inspirational sayings could limit the audience drastically.
clumsy smurf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clumsy-smurf.html
Latest Review: A Walk in the Twilight by John J Bosco Jr.

Post by clumsy smurf »

I didn't find religious stuff in the book but then it was not bad at all. I don't think there was a religious concept in the book. It was suited for all religion
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Religious content would always make readers double check if it suits them. It's a thin line where either it will go with our views and belief or against it, so it can restrict readers. If religion isn't a problem for the readers then it doesn't matter.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
AnnaMarie Collins
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamarie-collins.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AnnaMarie Collins »

I absolutely believe that basing a book on scripture will limit the audience, as not everyone will relate to the content. I don't enjoy books that are based on religion, so I wouldn't read this. It's important to note, however, that there is an audience for every book. If an author chooses to use scripture or religious documents in the creation of a book, it will alienate some, but it will draw others.
Blessing O 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-o-2.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Blessing O 2 »

I don't think the use of scriptures would really affect non-christian readers enjoying the book even though there might be a little effect. The book isn't religious and to me using the scriptures motivates my trust in the benefits I'd gain from the book.
Amberly Ayra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberly-ayra.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Amberly Ayra »

I think the target audience is very specific. I do see a lot of relation to Christianity, and a person of another religion might not be interested in this book. But for example, I'm from Mexico and here Christianity is one of the main religions, that's why there are people around me to whom I would recommend this book.
ShaniaGordon1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaniagordon1.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by ShaniaGordon1 »

I am honestly not into religiosity and spirituality content. I found it off putting at first. However, I respect Rob for that. This is his book and it reflects in his personality so I didn't mind. As I go through, I even take note of some biblical verses that resonate with me.
third agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-third-agbata.html
Latest Review: The Ant Called Tiny by Miles Phillip Lewis

Post by third agbata »

I didn't expect the author to put those Bible verse. Seriously, this book is meant for everybody, but everything might change because If those Bible verses. Especially to those people who lacks religious tolerance, they will dump the book at the first sight if those Bible verses
haileygutierrez95
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haileygutierrez95.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by haileygutierrez95 »

This is honestly what I found the most disturbing thing in the book. Well, I respect everyone's belief but accompanying a massive biblical material is too much and relating it to various contexts without that much relevance is off-putting.
Mariam Tj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by Mariam Tj »

I don't think the book is religious in any way. I am a Muslim and I was totally fine with the biblical references. It provided more insight into the book.
Larnie_12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Larnie_12 »

Well, the author used these texts from the Bible for clarification and spiritual purposes....but then because of cultural and religious differences, some set of people, mostly the non-christians won't enjoy the book.
Mozi Ken
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

Some self-help books indeed draw their context from the Bible. I think this would affect potential readers who don't believe in the Bible, like people of religions other than Christianity. But, on the other hand, some with open minds might read the book for the knowledge it would give them, and I think Maestro Monologue is the kind of book that would motivate a person to read it.
bishop_444
Favorite Book: Yesterday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bishop-444.html
Latest Review: The Reject Bench by James H Morgan

Post by bishop_444 »

I think that having any kind of religious text limits the audience. It can be quite distracting. Most people with faith tend to lean on their book of religion, not self-help books. I also like to be aware if anything involving any religion, including snippets of scripture, is in the book. So, yes, I think it absolutely puts off potential readers.

Return to “Discuss "The Maestro Monologue" by Rob White”