Religious Background

Use this forum to discuss the May 2022 Book of the month, "The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny" by Rob White.
Rex Rexy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rex-rexy.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Religious Background

Post by Rex Rexy »

I understand that the author draws inspiration from the Bible. Beyond that though, the book can be of great help to any person regardless of religious affiliation. Self discovery is what everyone should appreciate.
Moyin Loveth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moyin-loveth.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Moyin Loveth »

I don't think the book would be unsuitable for christians since the author draws knowledge from biblical scriptures to corroborate his messages. The inclusion of biblical verses was, in my opinion, a minor theme compared to other aspects in the book.
Matilda jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matilda-jack.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by Matilda jack »

When a book is written with a particular mindset, it becomes difficult for a human whose mind is built on a different to accept the information within the book. I'm neutral, and I do not let the religious context of a book dissuade me from reading it, but a lot of people are quite sensitive about the religious background of the book they read.
Kelsey Roy
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Kelsey Roy »

I think religious-based books impact the readers ability to relate to the text and enjoy or learn something from the book. For instance, as a Christian I tend to relate more to books that are based on Biblical concepts because I'm familiar with the stories and values. I am not saying that readers cannot gain valuable insight from books leaning in a different theological direction than they're used to, but the concepts are likely less familiar and therefore may be more relatable. To answer the question, I do think that the Christian basis for The Maestro Monologue would put off some readers of different faith backgrounds or those unfamiliar with the Bible.
Mechito Mecherchito
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mechito-mecherchito.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Mechito Mecherchito »

In my opinion, the religious background does not influence the reader. I am a Christian myself, but I have read books that are based on the Qur'an and they have been very interesting to me. People differ in their religious beliefs and this is neither new nor foreign.
Tessy Bullion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tessy-bullion.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Tessy Bullion »

I think anybody from any religious background would enjoy this book. They will benefit from it because the aim of the book is to help readers become better versions of themselves, not to convert anyone to any particular religion.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

I like self help books that highlight the authors beliefs especially because they seem much more authentic to me. You can’t write a self help book to suit everyone , you are supposed to write based on your own experiences.
Lumish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lumish.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Lumish »

I believe that this book is not a religious book. Therefore, I have no reason to believe that people from other religions like Islam, Hindu, etc. will not benefit from it.
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

Basing self-help on something as big as religion limits the target audience. And scripture is subjective, so how the author might interpret it might not be the same that another christian would interpret it. So it wouldn't even apply to the majority of the christian audience. I would have prefered it be devoid of any religious connotations. Regardless, it had beautiful sentiments and lessons.
Mosele 19
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mosele-19.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Mosele 19 »

, I don't really believe that some non-Christians would enjoy the scriptures quoted. This is because the quotes are drawn from the holy bible
Mosele 19
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mosele-19.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Mosele 19 »

don't think it is written for only Christian audiences. Even if the message is based on Christian scripture, I feel like it doesn't discriminate against any other religion or nonreligion. The way the quotes were used from the Bible does not make it a religious book too
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

I didn't find the scriptural quoting bad. I was however more certain that this is what it is. And it shows how authentic this book is.
Juliet Keith
Currently Reading: Think and Live Longer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-keith.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Juliet Keith »

Basing the book on religious text definitely narrows down the audience but anyone can still read such books and draw something from them.
Faatimah Noormahomed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faatimah-noormahomed.html
Latest Review: Karrana by Anne Skyvington
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Faatimah Noormahomed »

I am a Muslim, and I honestly did not feel that the use of Bible verses in the book affected my overall enjoyment while reading. Although the verses quoted do have spiritual undertones, I think the way the author used them made sense in the text in terms of the principles that he was talking about at a particular time in the book.
Shakon90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shakon90.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shakon90 »

Honestly, I didn't find the use of religious writings to be affecting my image of the book. The messages from the book and exercises can be universally applied to any person from any belief

Return to “Discuss "The Maestro Monologue" by Rob White”