Religious Background

Use this forum to discuss the May 2022 Book of the month, "The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny" by Rob White.
Raquel Sojo
Currently Reading: Egomaniac
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raquel-sojo.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Re: Religious Background

Post by Raquel Sojo »

I don't think that the fact that it contains some quotes from the bible makes it by default a book with a religious tone. It will depend on how open people of different religions than Christianity are to tolerate and understand these quotes for what they are beyond religious beliefs.
Moses mark joe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Moses mark joe »

Due to a lot of cultural and spiritual differences amongst people, , I appreciate the inclusion of spiritual references here
Zolex Paula Avina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zolex-paula-avina.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Zolex Paula Avina »

Yes, I think the scriptures included affect the perception of non- Christians towards the book. Honestly, inspirational writing can do without inclusion of religious content. The point of the book is something that is universally so there's no concrete reason to appeal to the beliefs of a section of the society.
kajal31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajal31.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by kajal31 »

I think that every religious scripture and its history tell us something to learn. In my opinion, God is one. The way we connect to God is different for different people. In my opinion, if any self-help book includes religious texts, then the book is helping us to improve our lives and gives us something to learn. So, it is okay to include those texts. In the book the biblical text included is universal and everyone can relate to that, despite not being Christian.
CatNationhood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catnationhood.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by CatNationhood »

I think that anyone will enjoy reading this book. The reason for this is because the lesson it teaches are lessons of life. Everyone who reads this will benefit from it regardless of their faith.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

I find that a lot of thematic intersections and overlapping exist among the major religious belief systems. The way Christian text aka the Bible was used here as a basis of a universal principle is tasteful. I don't think it deters a lot of people from other religions from extracting value from the book.
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

Personally, after reading the scripture in the book I immediately withdrew, since I am not very religious I just kind of sighed. I just wanted one self-help book that doesn't contain religious notions.
Judyread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judyread.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Judyread »

Even though the author made use of Bible references I still think anyone from any religion should read this book.
Lawrence+2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawrence-2.html
Latest Review: The Ranting of an Uneducated Reactionary by Oscar J. Phillips

Post by Lawrence+2 »

Well, in as much as the religious reference in the book can limit the audience, I believe that if someone actually wants to get something he could go an extra mile for it.
Jenifer Payton
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Heart Bones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenifer-payton.html
Latest Review: Amulet's Rapture by Linnea Tanner

Post by Jenifer Payton »

I think that using scripture to create a book that's meant to help others realize their potential and self-worth is a great way to go. However, I also see how that would put off any potential readers that aren't religious or have a different religion than the one that inspired said writing. I think that if there were people throughout the different religions that used those different religions' writings to make books for their religions then that would benefit those readers in the way that their religion was meant to. But that means that there would have to be someone well versed enough in their religion and with the drive enough to write a book to publish for other people of their religion to read and use in their lives. Overall, it's definitely beneficial to come out with a book like this that could be read and understood by everyone despite their religious beliefs.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

In my opinion, I will say this book was not strictly for delivers and is also not religious in any way thanks.
bishop_444
Favorite Book: Yesterday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bishop-444.html
Latest Review: The Reject Bench by James H Morgan

Post by bishop_444 »

I believe using anything religious in a self-help book limits the audience significantly. I'm sure there are a plethora of self-help books based on certain religions. Most people find strength in their said religion; therefore, they would most likely pick said religious self-help. Also, you have a chance of offending or isolating someone of another faith or someone that rejects anything religious.
Glorious Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glorious-jack.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Glorious Jack »

The book has a lot of quotes from the Bible, but I do not believe that should deter an individual that does not practice Christianity from enjoy and benefiting from this book.
Hamisha Bhana
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hamisha-bhana.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Hamisha Bhana »

In my opinion, the book relies on on scripture as an authoritative source to validate the techniques.

I believe non-Christians could find it challenging to read and implement the techniques as they may struggle with interpreting the relevance of the quotes in the text.

That being said, Rob is mindful in his approach and usage of scripture in the text.

Overall, the book is aimed at a Christian audience primarily. It is a wonderful read, well written for a God conscious or spiritual individual will find encouragement in the pages.
Kehinde Hussein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kehinde-hussein.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Kehinde Hussein »

I think it would actually put off religious persons from reading the book. Religion really plays a dominant force in people's lives and people of other religions might see those Bible contents as contradictory and against their faith.

Return to “Discuss "The Maestro Monologue" by Rob White”