What did you try before The Maestro Monologue?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2022 Book of the month, "The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny" by Rob White.
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

What did you try before The Maestro Monologue?

Post by ellimctreph »

The book gives advice on life and bettering yourself, a lot of which were unique solutions to specific problems. What did try to rectify your problems before you came across the book?
Rob White
In It Together VIP
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Maestro Monologue

Post by Rob White »

Before I wrote this book, and a big reason I wrote this book, is because I found that I spent a lot of time trying to smear over my negative attitudes about myself and life. I would affirm "positive statement" over and over. That's what I tried to rectify problems in my life. My intent was to rid myself of my negative attitude. What I learned, eventually, was that when we affirm positive statements, to smear them over negative thoughts, we reinforce the negative energy. The answer is to look directly at the negativity, see it for the lie it is telling you, and then call an MD, so you can get back on the path to real productivity. Thank you for asking this question, Ellim :) Rob
Lindzy Herbrand
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: A Wrinkle in Time
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindzy-herbrand.html
Latest Review: the REMF, Hurry Up and Wait by Ray Dyer
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by Lindzy Herbrand »

Rob White wrote: 06 May 2022, 15:35 I found that I spent a lot of time trying to smear over my negative attitudes about myself and life. I would affirm "positive statement" over and over. That's what I tried to rectify problems in my life. My intent was to rid myself of my negative attitude. What I learned, eventually, was that when we affirm positive statements, to smear them over negative thoughts, we reinforce the negative energy. The answer is to look directly at the negativity, see it for the lie it is telling you…
@Rob White, insightful, and such a true statement.

It is important not only to have positive self-talk, but also to acknowledge the negative self-talk and shoot it down as wrong.

*expletive*, I’m an idiot!
No, you are certainly *not* an idiot. You are human, and you make mistakes. It’s okay to be embarrassed. Don’t call yourself an idiot. You are smart and capable.

Instead of

*expletive*, I’m an idiot!
You are smart, you are smart, you are smart.

The first helps reframe the mindset, the second is merely a distraction.
Ternia C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ternia-c.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ternia C »

This is such an amazing question. Thank you for asking and I'm so happy to read the author's reply!
Rob White
In It Together VIP
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Maestro Monologue

Post by Rob White »

When I ask folks what they tried before they read my book and discovered "The Maestro," I am surprised with what they tell me. One person told me he tried anxiously to win over everyone else by reading a lot of self-help books and having all the answers. He had to be right or he'd put up a fight. When I asked him how that worked out for him, he laughed heartily. He then responded, "I tried to banish my feelings of inferiority by becoming a haughty know-it-all. This self-centeredness left me feeling lonely and even more insecure, which gave even more life to my Intruder."

The Maestro Monologue is certainly not the only way to a better live, but it is a way :) Rob
Ndicka99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndicka99.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson

Post by Ndicka99 »

Mostly, before now I knew about the power of positive thinking and positive proclamations in trying to deal with my problems. Before now I did practice these alongside meditation with little or no success.
Destiny Freedom
Favorite Book: The Most Unlikely Champion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-aaton.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Destiny Freedom »

Actually, I'm a person who believes that at every stage of my life, I should seek to improve on one or two of my attitudes and have always engaged books which can help me in achieving this. I did practice calmness and have achieved a satisfying level of calmness no matter how angry I might be.
Many books can inform you but there's only one that can transform you(The Holy Bible). Pls don't forget to drop a comment for this review. Thanks. :D :tiphat:
Fanny Lebura Ueh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fanny-lebura-ueh.html
Latest Review: Clueless & Headstrong by Eyvonne Black

Post by Fanny Lebura Ueh »

Before now, I tried hard to downplay the negatives. However, they always found a way to reappear. I didn't know there was a better and direct way to handle the impostor. Thanks to the techniques I found in this book.
Rob White
In It Together VIP

Post by Rob White »

I did not put this short story of mine in my book, but it is a cute example I made up that helps us see what it really takes to be "marvelously made," which we always are.
A redwood tree seed asked it's mom, "What do I have to do to be a majestic redwood tree like you. The seed's mom lovingly responds, Just be yourself dear."
It seems doing what comes naturally brings out our marvelously made nature every time (for all living beings). That's really the bottom line that all authors are trying to get to when they write a spiritual self-help book, aye?

I'm glad I was able to share that with you. I often thought, "Should I have put that somewhere at the end of the book? Rob
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

Before I read this book, I was conscious that I procrastinate a lot, and I have tried different time management skills to tackle it. One that has been effective is eating the frog. I deal with the most difficult tasks first. And it has been helping.
Rob White
In It Together VIP

Post by Rob White »

The practice of "eating the frog before the frog eats you" - nice one Lumen. Indeed, procrastination (the frog) will gobble up all of your time, if you don't "just do it" ... do what needs doing. That's a great practice, and i'm glad you brought it up

My book talks about the Intruder loving that you procrastinate, for that's when it get's its way, which is to get in your way from advancing in the direction of your dreams.

Teacher: What do you do if your computer goes haywire?
Student: Examine the matter and take steps to correct it.
Teacher: what about when your lawnmower goes on the fritz?
Student: Examine the matter and take steps to correct it.
Teacher: And what if your life-plans goes haywire; then what do you do?
Student: Procrastinate and hesitate and come up with excuses to explain it.
Teacher: Thank you for your honesty. What might be an alternative move to make?
Nwankwo GC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-gc.html
Latest Review: The Chosen by Brandy Marks

Post by Nwankwo GC »

I usually wished away the impostor before reading this book, but after reading, I found a better and more proactive way to deal with him. Thanks to Rob White.
Favour Yahaya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-yahaya.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Favour Yahaya »

Before I ready this book, i knew how to deal with negative thought. The book give me more technique.
Rob White
In It Together VIP

Post by Rob White »

I love your comment, inspired by reading my book, Sally: "I did practice calmness and have achieved a satisfying level of calmness no matter how angry I might be." That's a perfect example of paying attention to what you're paying attention to. When you can perceive "calm" in the midst of feeling upset... perfect opportunity to intervene so "calm" can steal the show :)

Most of us haven't clues how we get what we get in life, until we do have clues. Your example of calmness in the presence of anger is a great clue to being The Maestro when the Intruder is butting in :) Thank you Rob
Amazonic
Currently Reading:

Post by Amazonic »

I tried to raise my shoulders high but negatives majorly downplayed my efforts, not until I read this amazing book, now I've got better ways to deal with any circumstance along my way

Return to “Discuss "The Maestro Monologue" by Rob White”