Can a man be free if he is not yet a master of himself?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2022 Book of the month, "The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny" by Rob White.
The Uklighter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-uklighter.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Can a man be free if he is not yet a master of himself?

Post by The Uklighter »

How can you be a master of yourself while being a slave to something else. There can only be one master and if you desire freedom, you had better work to get that rein of control into your own hands. Only then can you ever be free.
Jatto Onimisi
Currently Reading: Shitolian
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jatto-onimisi.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Jatto Onimisi »

To be free, one must first realize that the yoke that holds one down is in the head - then comes freedom.

Mastery is a product of having practiced and established one's strength in a field.
So I think mastery can aid the process of realizing freedom. And in freedom, one can achieve mastery in as many fields as possible.

But to be a master of oneself is difficult, for many factors interplay with our self, and they are powerful. We can only learn to manipulate those factors to align with our will. In doing so, we can be masters.
Corrie-Lynn Penny
Currently Reading: Thunderhead
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corrie-lynn-penny.html
Latest Review: Consciousness Unbundled by Jack Veffer

Post by Corrie-Lynn Penny »

I beleive that one can be free to make their own choices, but yet not be a master of themself. Being a master includes the confidence in making the best choices which can take time and experience.
Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olomofe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Olomofe »

Well, people choose paths for different reasons. Naturally, everyone wouldn't want to be controlled by someone. But in the matter of job, some people who are freelance could still work under person, but do freelancing as side job. One big reason is to add to income and another reason is to have a work on their own which they can render.
Chiwendu Ikechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwendu-ikechukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chiwendu Ikechukwu »

I don't know what people define as being masters of themselves, but In my own opinion, I think being a master has to do capacity and maturity. It simply implies that you can be under the mentorship of someone, and yet be a master of yourself.
Itz Savaga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

You can only be a master of your own life when you've conquered the loser inside you, quite making endless excuses and go in the direction of your dreams with so much passion.
Blossy20
Currently Reading: Understanding the business of health care
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blossy20.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Blossy20 »

Epicetus was not referring to employment in this quote. What the quote means is that a person's liberty is established by self-control and self-discipline.
TusharJoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tusharjoshi.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by TusharJoshi »

Identifying one's own needs and serving to fulfill them should always take priority. However, this is easier said than done. The self-discipline required to serve oneself is something that not many people possess!
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

I see both sides of the coin in this quote. On the one hand is your idea of being your own master, who moves the direction and the order. And on the other hand, without being able to master yourself or your inner self, you cannot live fully. But in the end, only one thing is important, to give your best to the world.
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

I strongly believe that a person is free when he or she is a master of himself or herself. Inner freedom needs to happen emotionally, morally, financially, spiritually, mentally, and physically. Fear is the greatest illusion that keeps us from reaching our full potential. Get rid of fear of any kind and you are on the right path to discovering your true self. 
If you are having a bad day, let people see that you are having a good day...Spread good vibes, people are going through a lot already. :tiphat:
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jelly_J »

For me, the answer is No. A man has to master himself to be free. The maestro has to be ascertained for freedom to be experienced. As long as the intruder is present, there would be hindrances to total freedom.
Mozi Ken
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

I think people choose to be self-employed because they want to be their masters. But I don't think that they're as completely free as they think they are. This is because one's responsibilities will always move one to work hard and struggle to survive. The only difference is that the person does it on their own time.
Rex Rexy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rex-rexy.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rex Rexy »

The challenge is that if you are not the master of yourself, you would allow external factors to determine and chart the course of your life. A typical example of this external factor is the criticism of people. When you master yourself, you would understand that criticisms are just opinions harshly expressed.
Chubiojo Osayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chubiojo-osayi.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Chubiojo Osayi »

No,
I would like to use the case of living under your parents roof,a person doesn't have total freedom from the parents so far they are still fending from the parents resources and living under their roof;it is until a person gains financial Independence that the amount of freedom they have increases.
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio-inocencio.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 2%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

Most of the times good wages cost your freedom. You become a slave and your life is miserable. Becoming a master of yourself is watching in a position of Bill gates for instance, he is rich a still his own boss.

Return to “Discuss "The Maestro Monologue" by Rob White”