Can a man be free if he is not yet a master of himself?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2022 Book of the month, "The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny" by Rob White.
Agbata Donald 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-donald-1.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Re: Can a man be free if he is not yet a master of himself?

Post by Agbata Donald 1 »

Yes of course. Some people were born with a silver spoon, why some are not. It is not a guarantee that those who were not born with a silver cannot be free. They may have to serve
ELSETH MAEVE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elseth-maeve.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by ELSETH MAEVE »

I agree that a guaranteed monthly salary is a beautiful thought, but only in a liberalised society. I hope I am not wrong, but I think that freelancing can be a good thing. If you have a good track record as a banker, I think that these banking institutions will always back you up. I also agree that you are only free, if you are master of yourself.
Thompson Grace
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thompson-grace.html
Latest Review: Give insomnia the finger by Dr Feel Good

Post by Thompson Grace »

For me, I think humanity is submitted to authority. It could be divinely, nature, etc. You are free but the authority you are submitted under limits certain things.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

No, that is the definitive response. Being in complete control of your life, free from outside interference, is the only way to become a master.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Proof Readar »

Logically speaking, the more you become aware of yourself and be a mastreo, the more you are free. However, there can be different one can use to easily be aware of where or to whom they belong.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Proof Readar »

Naturally, our spirit guilds us in making everyday choices even without having learned to become masters of ourselves. However, to be free through becoming a matereo is to believe in a group of life's guiding principles and know what we believe.
Online Concept
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezel-dornelles.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Online Concept »

A lot choose this path because even with the financial security they get from their jobs, it is not enough to settle their expenses. Being your own boss can also drive you to financial security.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

Many want to be able to dictate what happens in their life and journey without being under anyone. Most employers tend to impeach on the freedom of their employees.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Post by Emeka Emordi »

A man cannot be free without mastering himself. You have to know yourself, who you are, what you want to be in life and other things before you can make the efforts in becoming who you want to be and ultimately become free. No man is free in ignorance.
Rose Tamuno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-tamuno.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rose Tamuno »

Wy_Bertram wrote: 18 May 2022, 12:26 I believe it's usually the actions of employers that drive people to seek individual success. Any employer with a good business model and relationship with their employees probably won't have to deal with this issue, but the innate greed of capitalism leads to unfair wages, and most people are realising that freelancing is a viable alternative.

I do agree that this line of work comes with incredible risks, but the fact that a lot of people are choosing this path still, likely says more about business leaders than the employees involved.
I share the same thoughts with you.
Rose Tamuno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-tamuno.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rose Tamuno »

Robert Obikanyi wrote: 18 May 2022, 05:52 Epictetus said, "No man is free who is not a master of himself".

I see many hindrances to fulfill this quote in today's world since 'me' is not the only factor that determines how I should be. This is similar to the concept of 'free will' which can raise issues when trying to apply practically.

But I would like to direct this topic to a recent trend that I noticed. People used to work under employers for quite a long time. There have been (and there will be as well) many conflicts between employers and employees regarding rights of each other, working hours, salary, etc. But today many people have become gig workers / freelancers who are employed under no one, but work by themselves. So you are the boss of your own self. IMO It is not a very safe way to have an income since you are not guaranteed a fixed pay, and you do not have a job agreement or a payslip to forward to a bank to get a loan, which can be very crucial at times. Yet more and more people choose this path.

Is it because people feel like being their own masters is better than good financial security? Are people that much reluctant to be or work under someone else?
Being a master of your own self comes and cyber way. Amos come in the way of managing your time properly dictating your dos and don'ts and sticking to them and so much more. If you're not a master of yourself then you're a slave to your desires and so much more.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

There are a lot of reasons why many choose to work as freelancers. To some, it might be that they are tired of working under toxic bosses while to others it might be that they didn't have any choice but to work as a freelancer. Although this has its con and pros, but to every man his thoughts.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

Yes, I agree with you. No man can be free unless he become the master of himself. It is when he has freed himself from all hindrances and have created a new world for himself that is wen he can be a master.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

To be completely honest, if a man is still a slave to himself, he is also still a slave to everything else in his environment, both material and spiritual. Therefore, a man can only be genuinely free once he learns to control himself.
Fanny Lebura Ueh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fanny-lebura-ueh.html
Latest Review: Clueless & Headstrong by Eyvonne Black

Post by Fanny Lebura Ueh »

Most individuals aren't willing to serve, I believe, which is the problem. Before becoming a master, I think one must first serve. Due to the idea of following directions from others, relatively few people today want to work.

Return to “Discuss "The Maestro Monologue" by Rob White”