Can a man be free if he is not yet a master of himself?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2022 Book of the month, "The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny" by Rob White.
owobanji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owobanji.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Can a man be free if he is not yet a master of himself?

Post by owobanji »

Terryl Vahsholtz wrote: 18 May 2022, 14:48 I agree that employers do many times drive individuals to seek their own employment. What I have noticed, humans want to be in charge of their own destiny, some more than others, depending on their personality. To be truly independent is the founding principle.

There are many cases of a company that has a great organization with great leadership and communication. The employees would not leave the organization for anything. As long as this organization continues to put the employees first and not become greedy it will remain solvent.

With that said, because of COVID and many working from home, the feeling of freedom has be ingrained in the hearts of many individuals, that even the benefits have become less important.

I totally agree with you, the inert greed of the employer drives the employee to seek their own employment. But what about the aspect of humans wanting to be in charge of their own destiny. I think, that in all, even the employee has the inert desire to seek their own employment, we should understand that the employer's greed is just helping to fan its flame
Mar007
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Mar007 »

The answer to the question is found in one of the oldest philosophical debate of all time subject to various interpretation:'Know Thyself between Socrates and Aristotle!
While Socrates affirming 'True wisdom is knowing what you do not know the limit of one's wisdom and understanding. Whereas, Aristotle believed'Knowing Thyself is the beginning of all wisdom'.Here, Aristotle stressed the need one to develop good relationship with oneself is the beginning of exploits as no man can master anything unless one has conquered oneself! Here's both philosophers are correct,hence the answer given depended on the kind of man ones is talking about!
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

Working with an employer has its advantage and disadvantage. This kind of contract creates a set of working conditions which entitle you to be paid a certain amount. However, if you wish to change any of the conditions, the employer must agree. Working freelance offers more freedom. You are the master of your own destiny.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Man can't be free until he is the master of himself. Not everyone will be fulfilled working for themselves and not everyone will be succesful working for others. So until one identify's which one works for him he cant be free from all within and outside that he is slave to.
Perfect Ojonugwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-perfect-ojonugwa.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Perfect Ojonugwa »

The problem, I believe, is that most individuals are unwilling to serve. Before becoming a master, I believe that one must first serve. Few people nowadays want to work because they don't want to be subjected to directions from others.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I don't see a genuine connection between the idea of being free and not working under an employer for an extended time. Whether you work for someone or work for yourself is not what I think of as "freedom." Any work requires the same basic discipline, ethics and morality level, and communication skills if one is successful. You have to work for it either way. An employed person and a self-employed person have responsibilities they must fulfill.

I do think true freedom comes only with responsibility. The more a person can be "in the driver's seat" of his life, the more he can cause his freedoms. If one is responsible for what happens in his arena, then others don't have to bypass him and take over on some missed action or unrecognized scenario.

Ethics and morals are degrading in our society, including in some businesses and/or their employers. I applaud a person who decides to change his work environment or even his profession to improve his life.
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

I have heard before that no one can give you autonomy - it is something that you must hold on to and not give away in order to be an autonomous person. I believe you can be a master of yourself even if you work for someone else, especially if you work in an environment that is positive and allows you to creativity and independently perform your job. However, if you are not in a place that would support this, you would make the decision that you will not settle and give your power/autonomy to a place that wishes to micromanage or has a negative environment and thereby you would take your power back by leaving.
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King
Tahiru Jegga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tahiru-jegga.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Tahiru Jegga »

I actually think freedom had a lot to do with mastery. Else, a person would still be a slave to forces outside him. But when he masters himself, he's free to truly express himself.
Reino AZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Reino AZ »

This whole idea varies with different people and their mindsets . Some people just want to live a life where they enjoy financial freedom and this can also be achieved without necessarily being a master of their selves. Meanwhile some people just want to have the pleasure of being in control
That not withstanding, you can’t really be a master of yourself on less you are your boss because you will forever be entitled to taken others and not having enough time for yourself and that of course is a very had situation to deal with.
Glorious4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glorious4.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Glorious4 »

Recently, so many people want to be independent, their own master, because most have seen the darkside of working under someone, and have most likely gotten burned.
It's not easy being a freelancer and doing everything by yourself, but the alternative is not much better for most.
Deborah9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborah9.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Deborah9 »

I believe it is more a matter of being in control of one's life and all that it consists of, in essence, one's time and by extension, one's freedom.
Everyone desires to be able to do what they want when they want and so we strive to attain these regardless of mastery in whatever field or lack of it. As much as mastery of oneself is crucial, it might not necessarily be the basis for one's freedom.
Irene Serna

Post by Irene Serna »

No, a man cannot be free who is not a master of himself. Our problems, emotions, passions we need to rule over them or they ruled over us.
Aishveenkaur
Currently Reading:

Post by Aishveenkaur »

This question reminds me of an excerpt from one of Anees Jung's books called Lost Spring - Stories of Stolen Childhood.
One of the many stories in the book was titled 'Sometimes I find a Rupee in the garbage' and talked about Saheb, the son of a ragpicker, who enjoys his life no matter his family's condition. The job that his father does to earn money, he does the same thing as a mode of fun. He scavenges through garbage and rags for amusement. Though, this is very sad as he has been stolen from his childhood yet the only thing he has is his freedom to do whatever he wishes, which later in the story is also said to be taken when he begins to work in a tea stall where ''
The steel canister seems heavier than the plastic bag he would carry so lightly over his shoulder.You might like me, think in the first instance after reading this that isn't this some kind of progress? No
He was already deprived of his childhood when he used to play with garbage instead of toys and when his poor family was unable to provide proper nutrition to him but now in addition to all this he has gone into the hold of child labour which is the reason for lost childhood for many children. As the author states and I quote, "Sahib is no longer his own master" which means all that kept him happy was his freedom which now is also taken away alongside many other things that he has been deprived of in his childhood. Anees say, "His face, I see, has lost the carefree look." referring to his added unhappiness in life. So no, a man will never be free if he is not a master of himself. I do not mean to make you think of your jobs as cages but rather cages are those which take away your happiness and you miss what you had before you got into them. Some people love their job so much that it brings them happiness, so they choose to do it and hence be free because they are their own masters. But the moment indulges in things that make you feel deprived of joy that is when you are considered to not be free because you are letting something else or someone else to control your choices and life.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

Absolutely no! A man is not free as a slave himself. Rather, by getting to know who he truly is, he can grasp a hold of himself and take positive actions toward becoming what he truly desires. Hence, there is captivity for a man who doesn't know himself.
AnnaMarie Collins
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamarie-collins.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AnnaMarie Collins »

Wow, this is a really thought-provoking question. I may have a different point of view than others, just based on who I am as a person; I hate being told what to do. It's not that I'm trying to be difficult or bratty, but, out of necessity, I became fiercely independent and proud as a young child. I'd rather have lean times than feel like I'm running the rat race. However, my husband is the opposite, so I can 100% see things from both sides. I think everyone just has to make the best decision for themselves, based on things like how their brain works or what their values are.
Thanks for the great question!

Return to “Discuss "The Maestro Monologue" by Rob White”