Can a man be free if he is not yet a master of himself?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2022 Book of the month, "The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny" by Rob White.
Robert Obikanyi
Currently Reading: Swiss Family Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izuchukwu-obi.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Can a man be free if he is not yet a master of himself?

Post by Robert Obikanyi »

Epictetus said, "No man is free who is not a master of himself".

I see many hindrances to fulfill this quote in today's world since 'me' is not the only factor that determines how I should be. This is similar to the concept of 'free will' which can raise issues when trying to apply practically.

But I would like to direct this topic to a recent trend that I noticed. People used to work under employers for quite a long time. There have been (and there will be as well) many conflicts between employers and employees regarding rights of each other, working hours, salary, etc. But today many people have become gig workers / freelancers who are employed under no one, but work by themselves. So you are the boss of your own self. IMO It is not a very safe way to have an income since you are not guaranteed a fixed pay, and you do not have a job agreement or a payslip to forward to a bank to get a loan, which can be very crucial at times. Yet more and more people choose this path.

Is it because people feel like being their own masters is better than good financial security? Are people that much reluctant to be or work under someone else?
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

I believe it's usually the actions of employers that drive people to seek individual success. Any employer with a good business model and relationship with their employees probably won't have to deal with this issue, but the innate greed of capitalism leads to unfair wages, and most people are realising that freelancing is a viable alternative.

I do agree that this line of work comes with incredible risks, but the fact that a lot of people are choosing this path still, likely says more about business leaders than the employees involved.
Good--writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-good-writer_3423672.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Good--writer »

Absolutely No. You can only be a master when you have total control of your life without the intruder interfering.
Terryl Vahsholtz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terryl-vahsholtz.html
Latest Review: Why God Allows Evil and Suffering by Sine Nomine

Post by Terryl Vahsholtz »

I agree that employers do many times drive individuals to seek their own employemet. What I have noticed, humans want to be in charge of their own destiny, some more than others, depending on their personality. To be truly independent is the founding principle.

There are many cases of a company that has a great organization with great leadership and communication. The employees would not leave the organization for anything. As long as this organization continues to put the employees first and not become greedy it will remain solvent.

With that said, because of COVID and many working from home, the feeling of freedom has be ingrained in the hearts of many individuals, that even the benefits have become less important.
Oluwapelumi Rachael
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-rachael.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluwapelumi Rachael »

I think the issue is that most people are not willing to serve. I believe that one must serve first, before becoming a master. These days, very few people want to be employed because of the thought of receiving orders from other people.
ZhanLu
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhanlu.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by ZhanLu »

Oluwapelumi Rachael wrote: 18 May 2022, 17:54 I think the issue is that most people are not willing to serve. I believe that one must serve first, before becoming a master. These days, very few people want to be employed because of the thought of receiving orders from other people.
Exactly my thought that I was about to convey until I read your post. True that most people are not willing to serve and receive orders from above their positions. I, myself, don't like the thought of fixed time to go and come back from work, fixed salary and fixed holidays. Everything is fixed. Don't you think that kind of life is monotonous? No flexible hours and no freedom to explore, experiment and experience. I very much agree with what you have said.
Yamini mathur
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Hill of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yamini-mathur.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Yamini mathur »

Quoting your question
'Can a man be free if he is not a master of himself?'

To this, I'd like to quote one of my favorite philosopher's quote from the book "The ancient wisdom of Ashtavakra'
'You are one observer of all and in reality always free.
Your bondage is this - you see the other, not yourself, as the observer and the doer.'

'He who considers himself free is free, and he who considers himself bound is bound.'

What we are doing is what we observe, what we see with our eyes on the outside and that is what goes back into our brain.
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

If a man is still a slave to himself; then, he's still enslaved to things around him both physical and spiritual. So a man can truly be free when he becomes a master of himself.
Ruth Frances A
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

Freedom to be a master of oneself, right? That is interesting but quite true.

I think freedom refers to free will and a clear understanding of the “I am” that Rob talks about in the Maestro Monologue. Once you strip away your misunderstandings and obtain the ultimate understanding, you can be free. Subsequently, you consider several factors as you go about your business and other activities at work. You will adhere to work ethics. Your decisions and choices will be based on the above. When you are your own master, you are held accountable for your decisions and actions, be they good or bad. Yes, the environment may be toxic, tempting, and test your integrity, yet you will be inclined to respond according to who you are, the authentic self, or the intruder. Your choice, right or might, your call.
Aroma Perez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aroma-perez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Aroma Perez »

A man is someone who is aged, and I agree with the statement that no man is free until he is not a master of himself. To be a human also has struggles, setbacks, and challenges along the way that made people resilient and hone their inner maestro. If that man is not ready to hone himself through the adversaries along his way, then he is not entitled to that freedom.
Flourish_2022
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-2022.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Flourish_2022 »

Mastering ones emotions is the freedom. It helps you make better choices. One can be a prisoner of their own self and thought. But when one comes to that place where you are not bound by how you feel and you can control it, only then can you be the master of your own self.
Ella Oyieko
Favorite Book: The Mindset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ella-oyieko.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ella Oyieko »

Man is the maestro of his mind. He cannot be free so it's a No for me.
Ahñ Mèiã
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ah-m-i.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Ahñ Mèiã »

Surely no, he'll be like a falling tree leaf which the wind plays with it and carries it wherever it wants! Like a prisoner to others opinions
Ay Obaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ay-obaj.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ay Obaj »

People want to be able to dictate things in their life that's why many opt for the option of working for themselves instead of having a boss. Working under someone is constraining In several aspects, so I do agree that a person can't be free till he/she becomes a master of himself/herself.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I believe the concept you bring up is a very interesting topic, especially given the fact that so many people are out now craving independence and to be their own boss. However, to answer your question, yes I believe a man can be free. Many people in the world do not care too much to create their own concept and just would like to strive and live a simple life at a normal office job. That doesn't mean that they cannot be happy and live sustainably though.

Return to “Discuss "The Maestro Monologue" by Rob White”