Success vs Humanity

Use this forum to discuss the May 2022 Book of the month, "The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny" by Rob White.
Zwelihle_Myeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zwelihle-myeni.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Re: Success vs Humanity

Post by Zwelihle_Myeni »

Alice Fu wrote: 20 May 2022, 20:34 the idea of success differs between different individuals. for some, it means to develop a stronger sense of humanity. For others, it means to become colder and more calculated in society to rise to the top in social status. I don't think there is really a distinction that can be defined through the two because the idea for each person differs heavily.
Exactly! How I define success is not how you would define success, same thing with compromising your values in attempts to being successful. What society might see as me compromising my values might not entirely be the case as we're all leading different lives and believe in different things.
Jordan Abio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordan-abio.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Jordan Abio »

To begin, being a maestro entails discovering and being your truest self. The Maestro Monologue, in my opinion, will make us more human while simultaneously challenging our essential values. As it points out all the alternatives, it is reliant on our choices and thoughts. As a result, the reader has the final say.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Success has different meanings and depends on an individual's view point. To some, it simply means achieving a high and respectable social status, while to others, it means being your best at every aspect of your life. Being humane, on the other hand, depends on your mindset and core values. One could be seen as inhumane whereas he simply became more aware of his values. Though they might differ from the majority view point, they would still feel successful because it's their best self from their perspective.
Paul Cousens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-cousens.html
Latest Review: Shine a Light by Nicky Corcoran

Post by Paul Cousens »

I did not get that impression. If anything, I saw it as reaffirming our authentic humanity and disentangling from the limitations of conformity.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

Success is a social construct that considers what is the pinnacle of achievement. Being humane, on the other hand, is an innate trait. It entails being concerned and showing compassion for others. The Maestro proves that being right and winning are two different things.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

Ruth Frances A wrote: 18 May 2022, 08:37 Hmmm, I thought about this as I read the book. I believe that is a choice one must make individually. The Maestro Monologue seems to point out a possible way to redirect one's life. What makes us humane or cruel depends on our thoughts and mindset. Some successful people are philanthropists while others are unbearable. When I held political office at one time, I was asked about corruption, and I said it is a choice. Because the book calls out to one's humanity and self-growth, it equality stresses responsibility and accountability. Therefore, yes and no, depending on your conscience and decisions. I have also been told that sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.
I agree with ur answer 100% it's one's choice to be successful yet keep his humanity or loose it being successful doesn't necessarily mean you have to be evil. It's just what people turned it to be since many has lost sight of the good because they were greedy for more money
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Almira789
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-almira789.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Almira789 »

Anyone can obtain success without compromising our moral values and ethical standards. Success is all about putting forward your best and not defeating anyone along your way. It’s about turning challenges into opportunities with positive mentality and determination to do so.
Favour Ojonugwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-ojonugwa.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Favour Ojonugwa »

The Maestro Monologue, in my opinion, will make us more human while simultaneously challenging our essential values. As it points out all the alternatives, it is reliant on our choices and thoughts. As a result, you, the reader, have an option.
Jane Ogwang
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

Our ideas of success are different and unique. Rob tries to reveal what's inside us that can propel us towards that success; loss of humanity would ultimately be an individual's preference.
Vine Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

Activating the maestro for a successful life does not take away from a person’s humanity. Success does not make a person bad or good. It’s the choices one makes that differentiates us. A poor, unsuccessful person can still do bad things.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Success changes people. People who are too keen to achieve success are ready to compromise their values and standards to reach their goals.
I disagree that all successful people are ready to compromise their values and standards to reach their goals. Success is not defined only by money, fame, or position. Real success comes with honesty and integrity in all areas of life. I think most people we call "successful" have worked hard for their gains and have strong, positive motivations.
EstherA
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthera.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by EstherA »

Success vs Humanity...is one thing that left me thinking real deep.....I believe that there are successful people out here that are humane and kind and there are successful people that are ruthless....it all comes back to choice....being successful depends on how smart you work.....plus success is a relative word that has different meanings to different people. But being humane is totally a choice.
hana_me
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hana-me.html
Latest Review: OUCH! The Pain of Modern Civilization by Dr. Ajay Issar & Alka Issar

Post by hana_me »

Being successful is nice but being successful with your humanity stayed being there will always be great. Having no humanity is worse than being not successful.
Morgana Williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgana-williams.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by Morgana Williams »

Success looks different for everyone. I might find success in being able to afford materialistic things while you find success in being happy. Success is a personal state of being that we can only identify individually by see what is valuable to us and what really matters.
kajal31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajal31.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by kajal31 »

I have seen some people who, when becoming successful, cut off from old friends and even family. They want to hang out with those friends who can spend like them and who fall into the circle of success.
But I think there is not any perfect definition of success. Furthermore, nothing is permanent. In my opinion, if a person thinks that he or she is successful, then he might cut out his personal growth. I believe that it depends on person to person. One can be very humble after being successful if they know that this is not permanent and if they want to be successful, they have to do hard work continuously.

Return to “Discuss "The Maestro Monologue" by Rob White”