Success vs Humanity

Use this forum to discuss the May 2022 Book of the month, "The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny" by Rob White.
The Uklighter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-uklighter.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Success vs Humanity

Post by The Uklighter »

I think that being a maestro can cause one to go either way. At the end of the day, it all depends on what path that person want to go.
Success does not cause one to lose their humanity. The lack of knowledge on how to handle success does
Avina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avina.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Avina »

Well, I'm impressed by this question. I was also moved to question the selfish inclination of the message contained in The Maestro Monologue because it seemed the book is totally devoted to enabling the audience prioritize their own needs and problems by manipulating their personal worlds.

However, I think the reason why the book is presented in this manner is because there are more than enough texts out there that encourage people to be selfless. Therefore this book will provide a balance to the already established core principles of human behaviour.
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

Many people have different measures of success. The same can be said for the term humanity. Everyone has different definitions. But I believe that having humanity is a definition of success.
Limpho Mojakisane
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

I don't think the Maestro would change one's humanity. I believe it would only help people to become more humane.
Lawrence+2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawrence-2.html
Latest Review: The Ranting of an Uneducated Reactionary by Oscar J. Phillips

Post by Lawrence+2 »

The problem i see with most people is, rating success with financial value. Success can actually means whole lot of thing to different individuals and I don't feel like understanding success from this perceptive could make anyone less human.
Jenifer Payton
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Heart Bones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenifer-payton.html
Latest Review: Amulet's Rapture by Linnea Tanner

Post by Jenifer Payton »

I believe that it depends on the human and what their goals are. If their goals are rooted in things that go against their own morals and beliefs, then reaching those goals would have that result in their 'humanity.' But if someone's goals are in line with their goals then if they were to achieve them then they wouldn't have to compromise their beliefs or morals because their goals don't require them to. I think it all just depends on what they want to get out of being in tune with their maestros and what they are willing to do to get to that point.
Carly Sprout
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-rose.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Carly Sprout »

I understand the maestro mindset to emphasise accountability above all. It is the understanding that you have a choice to improve not only the quality of life for yourself but for the broader community and even humanity as a whole with deliberate, positive interpretation and authentic living. This 'authenticity' of course hinges on the author's definition of what constitutes a person, as discussed in the opening chapters. Nevertheless, the maestro is always geared toward improvement even when we make mistakes. For that reason, I say it enhances our humanity.
nidhi_27
Favorite Book: A Thousand Boy Kisses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nidhi-27.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by nidhi_27 »

I think the activating the maestro is actually going towards the better us. The maestro will not only lead us to success but also purify our mind and soul. So, I don't think activating the maestro will lead anyone towards inhumanity or cruelty.
Edet Joy
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edet-joy.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Edet Joy »

Success can mean different things to different people. For some, it entails growing in their compassion. Others interpret it as social advancement through becoming more calculating and cold in society. Because the concept is so different for each person, I don't think there is really a distinction that can be made between the two.
Paul Cousens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-cousens.html
Latest Review: Shine a Light by Nicky Corcoran

Post by Paul Cousens »

When I read this post, I wasn't sure how to respond based on the context of Rob's book.

After reading through the comments, it occurred to me that when I was reading the initial post I might have had difficulty disentangling the word success from getting by or moving through the ranks in society and as being centered around the self. I would say that being humane, for a majority of people, has connotations of genuineness and perhaps community.

Maybe success can indirectly or directly lead to humanity. Humanity can be an explicitly stated subgoal of overall success. Or success can incidentally lead to humanity. Or humanity can be the main purpose that has various milestones that can be defined as success in some way. The same seems true for humanity with respect to success.

It seems like the maestro mindset is highly personal. However, starting from this personal perspective might be beneficial, since recognizing that everything around you is merely your projection and a perception that you have can be humbling.
Peace Chux
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-chux.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Peace Chux »

Being a Maestro rarely makes one more human. It does the opposite, because then we realize that we are more/higher than the average human, giving us a feeling of power. Power corrupts. It takes a strong will and strong, sustained inclination towards the positive calibration of the moral compass to remain "good". In other words, humanity becomes a choice when one is a a maestro.
Ramon Scott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ramon Scott »

In my opinion, to be a successful person at anything you have to change. I do not think you should change your humanity but you have to change the artificial norms that we as society have grown to accept. You have to be comfortable with being uncomfortable. So you definitely will have to stop doing some things you were accustomed to doing but you won't have to be a robot to be successful.
Rose Mashinini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-mashinini.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Rose Mashinini »

The Maestro Monologue seemed to provoke a lot of thought; to begin with, reading about Rob's approach toward success was very admirable. Some people, however, are easily fooled by success and overlook the value of maintaining humility despite any wealth they may amass. At the end of the day, being kind to those who are below you does not cost anything, and doing so will not have any negative effects on one's success.
itsme_shahi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itsme-shahi.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by itsme_shahi »

Life is all about perspectives as well as acceptance. Therefore, the idea of being humble after success or becoming negatively competitive in life upon achieving things depends to a large extent upon the experiences that the successful person has gained in life. Our experiences shape our belief system and one cannot judge another person without living the life led by that person.
Uchechukwu Fortune Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchechukwu-fortune-njoku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Uchechukwu Fortune Njoku »

In my point of view, being truly successful is determined by how much you influence humanity positively. However this isn't for some people who believe that once they have reached a certain level in life, humanity is not important.

Return to “Discuss "The Maestro Monologue" by Rob White”