"All children intuitively know they are overflowing with talent and oozing with potential..."

Use this forum to discuss the May 2022 Book of the month, "The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny" by Rob White.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Re: "All children intuitively know they are overflowing with talent and oozing with potential..."

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

I believe childhood in itself comes with more imagination and open-mindedness which progressively diminishes as we age. I was way more loquacious and expressive as a child than I am now. Society imposes its rules and conformity on us as we grow. Therefore I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

Children are overflowing with everything. From talent and potential to positivity. I feel like children tend to mimic their parents and their environment plays a large part in the development and growth that the child has.
Glorious Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glorious-jack.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Glorious Jack »

I think every child has the belief that they can accomplish anything they put their minds to.
Alicia_Soledad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia-soledad.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Alicia_Soledad »

Scott wrote: 26 May 2022, 12:49 While reading the book, I highlighted this quote that I really like from page 4:
Rob White wrote:All children intuitively know they are overflowing with talent and oozing with potential, and they fully intend to express it. However, things happened, and they forget all about it.
Do you agree with this quote? Is it something you also find relatable?

Did you find that reading The Maestro Monologue helped you rediscover your inner child?
Whenever I think about when I was a child, it makes me relate more and more to this quote. This quote is very insightful and very much true too.
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

I find this relatable and true. When growing up, we all have dreams and aspirations, but as we start to face the challenges of life, we just forget all this.
Prosper2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prosper2000.html

Post by Prosper2000 »

I really don't agree with this quote and I don't think children are really aware of their capabilities and gifts which is why they need direction and supervision from guardians. However, they are actively aware of the things that catch their interest and the things that don't.
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Yes, I do agree with the quote.
As a child you are all powerful and endless possibilities are open in front of you. Talent is bubbling up and a little drawing is as alive as you think it to be. When you grow up and look back it appears just a little scribble on paper. And you feel different from when you were little.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jenifer Payton
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Heart Bones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenifer-payton.html
Latest Review: Amulet's Rapture by Linnea Tanner

Post by Jenifer Payton »

I agree with this quote. Many children are told to only focus on one thing once they get in school. They are told we can only have one job and that that job needs to make money, which causes the children to stop doing what they like for the pleasure it gives them and instead focus on only one thing. I think that children are incredible maestros because they don't let anything stop their curiosity and wonder at the simple things. They simply find and do things that make them happy.
Blessing O 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-o-2.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Blessing O 2 »

Yes, this is true. All children oozed with potentials and they know it. I'm trying to get back to doing what I love to do as a child which I abandoned till now. Thanks for this eye-opener, Rob White.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

I can't agree with it enough. Kids are just these innocent beings who have something to offer to this world, but as they grow older, the world silence them, and all of this potential gets lost. I love this quote so much.
Yaninaninana
Currently Reading: A touch of Malice
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yaninaninana.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Yaninaninana »

I agree with it. Children are very sensitive to their surrounding and very expressive towards it. Once the adults continue to ignore their efforts and outputs, they will think it is not important, therefore, they will not continue on improving it and treat as nothing. They have this never ending energy and ideas, because they still do not know the limitations and boundaries the world has to offer.
TusharJoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tusharjoshi.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by TusharJoshi »

Its more the fact that the younger you are, the higher your risk taking appetite. Children know they have their families to fall back on, if things go south. Independence comes at the cost of giving up that feeling in one way or the other. That's the reason children seem to try out their hands at everything and find out their potential in one (or many) of them!
bishop_444
Favorite Book: Yesterday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bishop-444.html
Latest Review: The Reject Bench by James H Morgan

Post by bishop_444 »

As a child we believe anything is possible. We believe fully in our potential. As we get older, those goals, those potentials, they start to become meaningless. Our confidence starts getting shaken. Other children, teachers, even some parents, will try to dim your light so you don't surpass. They say it in a way you believe they are doing it with your best benefit in mind. "I just don't want you to be disappointed." "I don't want you getting your hopes up." "To get to that, you will have to work hard, and it still may not pan out for you." We have all heard this at some point or other. This is the reality. It was hard for them. They gave up. They don't want you to go out and achieve the exact things they never could. But what is reality, we can have and do anything we put our minds to. Our potential is limitless. So, yes, I agree with the quote. Yes, I find it relatable. And no, it didn't help me find my inner child, because I had already searched for it since I realized it was gone. I found it a long time ago. It did, however, reaffirm my inner child.
Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olomofe.html

Post by Olomofe »

Wow, I totally agree with the statement. And thanks for raising this topic. I could remember when I was a little boy, I had a lot of skills and talents but now one by one they seems fading away. E.g, crafting things and inventing things just by imagination. I can imagine something now, before I know I started building it and until I succeeded I won't give up. Let me say innovative skills. I also drum, sing, draw. My 'I can' were plenty then. But now, they have all metamorphosed into 'I can not.'

I would appreciate if Rob can help me throw more light on how I can regain my younger me.
Achiever Tandoh
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-achiever-tandoh.html
Latest Review: Burly by Paul Drewitt

Post by Achiever Tandoh »

Absolutely, as a kid I was less rigid as I am now. I've become more rigid and less flexible. I don’t feel that overflowing confidence and enthusiasm in trying new things. I now sometimes doubt my potential and overthink.
Latest Review: Burly by Paul Drewitt

Return to “Discuss "The Maestro Monologue" by Rob White”