Are really ebooks more environmentally friendly than paper books?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Analu0309
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Are really ebooks more environmentally friendly than paper books?

Post by Analu0309 »

A lot of people think that it's obvious that paper books are worse for the environment bur we should have in mind that this is actually not true, ebooks and technology in general also affects our environment and not in a good way. I think we should think about other important aspects for example buying used books instead of new ones and also we should consider that paper is a much recyclable product than plastic and all the objects technology now days is made of. So instead of judging people who read paper books instead of ebooks, we should find alternative ways to help our environment and improve as a society.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

I think both have are equal when it comes to environmental friendliness. Books use paper so that is not environment friendly. But they don't use electricity or create electronic waste as ebook-readers does. So for me, both are equal.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I do not think they are more environmentally friendly, no. Batteries, and plastic, used to make the ereaders, are also bad for the environment. Just as electric cars are no better, but people will believe what they wish to believe.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

Both have their good and bad qualities. I personally prefer both. I do go and look for used books to read. If I read a paperback that I do t like I donate it to my public library where they put it into circulation or hold onto it for when they have mystery book box sales.
My ereader which is (I am really dating myself) is a Sony. I still use it though I can no longer download any new books on it. But it is great for travel and there are hundreds of books on it and is not as valuable as my iPad.
I also have a very old iPad (1st generation mini) that maybe in the next year or so I will trade in for a newer one.
I think it depends on the person. I use both and try to minimize my waste or negativity impact to the environment.
anazipper
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by anazipper »

I think it is not, no one can read continuously more the 3 hours any eBook. It of course effect your eyes specially. Paper book is more easy to read and interesting and it is now up to you which one you feel batter for.
F N Chamomile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-f-n-chamomile.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by F N Chamomile »

Nowadays, I read ebooks mostly due to efficiency. Paperback or hardcover, of course, still have a place in my heart, though. Environmentally speaking, I have to agree with the argument that both have their own positive and negative aspects. Personally, however, the positive of ebooks outweigh the negatives, so I'm still going to stick to them for the time being.
Selma Nieuwoudt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-selma-nieuwoudt.html
Latest Review: Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana by James Mace

Post by Selma Nieuwoudt »

It is a reboot of the paper vs plastic bag debate. Since both might have more or less the same amount of merits and drawbacks, at this stage I think personal preference carries equal weight as environmental concerns.
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

That's interesting. I've never thought about it but it's a good thought to discuss. I hope there's no hate for either side because I think we're all book lovers. I've mostly stopped buying paper books and will get them from the library. I also like the take a book/leave a book kiosks.
-Amy
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Susan Gibbs »

I also hadn't really analyzed the consequences of ebooks versus paper books. It's true that ebooks use technology and electricity or battery power, so that doesn't help the environment. As with everything, there are always pros and cons to everything. It's difficult to say which is better or less invasive on the environment.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

I don't think so... ebooks consume phone storage and paperback consume house space😅... but if you will safely keep paperbacks, it's gonna be environmentally friendly
estanlypido12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estanlypido12.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by estanlypido12 »

Although paper books mean a lot to me, I agree that ebooks are much more environmentally friendly than paper books. Imagine the number of trees that are necessary to be cut just to provide books. Ebooks are much easier to use and very convenient.
Widade Assaly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-widade-assaly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Widade Assaly »

Unfortunately I think both are bad for the environments. The parts of ebooks readers produce a lot of waste and also raise ethical concerns. However, I think that paper books can be more easily turned into an environmentally friendly version by using recycled paper for example.
Etini Willie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etini-willie.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Etini Willie »

e-books don't litter the environment, so they are generally more environmentally friendly than paper books. Just delete them if you don't want then again.
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

A very insightful and at the same time difficult question to answer, as there will probably be people on both sides. But to take the third party's point of view, I will say both, even if I know that, of course, paper versions are much more harmful to the environment.
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

Hmm, that’s an interesting question. I would tend to think ebooks are better for the environment and resource management although technology can certainly polute.
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”