Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Lugie2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lugie2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Re: Help opening ebook files (epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)

Post by Lugie2 »

1. File format is epub.

2. iPhone, iPad, MacBook

3. Never opened a file in this format on any device before.

4. Steps: navigate to page and click book link. Link illuminates to indicate successful activity, then nothing. It won’t download, it won’t open. It’s not showing in any of the different reading apps listed below (as other books have), it’s not in my downloads, is not in any of the random document files that stuff occasionally gets saved in. Nothing.

5. It goes wrong at step one, when the link does nothing. I followed up since one of the administrators let me know there was a glitch, but it’s been over a week of clicking the link and looking for a solution. I’m just not able to find one. It may be my Apple devices and no one else is having this problem, but I cannot get the link to work. This is my second post on this book.

6. No error message, nothing happens when I click the link. I’ve tried three separate devices.

7. Yes I read the tips, repeatedly. I’ve tried kindle, nook, iBook, calibre, also Amazon and scribe for good measure. The book will not download, I click the link and nothing happens, across 3 different devices.

I also asked about relinquishing this book for review, and was told to navigate to the ‘update’ page. I did so, and do not see a link or instructions for doing that, just how to submit an error report. This is my second error report. I don’t want to lose my reviewer account! Please help.. thanks!
Heyitskylaq
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Heyitskylaq »

1. In what file format is the ebook (e.g. epub, mobi, PDF, etc.)?
epub
2. What device are using to try to open it?
Chromebook
3. Have you ever successfully opened a file in that format on that device before?
Haven't tried
4. If your answer to question 3 is "yes", please describe the steps you usually take to successfully open a file in that format on your device. If your answer to question 3 is "no" then please describe what steps you did try to open the file.
I saved the document, tried to open the folder and was told I can't.
5. When following the usual process you use to open that kind of file on your device, or the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post, at what step does it uniquely go wrong with this file? In other words, on which step, of the steps you listed as your response to question #4, do you run into trouble with this file but not other files of the same file type?
Trying to open it.
6. Do you get an error message? If so, what is the exact wording of the error message?
"Please use another format"
7. Did you read and try the "Top Tips" listed at the beginning of this post? If not, please do that before replying. Please name which apps your tried from the suggested apps.
Aprilsrn
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters

Post by Aprilsrn »

I’m getting super frustrated! 1. ePub 2. iPhone 7 and 3. No
When I select download now it does nothing! It doesn’t even appear to acknowledge that I clicked the link. The book is no where on my phone! At this point I just want to be done! I thought this was going to be a fun thing to do in my spare time but instead it has just made me mad and been a waste of time!
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Thanks so much for providing the link of the download. That has been my headache for days
Linda Murgor
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Linda Murgor »

The book just refuses to download
Malindsey1
Currently Reading:

Post by Malindsey1 »

1.mobi
2. My phone- but not intentionally. I was hoping to send it to my Kindle or Nook.
3. No
4.I clicked "download", I went to my downloads, I clicked on "open file", and a message saying "file cannot be opened" appeared.
5. Opening it to view
6. See number 4
7. Yes
Kayladurant4

Post by Kayladurant4 »

1. I'm not sure, it won't show me now.
2. My Samsung galaxy s8 phone.
3. No
4. It didn't show a download so I thought it didn't download.
5. See above
6. No
7. Yes I have those downloaded already.

Alright, I tried downloading these books one night and the files never opened so I figured it was never posted to my account. I was hoping to wait and get my pc set up and use that instead. In the end I would like the books to be removed from my account since I cannot even open them. Thank you.
Sue Mulligan
Currently Reading: Troublemaker
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sue-mulligan.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Sue Mulligan »

HI,
I am trying to download Pancake Money by Finn Bell
I am having the same difficulty that I had the last time I downloaded an ebook to my IPad Pro.
This one is Mobi format (the last one was ePub).
I am trying to open this in an iPad Pro and it is downloading as a PHP file.
Unlike last time, Kindle does show up as an option to open the file, but sends the error message “Incompatible Document Type”.
It does open on my iMac Kindle app, but my libraries wont sinc, and I read all my ebooks on my iPad as its more book-reading-friendly.

Thanks for your help!
~Sue Mulligan
Moetion0809

Post by Moetion0809 »

1. epub

2. iPhone 8 Plus

3. I selected the incorrect format, so no. Not on my phone.

4. I tried to download following the steps on the website. I clicked download, and then it gave me an option to open with... I tried saving it to my files, my iCloud, my Dropbox, opening it in Kindle. And then found that the format has to Ben opened in Nook. I downloaded the Nook app, but it is not coming up as an option to open with nook. I need help with this step. This should correct my error.

5. It does not give me the option to go back and select a different file type. I answered which step in my response to question #4.

6. No. I get illegible tech jargon on the files instead of the actual book. And I am not getting nook as an option to open the file with, even after downloading it.

7. Yes I did. That is why I downloaded my nook app to my phone. The format will not open in kindle. I also tried opening with my files and Dropbox.
monicath88

Post by monicath88 »

Hi, I live in Nigeria. I'm trying to download the book 'heartaches' on my android phone 'Alcatel pop star' and I'm having trouble. I use WPS it reads in pdf format, I have documents there that I read. I also tried to download kindle from Amazon but it's not available in my country. I don't know what to do now. Please help.
CBD_60027

Post by CBD_60027 »

1) Trying to open my first choice in PDF format.
2) Using Word
3) Accessed and opened once and began reading, but cannot reaccess.
gabby6162
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby6162.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by gabby6162 »

Epub
Kindle fire
No
Loaded calibre for kindle fire but cannot figure how to use
Jnena

Post by Jnena »

My problem is none of the ones listed. I have the kindle unlimited and when I clicked on the link from this site to download the book it takes me to amazon but does not give me the option to download a free copy. I actually bought the book by accident. I have downloaded books to the kindle app with no problems before just not from your site.
RosieAnn
Currently Reading: Something Happened Today
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosieann.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by RosieAnn »

I clicked the epub button which I shouldn't have as I'm on a kindle, so I went back and clicked mobi but it won't switch from epub to mobi for me. How can I get it to?
RosieAnn
Currently Reading: Something Happened Today
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosieann.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by RosieAnn »

1. I clicked epub; should have clicked mobi.

2. Kindle fire

3. No

4 n/a
5 n/a

6. Cannot open file

7. Nook app and eReader prestigio will not download to the kindle fire

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”