Hard copy books V digital

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Ecaterina Raileanu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ecaterina-raileanu.html
Latest Review: The Fighting Ibex by Leo Peterson

Re: Hard copy books V digital

Post by Ecaterina Raileanu »

Lately, I have been reading mostly on my kindle. It’s more practical and being small, I can have it in my pocket, keep it under my pillow, and read it when trying to put the baby to sleep... Also I can find better books at decent prices if we are talking about English books.
But nothing can replace the smell of a newly printed book... I have some books I loved to read, I can remember the plot and my feelings about characters only by enjoying the smell of the book.
Mandy Pfister Lee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandy-pfister-lee.html
Latest Review: Becoming Athena by Katherine Lore

Post by Mandy Pfister Lee »

I've been contemplating purchasing a Kindle simply because of the number of books I've been reading. I'm currently a member of an in-person book club that meets monthly and I've also been reviewing books on this online book club website, as well as reading one or two for pleasure throughout the month. I love the feel of pages between my fingers, but I have to say that when I purchase books on Kindle it's often cheaper and saves space in my house!

I'll always be a fan of real books compared to digital ones, but I certainly see the appeal of having digital copies.
Selmuq Voruma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-selmuq-voruma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Selmuq Voruma »

I will always pick a hardcover book over thr digital version. There is this feeling that comes with sipping a drink and flipping through the pages of a book.
Selmuq Voruma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-selmuq-voruma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Selmuq Voruma »

I will always pick a hardcover book over the digital version. There is this feeling that comes with sipping a drink and flipping through the pages of a book.
Elizabeth McNutt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N)
Currently Reading: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-mcnutt.html
Latest Review: Fantasy Realms Coloring Book by Carolina Mattos Alvarado and Steven A Ridder
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Elizabeth McNutt »

I never thought I'd enjoy reading a Kindle format, but I was wrong. I love the feel and smell of books and will always have some around to enjoy, but the ease of operation to change fonts, to read in bed, to be able to read in an electrical outage, are just a few of the advantages I now have. Love the technology but will always have my paperbacks and hardbacks.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

Personally, I would always choose a physical copy of a book, but it just isn't practical anymore. I travel so much that lugging 10 books around with me is crazy; I used to do this! Now I have 50+ books on my Kindle at all times and instant access to more. I do miss the feel and smell of pages, but my Kindle does make my life so much easier. For reviewing, it is also so much easier to get an instant download rather than have to wait for a book to be posted out. 
Diotar27
Currently Reading: Parable of the Sower
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Diotar27 »

I am an avid reader. It is now the rare hard copy I have. I love to save similes and metaphors. With my iPad, not only are they saved, I get easy access. Those I have highlighted in my library will stay highlighted and probably never be seen again. I also like to enhance illustrations. Being able to zoom in on Leonardo's Mona Lisa made reading the descriptors all the more powerful. Next - looking at maps with my 73 year-old eyes - digital reading wins every time.
Diotar27

Post by Diotar27 »

Selmuq Voruma wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 13:01 I will always pick a hardcover book over the digital version. There is this feeling that comes with sipping a drink and flipping through the pages of a book.
Diotar27

Post by Diotar27 »

I can read digital with one hand, enjoy my single malt scotch - not lose my place - as well as carry a hundred books with me when I travel. I can also zoom in on maps and art. And more. It is NOT tech taking over the book -
Monishka Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monishka-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Monishka Sharma »

For now i prefer digital books but once i have more space and more money i think i will buy hardcover with customized design covers and book sleeves.
David Tutor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-tutor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by David Tutor »

Vivid_rainbow wrote: 20 Mar 2012, 08:10 Hi, i'm new to the forum. Just thought i'd make my first post about hard copy(i.e. real books) Versus the electronic types, notable those offered in either PDF or Kindle format. I honestly prefer the real thing, the look and touch of holding any book in your hand outweighs its electronic emotioneless counterpart. However over the last year or so I have started seeing the benefits of having a book in Kindle. For example i've just recently become dual Cisco certified and currently working towards my CCNP. The study books were about 800 pages long and big heavy hard back types. Having this on Kindle has really helped me save space and also I've found it actually easier to read. Probably because having such a lare book can be very cumbersome. Another benefit is it is kinder to resources in the sense that no paper is being used. No paper means less manufacturing costs which should result in a cheaper end product.
However I still believe that if you're reading a novel then the best format is in its original hard copy print or alternatively as an audio book. Study books in my opinion are better served in electronic format.

ANyone have any opinions on this topic, I look forward to hearing them

Stef
I agree with you. I too prefer the hardcopy version
Ika Apro
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: The Warrior's Meditation by Richard L Haight

Post by Ika Apro »

Kindle is deffinitely very comfortable. Physical books have their purpose, but kindle has its own.
Newton Mbazima
Currently Reading: America: Lost in Place
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Newton Mbazima »

True i agree nothing surpasses a hard copy book. But from an environmental view point it makes it easier to purchase and download books and read them in the digital copy format. And as already mentioned you can carry as many books as possible, dependant on the storage of the device.
Stephanie Reida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-reida.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Stephanie Reida »

This is a hard question. I love the feel of a paper book and will never cease to get excited to go into a brick-and-mortar bookstore, but I have come to appreciate the convenience of an e-reader. I do not have a separate tablet; I just use my regular phone and the Kindle app. I always have my phone with me and any spare time allows me to have the opportunity to read a book no matter where I am. It can appear awkward to pull out a paper book in the middle of a line. I can also carry as many books as I want. This does not stop me from having many hard copies of books at home.
Catherine Escobar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Catherine Escobar »

Few years ago I used to say that I always prefer hardcopy books, I like the feeling when I touch them, smell them, everything, but when I found ebooks, a found that it was a good option, it's true that we loose the possibility to feel the book, but I've found truly jewelry that I've never found with a hard copy, and I can't access to books that maybe caught my attention but when I start to read them it's not what I thought, so I don't have to loose a lot of money, because it's a ebook.
If a have the opportunity to have the physical books great, but the ebook it's nota big deal now.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”