Hard copy books V digital

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
SuzyMarie5
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Hard copy books V digital

Post by SuzyMarie5 »

From what some of you are saying about the environmental issue, I have to agree, tho hadn't thought before.. should have... as far as reading e-books v. paper, I can read much faster on Kindle. Maybe because you don't have to turn pages & get resituated, etc.. Wondering if Kindle backlight is bad for your eyes? Someone told me their eye doctor recommended not reading on a backlit device. What do you all think?
readinginreview4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinginreview4.html

Post by readinginreview4 »

I'd much rather buy hard copy, I don't have an ereader but I'll probably end up getting one sooner or later!
amansmith
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Favorite Book: Alpha and Omega and Highland Moonlight
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amansmith.html
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by amansmith »

I love and miss my hardcover books, but it is just easier for me to download a book to my iPhone and it allows me to read anywhere. Also, when I am going on trips it is easier to fit an iPad into my bag than 4 or 5 hardcover books.
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
wildkitten82
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildkitten82.html
Latest Review: Canaries Among Us by Kayla Taylor

Post by wildkitten82 »

I read too much for hard copies to be an option. I also love the convenience of my digital library, I have a variety where ever I go. When I gain a favorite book I add it to my hard copy library.
Cool Books
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cool-books.html
Latest Review: "Life And Beyond" by Aruen Sood

Post by Cool Books »

I also believe that study books would be better in digital format. But having a book to curl up with will never be replaced because books are fun to read in normal book format. study books don't really need to be in book format because i read books for fun and study books aren't really fun so they can be in any format.
Latest Review: "Life And Beyond" by Aruen Sood
Betelhem Demsie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betelhem-demsie.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Betelhem Demsie »

Yeah. I go like you. Informational texts can be read digitally without boredom. But I prefer reading fictions with emotional and real books.
Christiana Legbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christiana-legbara.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Christiana Legbara »

I totally agree with you. I prefer holding the physical book. The feeling it gives is giving
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

They both have pros and cons. I love the way a book smells when you open it but it can be difficult to carry around when you're on the go. I love having my favorite book on my phone and being able to read it anywhere.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Hot Potato by Marty Katz

Post by Mayang Bature »

In my opinion, ebooks are superior. They are not destroyed, I can take them everywhere, write notes without getting the entire text dirty, and even share with others without them waiting for me to complete. Hard copies offer a more tangible feel than ebooks, but that isn't a compelling enough argument in my opinion.
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

I think E-books are here to stay. I want to try them out, but they are still a bit pricey.
Anna Gabriela Contreras
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-gabriela-contreras.html
Latest Review: Earthships, book 2 by Bonnie Jane Hall

Post by Anna Gabriela Contreras »

I love physical books, they have something that digital copies don't. I can read both formats but I just don't understand why some people claim that e-readers are the only option.
Rose Tamuno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-tamuno.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rose Tamuno »

I prefer electronic books because of how portal it is. I like knowing that I can carry a whole library of books in my pocket, but that would be virtually impossible to do with hard copy books. So, electronic books win this for me.
bluecollarreader
Currently Reading: Wool Omnibus Edition
Reading Device: B09Z9SQCFJ

Post by bluecollarreader »

The hour of lunchtime I get at work is when I get to read the most on an average weekday, so being able to keep my compact and portable Amazon Fire 7 in my work bag without taking up much space or adding a ton of weight is really important. I have about 250 books on my Fire tablet, many of which are long (about 60 of those books fit in the 800-2000 page range). Having the digital version of a book is really the only feasible way I can manage to read as much as I do. If I had to cart around even just a 500 page book, I probably wouldn’t be taking it to work. My work bag is already heavy enough with tools, spare chainsaw chains and files, chainsaw chaps, my lunch, water, and an extensive medical kit. I’m definitely not going to add a thick book on top of all that.

I understand the “soul” of physical books, and own many, but given my work schedule the difference between digital and physical is the difference between being able to read daily vs being limited to reading on Sundays when I don’t have to work. For that reason, I definitely appreciate having digital books.
Mandy Divz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandy-divz.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Mandy Divz »

Of course, I like hardcopies more, but both have their advantages. To save on luggage, I typically choose ebooks over hardcopies when I travel.
TheBlueRaven
Favorite Book: The Steppenwolf
Currently Reading: Contact
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theblueraven.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by TheBlueRaven »

The eternal battle!...
Personally I prefer physical books to e-books (I consume both, and also audio books).
There is nothing like a reaI book!! I just love the feeling of a book in my hands, the weight, the texture of the cover, it's all just so nostalgic for me. And the smell, y it's just comforting. Plus, I find it easier to focus and really get into a story when I'm holding a book rather than staring at a screen. My vision get less tired and it seems like I remember more what I'm reading :/...
It's just a more intimate and personal experience for me. Plus! you can connect with people around if they see you reading a book they like, great opening conversation topic and to find friend readers around.
Last edited by TheBlueRaven on 12 Jan 2023, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”