can anyone explain locations instead of pages on my Kindle?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Jlprince26
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlprince26.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

can anyone explain locations instead of pages on my Kindle?

Post by Jlprince26 »

So I am reading a book that instead of pages at the bottom, has location.. I would probably understand a bit more if it wasn't so drastic in location changes.. One page is 993, I flipped the page and I'm on location 1002. I thought maybe paragraphs, but I am completely unsure and would just love it if someone could explain it please!
- "Our children learn from us, teach them well, teach them to read, let them be free, and most importantly let them be children." Jamie Prince
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Don't fret about the jumps in the location numbers. If you are worried about what location to include in the list of errors for a review, you need only to indicate the location number (e.g., location 569 of 3678) for each reported error.

I hope I did not confuse you. Good luck!
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

Yeah, it shouldn't affect anything but I just looked it up on google and it would seem the "location" numbers refer to a specific line count. So it probably goes off of the first time of each page. Some Kindle books can be read on "continuous scrolling" mode and I could see where locations would be useful for that.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Jlprince26
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlprince26.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jlprince26 »

Thank you for your responses. I suppose line count makes perfect sense. My worries were about what to include in my list of errors. No, you did not confuse me. You have been a great help! Thank you!!
- "Our children learn from us, teach them well, teach them to read, let them be free, and most importantly let them be children." Jamie Prince
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Miriam Molina wrote: 18 May 2019, 19:36 Don't fret about the jumps in the location numbers. If you are worried about what location to include in the list of errors for a review, you need only to indicate the location number (e.g., location 569 of 3678) for each reported error.

Thank you, that's useful to know. The book I'm currently reviewing is the first one I've read on Kindle and I was wondering what to about listing the errors. That helps!
evraealtana
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

Miriam Molina wrote: 18 May 2019, 19:36 Don't fret about the jumps in the location numbers. If you are worried about what location to include in the list of errors for a review, you need only to indicate the location number (e.g., location 569 of 3678) for each reported error.

This is so incredibly helpful. I wasn't sure that "locations" were the same on my copy of a book and yours, for instance, so I haven't been using them to cite things. I've been relying on chapter and paragraph numbers, which has been tedious. This helps a ton. Thank you!
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

According to my research, "Location" on a Kindle is a way to keep track of your reading progress in a book in the absence of page numbers. The location changes around every 125 characters, which is why each page can be such a big jump. This helps keep up with where you are based on your font size and spacing when there aren't page numbers to use instead.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

I was confused about that too. Does anyone know if there is a way to choose between locations and page numbers in settings?
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

I was right now struggling with marking some typos and while down it was written 90 of 2041, the automatic quotations said 94 of 2041... So yeah...
suzy4424
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzy4424.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by suzy4424 »

I'm new to OnlineBookClub and to reading e-books. How do I specify a location of profanity in ".epub" books, since there are no page numbers, only percentages?
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

suzy4424 wrote: 20 Aug 2019, 04:52 I'm new to OnlineBookClub and to reading e-books. How do I specify a location of profanity in ".epub" books, since there are no page numbers, only percentages?
You specify the percentages.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

I'm so glad this was discussed here! I was wondering how the locations were determined.
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

This was helpful. Thank you!
ronmathewalx
Currently Reading: Exiles' Escape
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronmathewalx.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by ronmathewalx »

Thank you!!! I was fretting a lot because of the locations instead of pages.
books_andpoetri
Currently Reading: The Most Fun We Ever Had
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetri.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by books_andpoetri »

Sinclairess wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 13:17 I was confused about that too. Does anyone know if there is a way to choose between locations and page numbers in settings?
I don't think there's a way to change locations to pages, and vice versa. Some books track by location, and some by pages. If this is bothering you, you can toggle off by clicking on the lower part of your device while on Kindle, at least that's how it works for me.

When you a find a typo or any other thing you want to note, you can highlight it and then when you've finished reading, go to the highlights tab and it lists all your highlights with the location/page where it can be found.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”