I dont like ebooks.

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Zion Mesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zion-mesa.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Re: I dont like ebooks.

Post by Zion Mesa »

I prefer normal books but I'm still glad ebooks exist because I moved to a country that most people don't ship to and doesn't have any libraries that I know of.

If ebooks didn't exist I wouldn't be able to read much anymore. 😅
Angie Hawkreader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Angie Hawkreader »

My son-in-law, a recent convert to e-books himself, has finally convinced me of the benefits of a kindle for all the seemingly obvious financial and practical reasons. I find myself obliged to invest in one as never-ending trips to the library or further investment in paperbacks are simply unsustainable choices nowadays, given my addiction to the written word. However, I doubt that I will ever be completely won over. You can't beat the feel of a traditional book in ones hands, the sight of rows of books on ones shelves (never mind their dusty state) to remind us of our reading prowess, or the excitement of the bookmark reaching those last few chapters. Nostalgia will always overrule common sense.
samjj89
Currently Reading: Sunset Beach
Bookshelf Size: 505
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samjj89.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by samjj89 »

I don't like ebooks because I like having an actual book in my own hands. With ebooks, you don't have the same feeling as you would be holding an actual book. Holding a physical book in you hands you can smell it. The wonderful book smell is something almost completely indescribable. When you have an old book in your hands, you smell the history within its pages. You cannot smell an ebook. It is not the same. Yes, ebooks are more compact, however, you just do not have the same feelings and smells from an electronic device.
aruntr2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aruntr2001.html
Latest Review: Theatre of Racial Conflict by Bunmi Popoola

Post by aruntr2001 »

I support your opinion. because e-books can never be compared with the physical books though it offers a wide range of comforts. But you should like it too much as it also lets you open up with more possibilities in exploring the wide range of the contents.
Fatima Saif
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading: Make Fitness A Priority
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-saif.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Fatima Saif »

I don't like ebooks when they cause eye irritation otherwise they are fine for me.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

THe perspective differs from person to person, but I would say the reality is that e books cannever completely replace the physical books but at the same time it has benefits that in no way physical copics can afford.
Betelhem Demsie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betelhem-demsie.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Betelhem Demsie »

But I like them. They're handy and cost saving. They don't replace the value I have for real books, but now they are what I'm reading every single day.
David Tutor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-tutor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by David Tutor »

cheeseburger wrote: 28 Apr 2012, 14:25 I don't like em either, and I think it's because if someone annoys we while I'm reading a real book, I can always give them a whack over the head with my book and go on reading without worrying about damage suffered to my book, but that's not really an option with e-books....
Lol. You are funny. But you are also making sense.
abhilashrao1987
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by abhilashrao1987 »

E-books have been a great companion, especially while I am travelling. But the other times I usually won't prefer the same.
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

Yes, there are various reasons why some people might not prefer e-books and instead opt for paperbacks, like me. I like to enjoy the physical sensation of holding a book, flipping through its pages, and feeling the texture of the paper. The experience of reading a physical book can be more satisfying than interacting with a digital screen. It can also be distracting sometimes and they can make it challenging to focus solely on reading. :techie-studyinggray:
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Shing Araya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Shing Araya »

They are fine. They have some advantages to them but yes, I totally prefer physical books too.
Sameeha Ismail
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

Paperbacks are great; I even think with nostalgia about the times when Paperbacks were the only form. But eBooks are easier to use and carry everywhere we go.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Ika Apro
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: The Warrior's Meditation by Richard L Haight

Post by Ika Apro »

I am more of a physical books lover too, but when I have to carry 7 300page books or one kindle, the choice is obvious.
Tommy Mayengbam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommy-mayengbam.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tommy Mayengbam »

I used to dislike ebooks until I started reviewing books at OBC.

Without a doubt, reading from a physical book and an ebook are two entirely different experiences. The feel, and the smell of the pages—these sensory elements are just unbeatable.

Earlier, I couldn't get myself to focus for even 5 minutes on an ebook.

In retrospect, I realized that I was against reading an ebook because of my prejudices. I was adamant that physical books were superior to ebooks. But now, after completing tens of ebooks, I've come to appreciate them as not a bad substitute.
Purity Kihiko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Purity Kihiko »

I also didn't quite understand how to navigate e-books but now I am used to the fact that I don't have to download a book to read it .Not bad though.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”