Who benefits from free eBooks?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
onemorechap
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onemorechap.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B014GCG150

Re: Who benefits from free eBooks?

Post by onemorechap »

I believe most of the times is either for exposure, or to gain reviews on Amazon or other sites like goodreads. The con is that the readers don't always post a review or rating :/
Doris Hudson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Doris Hudson »

Readers and Authors benefit.Readers are able upgrade to both writing and reading skills. Authors are able to upgrade their writing through various opnions expressed as reviews.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

There are some promising benefits to free ebooks. They may not be visible at present but they will show in future purchases of other works compiled by the author(s). Obtaining free print and or ebooks is no different than visiting the library; which is how I compose my book shopping lists be it at a store or book sale at my local library.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

I can how both sides benefit, as the author and the reader. The Author benefits if say they write a series, and want more people to check it out. They put the price of the first novel in the series free to gain exposure from readers. I have often times gone and bought the rest of the series based off of this strategy. But if the author of the series isn't seeing a jump in revenue or interest in the series, I don't think it would be worth it, for the author.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Free eBooks are no different than any other business loss leader. It gets attention and puts the author's name out there. A brief free stint can lead to a few more sales down the road. However, lots of free eBooks are nothing more than advertising pamphlets designed to send people to a website where they then purchase services. They aren't really books at all in the traditional sense.
Amina-Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Amina-Ibrahim »

It gets the authors exposure. It gets them reviews( It readers are willing) and if readers like their work, they have got a constant reader! Word-of-mouth can help a great deal too.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

Free Ebooks have two way benifits for both authors and readers. Author can get a good exposure and review from almost every use who reads the free book and at the same time readers would also get an opportunity to read.
Blessing O 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-o-2.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Blessing O 2 »

I'm an avid reader of free books and I benefit a lot from it. But I like some paid stories too. It all depends on the motive of the author either to make a book free or paid.
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

I think the author benefits more since after the free downloads, the book is pushed higher by the algorithm, hence favoring the author.
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

I think the hope some authors have with free e-books is exposure in the hope they will get reviews. Once they have some established reviews, they can more easily find buyers for their books.
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

Strangely enough in this digital era I still prefer physical books. But ebooks can be useful in various ways. For instance they are used for searching for content with Pugh reading to find it. It is a shame though the loss to some authors.
Lily Ahulu
Currently Reading: Jet Girl
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Lily Ahulu »

I know I have found some great authors just by reading free E-books.
so it's not a case of the author, not valuing their work, but sometimes they just want readers to sample their work. a way of assessing them, then if you find that you like what you have read of their free E-Book, you have no problem paying for their other books.
I certainly did.
Michael Villanueva
Currently Reading: Price Wars
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-villanueva.html
Latest Review: Bambara by Joseph Eidelberg
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michael Villanueva »

I think free ebooks can be a great way for new authors to get exposure or to kick off a series. I ended up getting caught up in a full book series because the first book was on a sale and was basically given away, but the rest of the series was full cost. The author definitely made out in the end and I ended up enjoying a series I otherwise would not have given a shot if it weren't for a cheap first book.
POETIC PACIFIC
Favorite Book: The Illuminati Conspiracy
Currently Reading: The Poetic Pacific
Bookshelf Size: 220

Post by POETIC PACIFIC »

I agree this is an exciting topic. Books traditionally have never been free, unless otherwise given as gifts or donations for a specific purpose or good cause. But currently, in this age of modern technology and online books, there is surely an explosion of free online books. As you said, I wonder what the effect is on the industry itself, including the publishers and the authors? I think is a good discussion to raise! Thank you, Sir.
a musical mind!
TusharJoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tusharjoshi.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by TusharJoshi »

Free eBooks can act as a reader magnet. So, definitely the author. The readers get to read quality books without any kind of payment. they benefit too. If done in the right manner, free eBooks can be a great way to enhance your reader base as an author.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”