Who benefits from free eBooks?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
leslieh
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leslieh.html

Re: Who benefits from free eBooks?

Post by leslieh »

I feel I benefit from free eBooks that I receive off my library website. I love the idea of many books being available when I am ready to read.
Sherb21
Currently Reading: Owned By A Hitman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherb21.html

Post by Sherb21 »

I benefit from a lot of free books and as others have mentioned I have read free books and enjoyed them so much I have gone in sear of other books from the authors.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I agree with what others have said. Free ebooks often lead me in search of more paid books by that author
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
TeriRich268
Currently Reading: Banishing Bullying Behavior: A Call to Action
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teririch268.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by TeriRich268 »

From a marketing standpoint, FREE is always a good way to drum up business. So here the author and perhaps even the publisher benefits.
As a reviewer, this comes in handy, esp. if they are new. New book reviewers are not swamped with pleas for an honest review until they have proved that their reviews are worth reading. It is also a great way to get eyes on a book that may not otherwise have had the chance to read and share a good book
Shermac21
Currently Reading: 30 Pieces of Silver
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shermac21.html

Post by Shermac21 »

I enjoy them for the most part. I have found new authors that I really enjoy but I have also had books that are just not put together well. This could be that the story itself was choppy or the exiting was not what a publishing house would let out. Overall the pluses outweigh the negatives. As long as readers leave honest reviews, we can all benefit.
Bunny_Redd
Favorite Book: Let's Talk About Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Bunny_Redd »

I think mainly the readers, but if I were to read a free book and really like it I would seriously consider buying other books by them.
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

Everyone does. For someone like me, who doesn't have a big budget for books, free ebooks are a salvation. In fact, one of my favorite books of all time, was a free ebook that I found on the Kindle Store. The author benefits from this as well, because if the reader enjoyed their one free book, they'll be more inclined to buy works from that author in the future.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

The author benefits because they get to get exposure and build their fan base. Yes, they're making a sacrifice because there's no pay but it still benefits them in a way. Readers are greatly benefited because they don't have to pay for anything. Traditional publishing companies are taking losses.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
cluznar

Post by cluznar »

Free e-books are good, but remember that most authors are trying to make a living. This is their work, it can take some time to write a book. As an author I will have Free e-books, but only for a short period, I do need to make a living. But I also want people to discover my work.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

The author benefits from the exposure, obviously, but it's potentially beneficial to the reader, too. Free books are an economical way to discover new authors!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

Who benefits from free EBooks? 1)The author, 2)The store offering the free books (Amazon, etc), and 3)the reader. It is a win-win situation for all of them. Normally the author divides the books into trilogies and Amazon offers the 1st book for free to those fortunate readers. That offer may be good for just a few days and the price goes up after a few days. Now you need to buy the next sequels at a price or you miss out on the ending. So both Amazon and the author benefit. Just like what Lincoln Cole did, now his Raven's Peak trilogy is in the bestseller list And he is making money.
JAtoms
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Socerer's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by JAtoms »

E book is the best thing that has been in existence. I wonder how the world would be without it
lilytepait
Currently Reading: A Haunted Murder (A Lin Coffin Mystery Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by lilytepait »

I think everyone benefits from it.

It's a mystery I think, like who manages youtube.
or its just me, confused. ^^
Jeyu

Post by Jeyu »

Probably both author and readers. The writer enjoys writing and may feel fufilled learning the book he authored is being read and recognized. The reader will also benefit from the book depending on its contents.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I appreciate free ebooks because buying a print book here is insanely expensive (think R300+- for a mediocre soft cover novel), so although I understand that authors may feel taken in because people prefer free stuff to paying for it, a free ebook is always a welcome introduction to their work. I don't mind paying for a cheaper ebook once I know it's something I'll enjoy.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”