Discovering the Notes Feature

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Discovering the Notes Feature

Post by Bhaskins »

I have been a kindle lover for some time now, but never thought to use the notes feature. For academic books I always preferred print, so I never had a reason to take notes. Now that I am part of OBC I use the notes feature to note down loc/page number of typos, profanity, etc. I wish I had thought of that sooner. Do you all use this? What else do you use notes for?
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

I usually use notes for highlighting important text, quotes I like from the book, or things I don’t like. I don’t typically annotate my physical books, but notes makes it so much easier to organize my thoughts.
~Roxie~
bespectacledpetal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bespectacledpetal.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by bespectacledpetal »

I started using it all the time since I started reviewing books
Shhhh I'm reading :techie-studyinggray:
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I've never had the need to use the notes feature since I was just reading for fun before joining Onlinebookclub. Now, I'm considering using it for all the reasons you stated. Thanks for sharing.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Yes and absolutely! I was just as gripped as you when I started to use the notes. I used to be a harcore print book lover and didn't like to read ebooks if I didn't have to. I don't have a Kindle, but I use the app across all my devices. And now that I use Kindle regularly because of OBC, I've got more perspective... I must say...

Note-taking is the one thing ebooks have over print books. They are superbly better!

Want to delete a note? Edit it? Change the color? Bookmark? ALL of these things you have control over, versus a print book... You can't erase a highlight in a textbook, unfortunately. So I definitely love the feature. My system of note-taking depends on color as far as highlights go. Bookmarks I use to signify that most of the entire page is important, not just parts of it.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I still use pencil and paper for notes because they don't require a charged battery. Alas, my Kindle does. If the Kindle is down I can still read the book on my computer, but the notes get lost.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Writing on a book always seemed to me like vandalism. I guess I have the same attitude to ebooks even if you're doing no damage and use a tool made for that. I also don't want to depend on Kindle's tools though I might change my mind.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I use the note feature for almost everything: marking grammatical errors, noting profanity, some facts that I would like to revisit, interesting phases and words. Also everything!
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I do the same because it makes it easier to keep tabs on typos and profanity; I also note events that I deem important to the storyline and characters' names.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
mplaunty
Currently Reading: Triplicity
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mplaunty.html
Latest Review: 2612 Cherryhill Lane by Glenn Vo

Post by mplaunty »

I just started using this feature as well when i started OBC. I use the notes feature for any and everything. Grammar errors, spelling, and even just passages and quotes I would like to remember. It is so much quicker and easier to use this feature. I am glad i'm no the only one!
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

I definitely use the Kindle's notes feature. My only problem is that I can't import the notes into a Word document. I think my preferred Kindle's too old and my newer, cheap one is obnoxious to use, so I haven't tried on that one yet. Exporting the notes would be so much better than having to copy it all (copying the errors; perhaps I should start only keeping track of the first ten).
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

Like you said, it’s extremely useful when reviewing books to take note of whatever is required.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

I've know about it but I can never seem to get into the habit of annotating unless it's for a class.
aruntr2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aruntr2001.html
Latest Review: Theatre of Racial Conflict by Bunmi Popoola

Post by aruntr2001 »

Notes feature is very useful and effective. I can save the notes and can use other platforms like Goodreads to extract them and summarise them.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

I very frequently use highlights and the notes fetures in kindle and. also, use some third party apps to get them synchronised tto my PC on different format for storing them.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”