Is it the same?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Is it the same?

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I used to feel that e-books didn't have the same "feel" as hard copy books, but I've really learned to appreciate my Kindle, and now the format doesn't bother me so much. I still have a slight preference for physical books, but I love the convenience and affordability that my Kindle offers.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I think there is more value in a traditional book. I do enjoying reading e-books for the convenience and easy portability. Still, nothing can replace the feeling of holding a book in your hands, the nice cover art, the smell, etc. I like the experience of being able to put a bookmark in and seeing where I am in relation to the rest of the book. I don't get that same feeling from an e-book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I enjoy both, but for traveling, the ebooks are certainly much easier to take along. But I also cannot imagine not having a bookshelf full of physical books in my home, so they both definitely have their place in my life. :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I love my kindle more than anything in the world, but reading a physical book and seeing your progress and feeling it in your hand is still such a nice feeling. As a (self) published author, I also have to have physical copies of all my books just because there is something about seeing them in paper that makes them that much more special.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

ALynnPowers wrote:I love my kindle more than anything in the world, but reading a physical book and seeing your progress and feeling it in your hand is still such a nice feeling. As a (self) published author, I also have to have physical copies of all my books just because there is something about seeing them in paper that makes them that much more special.
Do you have any of your books in ebook format?
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Zeal16
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeal16.html

Post by Zeal16 »

I've never tried an ebook just because I love holding a book in my hands same as you! That new book or library smell- that rustle as you hurry to turn the page to get to the next word- that infuriating crease you create after you've read a wonderful book again and again. *sigh
Hadiqa
Favorite Author: Infinite
Favorite Book: Hundreds
Currently Reading: How The Wolf Lost Her Heart by Sarah
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadiqa.html

Post by Hadiqa »

Yes you are correct but then ebooks are great too! I can get them from internet and read it and traditional books are kinda costly and some of them are not available in my region so I depend on ebooks :-) Besides, if I read traditional books, the house would be full of them! xD
“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

Reading Now:
Nothing -_- Because of School
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

Cerxi wrote:To me, the biggest difference is simply that books have an end. I don't mean that in the "phew, I'm finally finished reading this!" kind of way, but more in the way that when you're reading a physical novel, you can see how close you are to finishing it, you get excited for the climax and resolution, and when you're done, you close the book and put it away. With an ebook, you never really know (or at least I don't; the Kindle app for Android doesn't seem to have page numbers, just nebulous "locations"!), and even when you are done, there's a whole list of other books waiting for you to start on right away.
It just feels less organic to read on a smartphone, to the point where I have a hard time starting sometimes!

My kindle tells me exactly what percentage I have already read and it estimates the amount of time I have left in the chapter and the book based off of my reading speed. I can have these figures displayed at the bottom of the screen if I choose!
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
anishaxo

Post by anishaxo »

Actual books won't die, ereaders on the other will eventually
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

I agree i just adore a real book. But I can't be a fair judge since I don't own an ereader. What's everyone's preferred ereader and why? I'd like to have one for travel, i that would be more convenient.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel
Aivlys
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aivlys.html

Post by Aivlys »

The story is the same. The experience is a bit different but I'm a convert to digital reading because for me the downsides of physical books are higher and outweigh the downsides of e-books. I have extremely limited space, for instance, so storing physical books that I might want to re-read at some point is a problem. Also, I like instant gratification of being able to find a new book quickly after finishing the previous one and always having it with me, no matter where I finish a book or what I'm in the mood to read next.

Though, I have to admit, sometimes I wander into the library to find something in the morning and sit there all day reading it and enjoying the real book experience.
BookWorm95

Post by BookWorm95 »

Today's society is trying to go completely digital, but books can NEVER be replaced! There is an emotional attachment and a rich tradition in turning the pages of a book. They have been around for millenniums, it should stay that way.
AngelBellaDonna
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbelladonna.html

Post by AngelBellaDonna »

I agree with you. Theres nothing quite like holding a book in your hands. Its much easier to hop into the story when reading a traditional book.
Happily Candied
Favorite Author: Keith Donohue
Favorite Book: The Stolen Child
Currently Reading: Harry Potter
fav_author_id: 5212

Post by Happily Candied »

The magic of reading is lost for me with e-books. Good, old-fashioned paper will always be my go-to source for reading.
NerdShopGirl

Post by NerdShopGirl »

E-books are good for convenience and I do see a trend in more people preferring this commodity over an actual book but I think that's just what it is... a trend. There is something magical about a real, solid book. The pages have a feel and smell that can transport you deeper into the world of a book than a hunk of plastic and electronics can't.

In my personal opinion... the reading format goes: Physical Book, Audio Book, E-Book. Descending order.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”