Another Tablet vs E-reader Question

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
WadWang
Bookshelf Size: 0

Another Tablet vs E-reader Question

Post by WadWang »

I've read so many threads in different forums on the merits of tablets vs dedicated e-readers. I own a Kobo Aura. And although I like it...sort of, I find the 6" screen a little too small. Now I realize I can buy a 7-8" e-reader for about USD $250 ($350 w/ S&H landed in Korea where I live), but I can also buy a decent 10" tablet for that price. And herein lies my problem. Wouldn't that extra screen real estate on the 10" tablet make up for the disadvantages of reading on a tablet? Not sure if a 7-8" e-reader will add that much extra screen over my 6" e-reader. What say thee? Thx!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I found a larger screen useful in particular when you need to read a PDF ebook formatted with a small font. My solution is a bit extreme, meaning I have a hybrid, a netbook with a detachable screen you can use as a tablet, and it's an 11.6" screen. Also, look for information about the quality of the device you want to buy in terms of readability.
Ciao :)
Massimo
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

Even I have found there are many other readers running on android platforms. Those are the best choise.
Shieldmaiden88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shieldmaiden88.html
Latest Review: The Blue Rose by LaVonne Thompson

Post by Shieldmaiden88 »

Size isn't everything. Tablets can potentially be very hard on the eyes and very disruptive to sleep (blue light). Before making a final decision, investigate the tablets you are considering to find out if you can keep them in night mode, which reduces blue light. I keep my phone in night mode all the time and it makes it easier on the eyes regardless of the time of day. That said, I find a kindle paperwhite to be as easy on the eyes as paper, so for me personally, I would stick with the kindle because the amount of time I am using it could make a big difference in my eye health and sleep health in the long run.
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by britcott30 »

when using tablet, the battery will drained very fast,, but not when we use the e-book. we can charge it after a week, even more
natasha juhl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by natasha juhl »

Even if you can only upgrade by an inch or two, then it could be worth it because I have noticed that when I upgraded my iPhone screen it even felt bigger and it was only an inch different. It is definitely worth it to invest in a larger one especially if you do most of your reading on a tablet.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.” – Lemony Snicket
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

The problem with some 10 inch tablets is the fact that they can become very heavy. I bought one just for reading, and now it sits gathering dust because it just wasn't a good fit. My ipad, which is much slimmer, does the job better, but it is still bulky most days. So I mostly use a kindle.
estanlypido12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estanlypido12.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by estanlypido12 »

You should resort the larger and wider screen in my opinion. Reading an ebook with a big and handy device make your read much more convenient. After all, the discrepancy between the two is likely to be comparable.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”