Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Ambar Gill
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Finale
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ambar-gill.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 42%

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by Ambar Gill »

Listen, I agree, there really is no better feeling then cuddling up in your favourite blanket with a cup of peppermint tea and finally being able to pick up that book you haven't been able to stop thinking about all day. I know you can sense my but so here it is. BUT when I'm on the train and there are 50 people packed around me trying to get out of downtown and I'm holding onto anything that'll keep me upright, sometimes the ebook is all you can work with. Especially when I know I'll be standing for 30 minutes and I just want to escape into my imaginary world, I can't do that by pulling out my hardcover but I CAN slip out my kindle and continue the steamy romance I was reading, hoping the half hour will go by quickly and for that, I love my kindle. I have both feet firmly planted in both the paperback and ebook worlds.
Ambar Gill :angelic-flying:
Daniel Roa
Currently Reading: If... and other stories
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-roa.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Daniel Roa »

In my opinion, both options are suitable, but I personally only read the e-book if I can't read the physical book. And the reasons are as follows:

First, for me a book is basically a refuge. I can "escape" reality into a world that the book conveys directly to my mind. And that experience is perfect only if I can also forget about technology, which is part of the reality that I want to take a break from when I read.

Secondly, I enjoy the physical experience, that is, the texture, the smell of the paper, the weight...

And last but not least, the eye was not designed to be constantly exposed to a light source, and as good as an e-book reader is, it is basically a light source, and it is not natural.
Zoba Ejike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoba-ejike.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Zoba Ejike »

I agree with you Daniel. Nothing beats that feeling of holding a physical in your hands. I do believe E-books are necessary evils. A lot of times, E-books are the most accessible in terms of availability and cost and have over the years become more and more common and I don't even want to talk about how it messes with my eyes( though I can't stop - I love books too much) Yet, one cannot discount the thrill of holding a paperback and just reveling in the whole traditional vibe it brings to the reading.
Lily Walker 1
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 225
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-walker-1.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Lily Walker 1 »

I love paperback books with my whole heart, but the reality is that they’re not always practical. I don’t want to read them when I’m eating because I don’t want to get my pages dirty, I don’t have enough physical space to keep all of my paperback books, I can’t always bring a paperback book with me everywhere I go, etc. etc. So I use both, just because of convenience, even though I do have a preference.
Loretta Morris 1
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loretta-morris-1.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Loretta Morris 1 »

I love e-books, because you can store an unlimited amount of books on audible books or kindle books. Also it lists the number of books you have read and books that are unread. Before the ebook era, I loved paperback books.
Ramadevi Tatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramadevi-tatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ramadevi Tatavarthi »

I prefer Ebook because it is easy to carry, I easily highlight, take notes, copy, and do other stuff. I can read it easily whenever I am bored.
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: Shades of Rust and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

Considering picking up a Kindle in order to avert more eye strain - I primarily read on the Kindle on iPad app and i think the backlighting and blue light are really affecting me at this point. YEARS ago, when they originally came out, I had an OG Kindle … I needlepointed a cloth cover for it … this was back when it was my most expensive form of entertainment and I relished it … oh, those were the days!
David Medinas
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 19
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by David Medinas »

I love both! But recently I've found myself reading more Ebooks because they're cheaper.
Emmamackenzieee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmamackenzieee.html
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 28%

Post by Emmamackenzieee »

Overall, I love having a paper book if possible. However, for the convinces and the price, I have been leaning more towards ebooks lately. So far, I am on book 25 of the year, and the majority were free through Kindle Unlimited or PDFs. Also, I'm known for reading any chance that I can get. So, simply taking out my phone or iPad and reading has been easier than carrying a bag everywhere. I see a lot of pros for ebooks, but I'll take a paper book any chance I can.
Silvia Sianto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Silvia Sianto »

am among the ebook resistant. I love the feel of paper in my hand and the physicality of reading. BUT I am sometimes tempted by the portability of ereaders, and my bookshelves are already too full! Maybe I will be purchasing one someday.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”