Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Joann Kalina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by Joann Kalina »

Paperback books are my choice!
There's something about holding a book!
I love reading!
Keine Gheyinmi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Keine Gheyinmi »

I love paper books because they are comfortable to read but ebook are more easier to carry around. I also love the smell of paper books.
Temitope Ajao
Currently Reading: Shadow Song
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temitope-ajao.html
Latest Review: Odyssey of High Hopes by Cyrus A. Ansary

Post by Temitope Ajao »

I initially had my resistance to ebooks, it made me feel fraudulent as a bibliophile, but as I've grown as a person and as a reader I see the usefulness of ebooks. One obvious benefit is the ease of acquiring books, some physical copies of books are notoriously difficult to find; Everything and More by David Foster Wallace comes to mind. Another is cost effectiveness, getting books like Godel, Escher, Bach or Infinite Jest would definitely be costly. That being said, nothing really beats the pleasure that comes with reading and owning physical copies. In some instance they even become family heirlooms
Hughes Davidson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hughes-davidson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hughes Davidson »

I prefer the real thing for both aesthetic purposes and having the feeling if a book in my hands.
Alet Van Tonder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alet-van-tonder.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Alet Van Tonder »

While I love the feel of actual pages, the convenience and cost-effectiveness of e-books have won me over. No more going to a store or library, a new book is just a click away.
Betelhem Demsie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betelhem-demsie.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Betelhem Demsie »

Even in 2050, there are certain things I don't think should be replaced by digital versions. One of them is a paper book. I read a lot of e-books every day, and I don't hate them. Reading from an e-reader makes me recall less than reading from a real book, however. For me, paper books must remain in use despite their drawbacks. :techie-studyingbrown:
Riya Sarkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riya-sarkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Riya Sarkar »

I simply can't choose between the two, both are such good experiences!
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Post by Melissa Best »

I have to say, ebooks are very convenient, especially for people who are trying to read a large volume of books in odd places. Being a college student myself, I like being able to pull out my phone or laptop and access a book that I'm in the middle of without adding more weight to my bag. However, paperbacks do have a more satisfying feel to them. They don't require your eyes to be glued to a screen either. If paperbacks were cheaper, I might just fill my shelves with them :lol2:
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

I prefer ebooks to physical books. this is mainly because I can choose to read whatever book I want when I want it. and nowadays I am reading books to review as well so it helps in having 2-3 books at my fingertips.
Morgan Whipp
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-whipp.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Morgan Whipp »

I have always loved paper books. It it always such a good feeling having a physical copy of a book in your hands. ALTHOUGH, I have been reading way more lately, so having an Ebook right on my phone has been quite nice... Especially while at work!
Nkem Bankz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkem-bankz.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Nkem Bankz »

Well, I'm Stephanie and I'm based in Nigeria. :tiphat:
I prefer Ebooks to paper books because with Ebooks I would never sleep off or feel bored while reading but with Paper books it's different.
I could get bored, sleep off or loose interest in what I'm reading within a space of 30 minutes. I have my school texts on my phone too because of this challenge. :techie-studyingbrown:
Lokesh Dhiran
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lokesh Dhiran »

I cannot fathom whey do we have to compare the two mediums. I read books through both. I prefer my kindle when I am travelling as it is very convenient and multiple books can be carried without adding any cabin baggage. But I prefer a nice hard book in my hand when I at home. There is no substitute for the fresh printed paper smell.
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

I love both! I'm a huge fan of having the weight of a good book in my hands, and the smell of books is my favorite. There's something so comforting about it. On the other hand, I absolutely love having my eReader when I'm waiting somewhere.
Mary Maj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-maj.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Mary Maj »

I love e-books to paperbacks due to their convenience. The joy of reading my favorite books whenever and wherever I want to without anyone getting to know what I'm doing makes it more fun for me.
Mayang Bature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Hot Potato by Marty Katz

Post by Mayang Bature »

eBooks, in my opinion, are superior. They are not destroyed, and I can take them everywhere, write notes without making the entire book dirty, and even share with friends without making them wait for me to complete. I can leave a boom for weeks and come back to the exact sentence I stopped at. I love that ability. Nothing beats the smell of a good old paperback and that alone is enough reason for some. For me, I can comfortably enjoy both but with a slight inclination to ebooks because of the advantages I listed above

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”