Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Nasinash
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Bound by Duty
Bookshelf Size: 31
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by Nasinash »

I love the feel, smell and everything about books. Especially reading a gripping thriller alone!! But sometimes I feel it quiet hard to keep my books from others borrowing!! So the best solution was to switch to ebooks, which so far is the best decision I took!! Travel friendly and eye friendly with night mode on!! And more importantly I can binge read thru the whole night without switching on the lights which irritates everyone even more!
Borderline: total crazy on ebooks and books too!!!
ReadMeow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readmeow.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by ReadMeow »

I love the feeling and smell of a traditional book. I love the sound of the pages turning and the not-quite smooth feel of the pages. Holding a physical book is a deeply comforting experience and it makes it feel like that book is my very own special book and no one else's. But, e-books are cheaper and more convenient. So I typically get my favorite books in paperback and others as an e-book.
Chikom
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikom.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chikom »

I love paper books because their physicality in my hands makes me read without any difficulties. There is also little distraction that might avert your mind from the book. Ebooks are also irresistible to me, the fact that they open a new whole world of books that are difficult to access physically in the shelves. Although its not suitable to eyes due to glaring screens, i still enjoy reading ebooks.
PriyankasReview
Currently Reading: Where the Crawdads Sing
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by PriyankasReview »

"Ebooks " Its handy, easy to carry while travelling. Inbuilt dictionary helps you explore new words. No need to bother about weight and space while carrying.
JATC Smith
Currently Reading: The Most Important Lessons in Economics and Finance
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by JATC Smith »

I do prefer reading a paper back over an Ebook as I am a more hands-on individual :techie-reference: . It does alot more for me and my health. I get to physical hold the book and see the pages and be in my cozy reading nook rather than having to sit up around my loptop or scroll through my phone to read. While ebooks may be more cost effective and minimalistic, paper backs are healthier to have.
Mariesg
Currently Reading: Detention of Doom
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariesg.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Mariesg »

I like both e-books and paper books. I want to build my own personal library, but I want my best and favorite books to be in paper while collecting more and more books as ebooks. I feel like it helps give me more space as to how many books I can get. Since it's all in the cloud, I never have to worry about running out of room for them. Reading at night also makes it nice to have an ebook because if it gets dark and I'm not in a situation where I can turn on the light, then it's really easy to read just off of my phone.

Paper books are still my favorite though. There's nothing like being able to take handwritten notes and highlighting things, something I like to do more with my nonfiction books. Just having the book in your hand and reading the words in a way that doesn't hurt your eyes is also very nice. I can go on like this for hours. Not having to get notifications all the time. It's all really great.

I really just like both. Reading can be enjoyed at its maximum if you just make the best of both worlds.
mangonrye
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mangonrye »

As some of the other people here have stated i love both eBooks and paper books equally, but if i was forced to choose i would have to side with paper books. Nothing beats the feeling of having a brand new book in your hands, whether you brought it or whether it was gifted to you.

Nothing can also beat the pleasure i feel whenever i walk pass my book shelf and see all my favorites sitting there. But eBooks are less expensive and you wont have to constantly keep making room for them.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

I use them both and I love using both of them. the good think about e books is they are travel friendly whereas I prefer to read the physical paperbacks if I am reading it without moving form one place.
Solyanaaa22
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-solyanaaa22.html
Latest Review: The Miller's Tale by Geoffrey Chaucer (Brian Lamont translator)

Post by Solyanaaa22 »

I prefer paper book rather than Ebook because for starters, paper books are so authentic and have the feels of actually getting interested in the story. But since I LOVE to read books, if I can't find a hard copy of a book, I settle for an Ebook.
Emskie1115

Post by Emskie1115 »

I am a huge fan of reading actual books but I am also a great supporter for going GREEN so I either look for a second-hand copy or avail an ebook copy. In that case, I can enjoy the same content as well as saving the trees.
TaraCheshire
Currently Reading: Stone of Tears
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taracheshire.html
Latest Review: Wounded Angels by Chuck Miceli

Post by TaraCheshire »

waniyaahmed wrote: 23 Feb 2013, 11:10 I know there is this hype around ebooks and readers, but honestly speaking I just don't get it! curling up with a good book, especially after a long day is my favourite thing and you just don't get the same feel with the readers. And who doesn't love a full book shlef anyway? What are your thoughts ebook or the real thing?
I think the most acceptable answer is both, but honestly who doesn't love that new-book-smell.
I definitely prefer a real book, unless it's dark and I'm too lazy to get the reading light.
Kayla_Sanders
Currently Reading: Iron Widow
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-sanders.html
Latest Review: Signs in the Rearview Mirror by Kelly Smith

Post by Kayla_Sanders »

I love paper books, but E-books are more convenient and offer access to many novels we wouldn't normally have the chance to read. There's pros and cons to each side and I enjoy reading from both.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” – Charles W. Eliot
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

I love the smell of my books and the feel of it beneath my hands. Kindle cannot give me that.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin
redknitcapgirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redknitcapgirl.html
Latest Review: The ultimate love by Sherine Anniruth

Post by redknitcapgirl »

I would have switched to ebooks for convenience and space saving but, their prices are not much different from physical books. Just the other day while I was looking for a particular book in amazon, I saw that the book's kindle edition in $2 more than the paperback.
TaraCheshire
Currently Reading: Stone of Tears
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taracheshire.html
Latest Review: Wounded Angels by Chuck Miceli

Post by TaraCheshire »

This is a very valid point. Why does an Ebook (which costs nothing to send a file out) cost MORE than a physical copy, which had to be printed and shipped?

redknitcapgirl wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 21:21 I would have switched to ebooks for convenience and space saving but, their prices are not much different from physical books. Just the other day while I was looking for a particular book in amazon, I saw that the book's kindle edition in $2 more than the paperback.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”