Ebook or paper book?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Brittany Slade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-slade.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Re: Ebook or paper book?

Post by Brittany Slade »

I LOVE a physical book in my hands. I love to turn the pages, see how far I’ve gotten and how much farther I have to go. I’m literally the only reason my local library is still open lol. I do read a lot of ebooks but it’s mostly because of the convenience of it. If I have to pack light when I travel or I don’t have a physical book on me at work, ebooks save the day. Also I die a little inside when I get a food stain on a physical book 😅
ursaviourveve
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ursaviourveve »

Although it is undeniable how easily more accesible ebooks are, I would definitely opt for a physical book instead. However I do tend to read more ebooks as they are cheaper and easier to access, yet it comes with the annoying cost of painful eye strains that I get from looking at the screen for too long.
Brittany Slade
Currently Reading:

Post by Brittany Slade »

Bridgette C 2 wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 00:08 I prefer paper book - the actual book, I mean. I like to touch books and sniff it😅...

I don't prefer ebook much because I don't want my eyes to be strained. I also get headache if I'm too exposed to my phone reading ebook.

Lol!!! Why do you like to sniff it? I’m honestly not making fun of you. I want to know
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Brittany Slade wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 21:42
Bridgette C 2 wrote: 03 Dec 2021, 00:08 I prefer paper book - the actual book, I mean. I like to touch books and sniff it😅...

I don't prefer ebook much because I don't want my eyes to be strained. I also get headache if I'm too exposed to my phone reading ebook.

Lol!!! Why do you like to sniff it? I’m honestly not making fun of you. I want to know

It's actually really common. Personally, I love the smell of books; old books, new books, matte paper, shiny paper. Doesn't matter.

There's even an entire thread for us book sniffers. :lol:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Brittany Slade
Currently Reading:

Post by Brittany Slade »

Gravy wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 23:02
Brittany Slade wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 21:42

It's actually really common. Personally, I love the smell of books; old books, new books, matte paper, shiny paper. Doesn't matter.

There's even an entire forum for us book sniffers. :lol:

Really!?!?! I had no idea. Wow. I’ve actually never heard of that before.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Anxiety and Depression by Lillyin Love

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

For me, it has to be ebooks. They're just more convenient than paperbacks. I read a paperback recently after so many years and I couldn't believe how heavy they were! And then having to keep flipping pages instead of just tapping a screen, as well as having to bookmark your last read page, it was just very stressful.
I think the only time paperback will come in handy for me is probably going to be during flights or something when you have to turn off your phones.
bookmagic019
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bookmagic019 »

I prefer REAL books. :)
Darrell Ingrum
Currently Reading: The Bounty Hunters
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darrell-ingrum.html
Latest Review: Diamonds of Devil's Tail by A.W. Baldwin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Darrell Ingrum »

Nazzo wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 09:39 For me, it has to be ebooks. They're just more convenient than paperbacks. I read a paperback recently after so many years and I couldn't believe how heavy they were! And then having to keep flipping pages instead of just tapping a screen, as well as having to bookmark your last read page, it was just very stressful.
I'm totally with you on this. I've read so many books, but as soon as the Kindle came out years ago, I went "all in" on it and never looked back! It's mostly because they are so much easier, as you've said, in every way. Now I read a book on my phone while waiting in line at stores (and, before that, while my wife peruses all the women's clothes racks) and while on exercise bikes and everywhere else. (Well, I guess most people play games on their phones during those times, but I think that's such a waste of time.)

Oh, and here's a really great thing I've discovered: my local library has a huge collection of ebooks they treat like physical books—i.e., they can only be checked out for 21 days; if anyone puts a hold on one, it goes to them when my time is up and disappears from my digital library; and there's often a weeks-long waitlist for new, popular books—but I've found lately that, if I download the book to my Kindle then put it in airplane mode, the book stays on it indefinitely or until I connect it again to the internet. (Shhhh, don't tell my librarian!) So I've been loading it up with new releases from the library—I like to read new releases :D—and then I'll put it in airplane mode and be set for months without ever having to return them! I'm so excited!
Anthonio042
Currently Reading: Sex, Genes and Rock 'n' Roll
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthonio042.html
Latest Review: "INVASIONS: 'Killing og the Indian'" by Don Diehl

Post by Anthonio042 »

As much as I love physical copies of books, I cannot discount the overall astronomical benefits of ebooks. First, it is easy and accessible to anyone. We can read anytime we want because our phones are always with us. Although books are pretty good to invest with, they are much more expensive than ebooks which can sometimes be free.
Anthonio042
Currently Reading: Sex, Genes and Rock 'n' Roll
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthonio042.html
Latest Review: "INVASIONS: 'Killing og the Indian'" by Don Diehl

Post by Anthonio042 »

As much as I love physical copies of books, I cannot discount the overall astronomical benefits of ebooks. First, it is easy and accessible to anyone. We can read anytime we want because our phones are always with us. Although books are pretty good to invest with, they are much more expensive than ebooks which can sometimes be free.
Sethaboy
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Sethaboy »

I prefer real books over e-books
Darrell Ingrum
Currently Reading: The Bounty Hunters
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darrell-ingrum.html
Latest Review: Diamonds of Devil's Tail by A.W. Baldwin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Darrell Ingrum »

Anthonio042 wrote: 14 Dec 2021, 09:35 As much as I love physical copies of books, I cannot discount the overall astronomical benefits of ebooks.
If I look way back, I remember a time when I really loved physical books, and I had a couple of full bookshelves I'd hoped would pique my kids' interest like my aunt's did mine as a kid, but I had to move a lot with Air Force so all those became a hassle. My wife rode my back to rid of them for years. (She doesn't read, of course.) After the Kindle and ebooks took off, I was finally happy to donate them all to the library or Deseret Industries stores without ever looking back. As for my boys, they took to reading after all, but won't ever read anything I've suggested, anyway!

-D.
Nonjabulo Macu
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonjabulo-macu.html
Latest Review: Doppelgänger by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Nonjabulo Macu »

:techie-studyingbrown: I love both, flipping through physical paper is very satisfying, and using my phone to read is very convenient, and so both methods work for me.
Cris90
Currently Reading: Selling Change

Post by Cris90 »

A year ago I would have said I will never replace physical books with pdfs, audiobooks and the like. But lately I've come to indulge in the comfort of reading ebooks on my phone; it's much easier to hold a little phone in your hand or just prop it against the wall and scroll while dozing off to sleep. It's more convenient to have it with you wherever you go, even standing in a supermarket queue. Audiobooks are another format I enjoy, especially when working out; it's very satisfying to be able to learn new things while doing a light cardio workout and so, you don't feel like you're wasting time. Nowadays, choosing a paperback to read is a rare occasion, even though there are plenty waiting for me on my shelves.
Kidd Essence
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kidd-essence.html
Latest Review: Fast-Starting A Career of Consequence by Fred Sievert

Post by Kidd Essence »

I love both forms of reading. Of course, it's amazing just to read alone on a cold, rainy day with a physical book, but it's better than books advancing with technology, or else they will be forgotten by our society.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”