Did You Know There Are Borrowing/Lending Sites for eReaders?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Did You Know There Are Borrowing/Lending Sites for eRead

Post by gali »

Chris3kids wrote:I didn't know there were lending sights for ebooks. How do I do it if I have Google. I go to my Google play store to buy my ebooks where do go to borrow them? And I don't know what an ereader is. Can anyone explain? Yes I know I'm way behind on the times but I just prefer real books. Computers tend to wig out in my presence. And no I do not live under a rock.
Ereader is a device for reading content (aka e-books) such as Kindle, Sony and the like. You can buy ebooks from Amazon and other ebooks online store, or you can borrow them from your library.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Jan Sharon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jan Sharon »

I do but earlier when I tried them found it frustrating locating what I wanted so I quit l. Don't kow if it's easier now that they are more books avaikable.
ph1phin3
Currently Reading: The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ph1phin3.html

Post by ph1phin3 »

Through Amazon, you can also lend your ebooks to a friend via email. This feature is not available for every title, but it is enabled for quite a number of ebooks. You can see it through your Amazon account, under Manage Your Content and Devices. For a given ebook that you own, there's a menu that will show the Loan this Title option if it is enabled for that specific book. You then can lend it to a friend by specifying the email address of the person you're lending it to. While the book is being borrowed, you cannot read it. There's also a time limit to the loan.
Jan Sharon

Post by Jan Sharon »

Yes but you can't use Amazon for books if you are using a Nook.
madhu_bookworm
Currently Reading: Chasing Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madhu-bookworm.html
Latest Review: "Passion Queen" by Kevin James
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by madhu_bookworm »

This is the first time of me hearing of borrowing and lending ebooks for free! Thanks guys for the info. Going to go check this out right now.
Latest Review: "Passion Queen" by Kevin James
kathylapan
Favorite Author: Thomas Harris
Currently Reading: Near a thousand tables
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathylapan.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2793

Post by kathylapan »

Thank you so much for this post!
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light; I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. ~ Sarah Williams
Madhu Sri
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madhu-sri.html
Latest Review: "Sex and the Underground City" by Laura Roberts

Post by Madhu Sri »

Thanks for letting me know. I never would have guessed!
Latest Review: "Sex and the Underground City" by Laura Roberts
cajagreg
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cajagreg.html

Post by cajagreg »

I love being able to borrow ebooks through my public library. I am notorious for forgetting to return books and always get late charges, even though I do like paper books. It's nice that they just go away after 2 weeks or I can sometimes renew if there aren't any holds. I do get disappointed when certain books are not available or there is a long hold period, but it gets me out of paying fees!

I also use Amazon Prime's kindle lending library for a free rental once a month. With Prime, I also get to choose from 4-6 books every month of pre-releases to download and keep, which is sometimes interesting to see the titles!

Bookbub also has lots of deals on ebooks and have titles that are temporarily free or much lower than usual for download. These deals don't stay forever, but I've found a couple nice reads mixed in there!
Xinceesay

Post by Xinceesay »

Why anyone gove the links to Ebooks? I personally would like to see services for borrowing books..
simplysara
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplysara.html

Post by simplysara »

Thanks for the tip! I always start with my library, but sometimes they don't have what I'm looking for. Either it's not in stock or someone else is reading it. I'll check these sites out for sure!
WillWalter13
Currently Reading: The darkest part of the forest
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willwalter13.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by WillWalter13 »

I use overdrive and hooplah for books. They're through the library.
bell6972
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bell6972.html

Post by bell6972 »

Hi, I am new here...I have heard of borrowing/lending sites but, I have never used one. Are we able to borrow and lend if we just have a Nook app? I sure would like to know ASAP.
Freida Livery
Bookshelf Size: 2897
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Freida Livery »

Unfortunately, these sights don't work for me. I have a list of 70 books or so that I want to read. I searched to see if any of them were available on these lending sights. The publisher of the books must authorize the books to be borrowed. Most of the tops publishers don't allow it. So I either buy them or wait for Overdrive to make them available, then get on the waiting list.
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like."
— Lemony Snicket
Jessafford
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessafford.html

Post by Jessafford »

Maud Fitch wrote:I borrow ebooks through my public library. They download free to any device and no need for special email address.

Please tell me how you borrow eboops from your local library? I did not know that the library offers this, but then again I rarely go to my pu license library.
GSRobinson5718

Post by GSRobinson5718 »

I borrow e-books from my county library too. I have found, however, that it is hard to find what I'm looking for on their website. Perhaps it's just me, but I'm not fond of their set up. I do usually manage to locate a good book, though!

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”