Anyone else get motion sick when reading in a car?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Re: Anyone else get motion sick when reading in a car?

Post by Anirudh Badri »

This used to happen to me a lot, but I kept at it and eventually it just stopped. If you want to try something else, then you could try audiobooks which should certainly work for you.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
CheanneL
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheannel.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by CheanneL »

I also get the same thing. At least I used to when I was still growing up. Because of this I learned a long time ago not to do it! But naturally, sometimes you need to like when looking for a place on a map or reading an message update on behalf of the driver, etc. Sometimes I will start to get a headache if I do it for too long, around 10 minutes or so, but I usually don't let it get that far. Strangely enough, I can read in a bus without an issue. I mostly read and typed messages on my phone so I thought it was because I wasn't constantly reading and typing, but I once decided to read a book on the bus (I was too addicted to the book not to!) and it was fine. I can read on a train too. I haven't gotten car sick in quite a while unlike when I was younger and anytime we had to take a long trip I needed medication for it with or without reading! So not at all sure what to suggest.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

I still get motion sick while reading in a car. My head spins and i get very nauseous, so I have nothing to suggest.. read at traffic lights maybe? Lol. Or i think the audio book suggested by Anirudh is a good suggestion. But it does take away from the excitement of reading the book yourself
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I only do audio books when in the car. Every time I have tried reading, I get an intense headache that no amount of medicine can ease. Fortunately most books now come with an audio option.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Papercup
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Papercup »

I got a weak eyesight and motion sickness while reading isn't helping. I prefer to sleep or listen to my weird songs during the ride.
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tamdlyte »

I trained myself from a very early age, (7? 8?) to read in the car for hours. Thank goodness! I think it is all about training your eyes to track a moving object. I get some of my best reading done in the car. I've been doing this for 42 years so, I think it worked! LOL
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

Yes! I hate it! I could read so much and get so much work done if I didn't get sick.
Envision Tressy
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-envision-tressy.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Envision Tressy »

Hahahahahah not at all with me, I actually enjoy reading something in my car but the sad part is that I have to drive most of the time
Her eyes were like the sun, glowing red hot in the darkness of light!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
bestia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bestia »

I get motion sick regardless of what I'm doing, but trying to concentrate on a book makes it 100x worse.
I got around this by turning to audiobooks if I need to stay awake otherwise I try and sleep
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

I get the same thing too. It helps if the windows are open and the air is flowing. If u r reading on a Kindle device, try to adjust the brightness. Somehow I feel this is related to ear and balance issues. so try earplugs or noise cancellation headphones
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Tomy Chandrafrost
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

I'm like that sometimes, especially with digital books. I prefer listening to eBooks using Google Books or a PDF reader when I'm in a vehicle.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”