Anyone else get motion sick when reading in a car?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Anyone else get motion sick when reading in a car?

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I never used to as a child but as I've grown older I have. This is slightly annoying as I love to read all the time.
NLBell21
Currently Reading: Chemistry of Water Treatment, Second Edition
Bookshelf Size: 199

Post by NLBell21 »

I always get motion sickness in the car. Even if it's just reading maps, I have to stop after a few minutes. I'll admit that I'm jealous of people who can read in the car.
QuothTheRaven
Currently Reading: Night School
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quoththeraven.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by QuothTheRaven »

I am the same way. I have never been able to read in the car. Even a quick glance on Facebook is enough to make me nauseous and give me a headache sometimes.
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

I used to get motion sick if I read in any moving vehicle, but I eventually seemed to outgrow it when I hit about 18... haven't had any problem since.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

As a child I never would get motion sick while reading, I could go hours without it bothering me. Now as an adult I can't read for very long before I need to look out the window. Maybe try changing the back lighting or read white letters on a black screen to see if that makes a difference.
greywalker
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ndation</a>
Currently Reading: The Mysticism of Paul the Apostle
Bookshelf Size: 133

Post by greywalker »

I'm blessed not to get motion sick while reading in a car. It would have been torture for me growing up with too many 12 hour car trips! Reading was the only way I made it through those without going mad.
ladywithglasses
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladywithglasses.html

Post by ladywithglasses »

I feel your pain! I get motion sickness when I try to read while riding in the car! I can't even play video games without getting sick. I also find that it takes WAY more effort to concentrate on the book.
Mbarnes
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbarnes.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Mbarnes »

I am glad to know that I am not the only one with this issue. Reading is a passion of mine but cannot read any if I am in or on anything that moves. I just do not read when in motion. You can only look at the things around you for so long before it feels like you are losing your mind. If I really want to read while I am in the car, I take some medicine to offset the sick feeling.
Bunny_Redd
Favorite Book: Let's Talk About Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Bunny_Redd »

I always have loved reading, but can never go more than 10 minutes reading in a car w/o getting sick to my stomach
RachelleLehan
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachellelehan.html

Post by RachelleLehan »

I have never been able to read anything in a car. I even struggle reading directions as a passenger before even getting out of the parking lot. It drives me nuts, because I love to read and I love road trips. Just have to keep the two separate I suppose.
Jbren13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbren13.html

Post by Jbren13 »

I'm really lucky, I have never really been carsick while reading. Growing up, I always brought a book for long car rides. I'm sure if I got car sick, reading wouldn't be as big of a part of my life as it is today.
liniageline89
Currently Reading: Ender's Game
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by liniageline89 »

Every four years,my family takes a three- to six-month furlough across the USA to visit numerous friends and family. That means a minimum of 100 lodging stops in 30-40 States and LONG LONG roadtrips. Now I love to read, but I also get motion sickness really really quickly and the first 16 years of my life were spent in agony during those road trips, because I could not resist the book.
Then we had our trip a couple months ago, and for some reason, I was hardly carsick. Maybe, because this time I had a good e-reader? I outgrew carsickness? I learned how to drive and my body knew what to expect from being in a car? I live in the front passenger seat? Either way, whatever reason it may be, it was the best road trip ever for me.
PRADIP JANA

Post by PRADIP JANA »

:cry:
Tedmorgan wrote:I can't read my kindle for more than 2 minutes in a car without get nauseas. Anyone else have this problem? Any remedies to suggest? I am stuck in a car for an hour a day and would love to be reading the whole time rather than look at traffic
Yeh.
It's right.
JessieMarie84
Currently Reading: Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessiemarie84.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by JessieMarie84 »

Sometimes I do. Not always. I guess it depends on how the driving is of the person driving on if I can read books via the Kindle app on my iPad or even regular books. If it's my soon-to-be ex-husband then I can't. If it's my mom, I can read. I end up not since I do more talking than reading. Sorry, I have no remedies to help with that since if I get that sick feeling I just quit reading.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
EmperorOfBooks
Currently Reading: the wicked will rise
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emperorofbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmperorOfBooks »

It depends on what book I'm reading. If it's a physical book, I have a harder time focusing on what I'm reading because I get more distracted with my surroundings. If it's on my phone where I'm reading, I just put on my earbuds and I completely space out.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”