Disadvantages of Ebooks and Readers

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Disadvantages of Ebooks and Readers

Post by Zannie »

I was unable to find this topic already posted but if it is I am sorry for reposting.

With all the advantages of ebook readers pointed out in this forum , I thought it might be interesting to see what people thought were the disadvantages.

Personally I hate how I cannot have two books open at the same time. If I am studying a book I need to have the book open as well as study guide and flip back and forwards. If both are ebooks this cannot be easily done on the Kindle.

So What is your ebook pet hate?
dianejai
Currently Reading: heartwood of the bodhi tree
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by dianejai »

tactile! I hate staring at a computer for ages...I love the feel of paper...the sound of turning pages. I love putting a book down and then picking it up again...........and NOT having to switch on a machine...no matter how small or large.
Zannie

Post by Zannie »

Oh yes! Not having to turn it on and then running out of battery! I have forgotten what that feels like.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Well forgetting to charge it and running out of battery is the obvious one.
While my kindle is brilliant and so much cheaper for loading up with books for the holidays, one downside is that you can't really just leave the Kindle lying on your towel while you go for a quick dip - I wouldn't get too upset if a paperback went walkies but having to replace the Kindle is costly.
eReaders have destroyed the lovely passtime of speculating on what your fellow travellers or fellow patients in the doctor/dentists waiting rooms were reading & then discovering they were on a totally different genre to what you would have expected. Now they could all be reading 50 Shades and, short of asking them, you have no way of knowing - it's very annoying! It used to be a great converstion opener or chat up line too ... "I haven't read that book, is it any good?" followed by "It's OK but not a good as his earlier book, you can have a lend of it when I finish if you like?" and away you go with a whole new friendship established.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Zannie

Post by Zannie »

I use to give my books to mum and Grandma to read. With an ebook you can't. And I didn't realize it until you posted but I don't talk about the books I have read now.

Where I live ebooks are not the norm so you can still check out what others are reading. I shall savor it while I have it.

I also dislike how tired my fingers get tapping to turn the page.
KMilliron
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmilliron.html

Post by KMilliron »

I've never had a cat break a book. R.I.P. Back-up Kindle.
scuba_steves
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander
Currently Reading: The Fiery Cross - Diana Gabaldon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scuba-steves.html
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by scuba_steves »

That magical smell of books. Plus, I take a weird pride in my massive bookcases full of multi-colored spines. It's not nearly as impressive to show your library on an ebook reader, though much more convenient. Also, I feel more confident reading physical books in the tub than electronic. Oy, that'd give me palpitations!
Sveta
Currently Reading: Out of the Box Everlasting
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sveta.html
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen

Post by Sveta »

The format problems is one; another is that not everything is available to e-read, sometimes e-reader can break then you'll have to spend a lot of money getting another, and I like to read multiple books at once, or flip through pages and check out the ending, while with e-reader I can't do that :(
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen
EGilbert

Post by EGilbert »

Here where I am, I don't have the option to lend e-books to friends or family, like I can with a physical book. That is a major complaint of mine. Besides that, there's the standard "you get less of a book experience with e-readers" argument which is also a downside.
Zannie

Post by Zannie »

Yes I only seem to buy books from Amazon now and they don't have all the books that I can find in paper. People can't walk into my house and see the books I read nor what that tells them about my personality. I have never had my Kindle break but have forgotten to charge it.

Thank you for your opinions
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Zannie wrote:Yes I only seem to buy books from Amazon now and they don't have all the books that I can find in paper. People can't walk into my house and see the books I read nor what that tells them about my personality. I have never had my Kindle break but have forgotten to charge it.

Thank you for your opinions
That's a very valid point - I love browsing someone's bookshelves to see what they are into.

Likewise my Kindle has given no trouble & I have it about 3/4 years but like you, Zannie, I have forgotten to recharge it on occasion :oops:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misaela »

No lending. I love to recommend a book and be able to give it to them in their hands. There is no value (in my opinion) to "Here! I have a PDF! Read it!"
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
msdaniellerhudy
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdaniellerhudy.html
Latest Review: "Minister's Shoes" by Celine Rose Mariotti

Post by msdaniellerhudy »

I hate not being able to feel the paper between my fingers. Also my head starts to hurt if I stare at a screen for too long. I love the feel of real books and being able to turn the page.
Latest Review: "Minister's Shoes" by Celine Rose Mariotti
nan m
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nan-m.html
Latest Review: "Lantern in the Mist (Second Review)" by Liliana Shelbrook

Post by nan m »

agree with what you said. Plus your paperback will never get stuck no matter how badly you behave with it. ;)
Latest Review: "Lantern in the Mist (Second Review)" by Liliana Shelbrook
SarahPapesh
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahpapesh.html
Latest Review: "Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus" by Allison Hawn

Post by SarahPapesh »

So far, you have all talked me out of an e-reader. I like the actual books, but I was swaying the other way for convenience.
Latest Review: "Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus" by Allison Hawn

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”