Disadvantages of Ebooks and Readers

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Re: Disadvantages of Ebooks and Readers

Post by saturday+deviant »

I think a disadvantage is the size of the print. Yes, it can be enlarged in some cases, but even then for me, it is too small.
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Age777
Favorite Author: So many to choose...
Favorite Book: As if I could pick just one
Currently Reading: Sammi by W.D. County
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-age777.html
Latest Review: "Sammi" by W.D. County

Post by Age777 »

1. no power, no reading
2. if you are one of those special people like myself who drain batteries...need I say more
3. drop your ereader vs a book and it may break
4. get your ereader wet...oops, it's f***ed
5. drop something on your ereader...oops, it's f***ed
6. incompatible format - not every book is available in every format
7. no book smell, or texture
8. freezing problem...sh*t
9. some are difficult to see in sunlight or other bright lights
10. children like to play with buttons (vs tearing pages...huh)

That is only a handful of the problems or downsides to ereaders vs books but I personally love carrying an entire library around in my pocket. That is enough for me to love them right there.
When you're wrong, your really wrong. When you're right, you're a pain in my a$$.
- by Me said originally to my hubby
Latest Review: "Sammi" by W.D. County
Jenn+books
Favorite Author: Anne Tyler
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Always a Shakespeare
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenn-books.html
fav_author_id: 6534

Post by Jenn+books »

I like my Kindle--it's quick and easy to get books, and I have saved a lot of money renting textbooks on the Kindle rather than buying a paper copy. It's light and easy to take with me when I travel. My biggest beef, however, the reason I will NEVER be without a paper book to read, is that I cannot--or will not--take my Kindle in the bathtub. If you drop the Kindle in the bathtub, you lose maybe hundreds of books and a substantial financial investment, whereas if you drop a paper book in the bathtub, you just dry it out and keep reading, or pick a used copy at a garage sale somewhere. Therefore, we can never do away with paper books. I don't know anyone who would disagree with me!
cathjade
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathjade.html

Post by cathjade »

well runing out of batterie , making sure not to drop coffee on it and mostly having nightmares about loosing my ereader! it contiens hundreds of books :shock:
Lexiophile

Post by Lexiophile »

I have the kindle paperwhite and I love it, but I really love the the feel of actual books. I just feel the the kindle and other readers alike are so impersonal.
nan m
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nan-m.html
Latest Review: "Lantern in the Mist (Second Review)" by Liliana Shelbrook

Post by nan m »

ohh I'm madly in love with my ereader. I can't think of a single reason to hate my dear reader. :)
Latest Review: "Lantern in the Mist (Second Review)" by Liliana Shelbrook
Cali
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cali.html

Post by Cali »

I wrote about this in another thread; but one disadvantage for me is that I often fall asleep reading books and while that's usually ok for a paperback I don't like risking my laptop or a reader to the bumps and squashing that may occur
"Life is what we call that period of time that interrupts our reading" - unknown

“When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus
chibisa

Post by chibisa »

I like real book and science. I like research book and perform them. sometime, it is difficult.
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

I find my Kindle hard to read in bright sunlight too
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

Sad to say that I do not have a single friend or family member who reads or has the same tastes as I do except a daughter who lives in another state,so I have never loaned a book anyway[though I have given her a few when she came home to visit].That being said,the only possible disadvantage of an E-Reader for me is a low battery. I totally love my Kindle.I just finished reading the hardcover of Dan Brown's~ Inferno, and it was a pain in the butt to read that big book in paper form!I had reserved it at my library and didn't know it was hardcover which I have always hated,or I would not have gotten that edition.PB or Kindle edition,only for me!
urica
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urica.html

Post by urica »

Reading actual books defines a culture, a generation. Emergence of digital books is a breakthrough. Technology has its good and bad sides. One disadvantage of ebooks and readers is that future generation wouldn't know how a real book felt in their hands.
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

SarahPapesh wrote:So far, you have all talked me out of an e-reader. I like the actual books, but I was swaying the other way for convenience.
There is a good thread on Advantages of Ebooks. It is worth a read if you are thinking of getting an Ebook reader
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The only disadvantage I found is that they don't last long if you read too much on them. The longest my kindle lasted was 1 year and my last broke up after 2 months. I got it replaced. Saying that, I love my kindle and I think it's worth it to have one.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
plath

Post by plath »

For those missing the feel of paper, may I ask what ereader you have? I got a Paperwhite and surprisingly it does have a paper feel to it. However, I must admit I miss the smell of newly bought books. You can't have that from ebooks. :p
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I know that a disadvantage is simply that it is an electronic device. So if there was ever a power outage, my tablet had better be charged! If not, I'm just out of luck. That is a case when having a physical book is better.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”