Disadvantages of Ebooks and Readers

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Disadvantages of Ebooks and Readers

Post by Chitopogi »

For all the valid reasons being said about buying Ebook readers, I would much prefer using Readers and Ebooks over physical books. I once cried when I dropped my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on the floor and the glass screen broke. The replacement part was just as expensive as the original price of the unit. So I had to throw it away.
But now, with the advent of tempered glass screens, jellycases and protective casings, you can now drop your smartphone from the table down to the floor and nothing bad will happen. It's happened to my Nokia Windowsphone and my Lenovo android. They both passed the table drop test with flying colors.
lilytepait
Currently Reading: A Haunted Murder (A Lin Coffin Mystery Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by lilytepait »

it hurts your eyes
strwbrry_Celestine
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by strwbrry_Celestine »

I cant put the books that i read in shelves.. should i just print a copy of its :shock2: cover to remind myself that i bought and read this book. :cry2:
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

It's quite sensitive, one of mine broke when I was reading on the beach. It was quite pricey, so I have no idea why the sun had such an effect. It wasn't overly hot or anything, but the screen just stopped working.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

While reading an eBook my eyes get tired quickly as compared to reading a paperback or hardcover. I think it is a common problem for all.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

Ebooks don't have the same smell or feel as paper. Also, sometimes I get a headache from reading for hours when I'm staring at a screen.
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

Having to charge it often causes a lot of trouble, and I consider it one of the major disadvantages of a reader
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
Lia A
Favorite Book: Aurora Rising
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lia-a.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Lia A »

One disadvantage is that it is more difficult to quickly turn through the pages and look for certain text.
โ€œ๐“ž๐“ท๐“ฎ ๐“ถ๐“พ๐“ผ๐“ฝ ๐“ช๐“ต๐”€๐“ช๐”‚๐“ผ ๐“ซ๐“ฎ ๐“ฌ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฎ๐“ฏ๐“พ๐“ต ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“ซ๐“ธ๐“ธ๐“ด๐“ผ, ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ญ ๐”€๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฝ ๐“ฒ๐“ผ ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ผ๐“ฒ๐“ญ๐“ฎ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ๐“ถ, ๐“ฏ๐“ธ๐“ป ๐”€๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ญ๐“ผ ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฟ๐“ฎ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“น๐“ธ๐”€๐“ฎ๐“ป ๐“ฝ๐“ธ ๐“ฌ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ฎ ๐“พ๐“ผ.โ€
โ€• ๐“’๐“ช๐“ผ๐“ผ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ญ๐“ป๐“ช ๐“’๐“ต๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฎ, (๐“’๐“ต๐“ธ๐“ฌ๐“ด๐”€๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ด ๐“๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ฎ๐“ต)
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Anngladys »

Zannie wrote: โ†‘07 Sep 2013, 02:54 I was unable to find this topic already posted but if it is I am sorry for reposting.

With all the advantages of ebook readers pointed out in this forum , I thought it might be interesting to see what people thought were the disadvantages.

Personally I hate how I cannot have two books open at the same time. If I am studying a book I need to have the book open as well as study guide and flip back and forwards. If both are ebooks this cannot be easily done on the Kindle.

So What is your ebook pet hate?
Oh yes! This one is a bummer! And even if one is reading on the computer, there are still tabs to navigate around. With physical books, the pages stay the way you left them and all you have to do is look at them, not click and point and so and so forth!!
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

lilytepait wrote: โ†‘30 Apr 2017, 12:25 it hurts your eyes
True. And tires your brain in a special way.
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

strwbrry_Celestine wrote: โ†‘11 May 2017, 07:17 I cant put the books that i read in shelves.. should i just print a copy of its :shock2: cover to remind myself that i bought and read this book. :cry2:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Interesting one there!
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

Naval Aulakh wrote: โ†‘08 Jul 2017, 08:04 While reading an eBook my eyes get tired quickly as compared to reading a paperback or hardcover. I think it is a common problem for all.
Same here actually!!
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

ZeroChill wrote: โ†‘22 Oct 2017, 10:00 Having to charge it often causes a lot of trouble, and I consider it one of the major disadvantages of a reader
So much so especially when one is an ardent reader!!
And you're quite limited if you want to go out into the wild for a few days. Unless you have a very long-lasting power bank. Physical books are so awesome - they don't need recharging!! They are always reliable, always there when we need them. :D
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

Jenn+books wrote: โ†‘04 Oct 2013, 05:21 I like my Kindle--it's quick and easy to get books, and I have saved a lot of money renting textbooks on the Kindle rather than buying a paper copy. It's light and easy to take with me when I travel. My biggest beef, however, the reason I will NEVER be without a paper book to read, is that I cannot--or will not--take my Kindle in the bathtub. If you drop the Kindle in the bathtub, you lose maybe hundreds of books and a substantial financial investment, whereas if you drop a paper book in the bathtub, you just dry it out and keep reading, or pick a used copy at a garage sale somewhere. Therefore, we can never do away with paper books. I don't know anyone who would disagree with me!
Yes, we can never do away with paper books!!
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

urica wrote: โ†‘16 Oct 2013, 07:37 Reading actual books defines a culture, a generation. Emergence of digital books is a breakthrough. Technology has its good and bad sides. One disadvantage of ebooks and readers is that future generation wouldn't know how a real book felt in their hands.
That might be a sad reality if the physical books were phased out. However, I don't think that they will be completely phased out. They will still be possible to find for those who really love them! I can't imagine a world without physical books!

Return to โ€œE-Books and E-Readersโ€