The trouble with free books is:

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Re: The trouble with free books is:

Post by rssllue »

Too quick and easy to download and takes so long to read all of them! :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Sarah Penney
Favorite Author: Tom Clancy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-penney.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 7289

Post by Sarah Penney »

rssllue wrote:Too quick and easy to download and takes so long to read all of them! :)
Haha! I have the same problem. Though I think for me, the biggest problem with free books is that sometimes the writing leaves more than a bit to be desired. Don't get me wrong, I love a free book, but if the author makes a bunch of grammar mistakes over and over because they didn't take the time to edit properly before they self-published, I will finish the book, but the author may find a not so favorable rating on Amazon coming their way.
"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." -Abraham Lincoln
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

That is a definite problem too.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Nikki_thornton
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nikki_thornton »

I have the watt app. It allows you to choose and even read a teaser of the books. Its for matuers. I just read "Mr. 8" The book was entertaining but had a lot twist (which I like) but it was too many twists. It was suppose to be mystery but was more zombie/science fiction/ fantasy all wrapped in one which im in to. Even though I was entertained, I felt like I wasted my time reading "Mr. 8" bc I read until I finish the book. I said all that to I like to skip around in my book sometimes to just get a teaser. If a can do that with an electronic book great.
Ljsoso

Post by Ljsoso »

I don't necessarily mind editing problems in a book that is free, but when it starts to bother me is when I have to pay for subsequent books in the series and the errors continue. I think that authors have a right to be compensated for their work. It is frustrating as a reader though to read something that could be great but mistakes get in the way of being able to get lost in the story.
Yerdua11
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yerdua11.html

Post by Yerdua11 »

What I've done over the years sometimes is buy the book brand new (physical paper), read it carefully without breaking the binding, and then sell it on ebay or amazon and get most of my money back. I'm not the type who can read a book twice (other than maybe harry potter), because I already know what happens. But if you can get some money back for it, it's worth buying the next in the series!
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

My biggest pet peeve is when one book is split up into several books. Like if for example there is a book that is offered for free, it is only one book and it's 50 pages and you have to pay for the next few books that are each around 50 pages. In total the book could have been just one 250 page novel so this is incredibly frustrating and makes me not even want to read the free book.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
MRogue
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrogue.html
Latest Review: "Billionaire Romance: A Hard Bargain (Book 1 of series)" by Jennifer King

Post by MRogue »

I agree with everyone.
Many free books are not worth the effort. But when you do find one that interests you, it tends to be part of a series.
Then you have to go look for the rest of the series. You still end up buying anyway.
Adventure is worthwhile in itself.
Latest Review: "Billionaire Romance: A Hard Bargain (Book 1 of series)" by Jennifer King
1_2_5_am
Currently Reading: Once Upon a Time in Korea
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1-2-5-am.html

Post by 1_2_5_am »

I LOVE free books especially when they're the beginning of a series!!
It's usually a series by an author I'm new to and it's quite nice to be able to test the waters!

& Yes, while I do like to know how a series ends, I also never want them to end!
I feel like a lose a piece of myself once the series ends...
dina s
Currently Reading: Taken - A Many Lives Story
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dina s »

free books are nice to read an author not known to you, and hoping that you like the story for further books
Jennifer Juniper

Post by Jennifer Juniper »

Topcho wrote:For me, the main problem with free books is that I accumulate too many. I follow many blogs and sites, that let you know when a book is free on Amazon or elsewhere for limited time; also I like to wander in all those free book sites, author blogs with goodies, blog hops, giveaways.
I'm absolutely the same way. I get so excited when I'm offered free books that I get "click happy" and end up with a huge amount of books on my Kindle and not enough time!
generalzod

Post by generalzod »

Many of the free books I've read haven't been edited well. But if it was written well, I guess it makes you want to follow through with the next book.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

There are too many to read.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
angelsfantasy26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelsfantasy26.html

Post by angelsfantasy26 »

I know exactly how you feel. Not only are the books not free after the first book, you can't find them in libraries either. You basically have no choice but to buy the other books if you really want to finish the series.
"Evil is a point of view. God kills, indiscriminately, and so shall we. For no creatures under God are as we are, none so like him as ourselves." - The Vampire Lestat
AReintjes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areintjes.html

Post by AReintjes »

"you can't find them in libraries either. You basically have no choice but to buy the other books if you really want to finish the series."

Well, that answers my question before I even asked it, darn....

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”