If you were rich enough would you have both versions

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Re: If you were rich enough would you have both versions

Post by winecellarlibrary »

If I had the money, I would purchase all the books that I have rated highly in print! I love the aesthetic of bookshelves. I prefer print books to electronic books, but since I review books for many different forums, the majority of my books are now digital copies. There are many books that are excellent but that have never been released in print, which is disappointing. My dream house would have His and Hers libraries where we could be surrounded with all of our favorite texts!
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I actually almost only buy books in physical copy. I have hundreds of books in my house, enough to have a two walled library in my living room which was always a childhood dream.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

wordslinger42 wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 12:58
Dan_Wellock wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 13:37
Ak1412 wrote: 21 Mar 2019, 20:25

YES! This is the dream!
It very much is the dream! I have always wanted a huge library like that. And simply spending all my days reading and living in beautiful different worlds would be exquisite!
I couldn't agree more! A library like that would be so wonderful to have! There's nothing better than having a cozy space to read, surrounded by books!
I just posted at the bottom of this thread and then saw your post, but this is literally what my living room looks like and it makes me so unbelievably happy! Haha
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

I have a dream of converting one of the bedrooms into a library/study in the future. I love the books i can read and display more. The paperback is a winner for me.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Yes, I could have a big place to use for my personal library so I can have all my books in sight and at the same time their electronic versions in my devices ready if I want to search for something specific in one of them.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

If I were rich enough, I wouldn't go for eBook at all, although eBook apps come in handy when reviewing a book, other than that, I can't find much advantage to eBooks over hard copies.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
books_andpoetri
Currently Reading: The Most Fun We Ever Had
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetri.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by books_andpoetri »

I'm on the practical side so I'd say no. I will only buy multiple copies of books I really love if they have a special edition, like Harry Potter.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

I mean, if I had the ebook already, I might buy the hard copy, but I see no need for an ebook if I already have the hard copy.
alicia_fountain
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8717">The Brothers Karamazov</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia-fountain.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by alicia_fountain »

If I were rich enough, I don't think I would end up buying both versions. I get textbooks sometimes, and I'm glad to keep them as ebooks rather than taking up shelf space. Also, I only just got a bookshelf, but it doesn't hold very much, lol! I do enjoy the real books I have now, but I'm good for a while. I wouldn't want to have a physical copy of every book I have reviewed. Some of the books I did not enjoy, so I would rather not own them, lol.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

Yes! That's my goal one day. I'd buy an ebook copy especially if its a difficult book to find and eventually buy their paperback/hard cover versions!
aruntr2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aruntr2001.html
Latest Review: Theatre of Racial Conflict by Bunmi Popoola

Post by aruntr2001 »

THer re few books that I would prefer to have both versions. I use the physical copy to lend it to someone f I need to recommend that particular book.
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Anngladys »

JessiAnne26 wrote: 06 May 2014, 15:14 If you had a lot of money would you have all of your books on an e-reader and in hard/paperback/physical copy?
does anyone do this already? If you do what makes it worth it? (i think it's a pretty cool idea, i'd like to see the volume of space all of the books i've read takes up)
I'd probably add audio books as well!!

But really, I'd keep many books on the e-readers and fewer books in hard/paperback/physical versions. I'd keep physical copies of books that I refer to most often because my use wouldn't be limited to the availability of charge on my devices.

I like to get away from technology every once in a while, so physical books win again. This, coupled with my love for quiet places and retreats again gives more points to physical books.

However, I love the ease with which I can carry hundreds of books as I travel and so I can't quite run out of great books to read.

To protect my eyes though, I use minimal lighting and get my spectacles changed every so often and ensure that they have the protective properties.

So no, I wouldn't have all my books in both versions. Just the ones I really, really frequently need in my day to day life.
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

anomalocaris wrote: 06 May 2014, 19:24 I probably would still only purchase hard copies of ones I really wanted to keep, and leave the other stuff in digital form. Then again, if I were that rich, I wouldn't read so much crap. I only read the cheap self-pubbed stuff now because I can't afford the books I really want to read.
Is that so? Are self-pubbed books such poor quality, or is it just some of the ones you've come across?

I agree with you though, on having hard copies of the ones I'd really want to keep. And yes, having more money does lead to getting some higher quality books.
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

DEBBIE SMITH wrote: 06 May 2014, 19:37 I would. I love reading the physical copies of books but I commute and am away from home a lot so carrying a book with me adds to what I already have. Yes, I have always done this and still do sometimes, however, most of the time I am reading 2 -5 books all at the same time and carrying all of them with me is too cumbersome. That is where a portable e-reader comes in handy. It fits in my purse, computer bag, or brief and allows me to easily carry over 1500 books everywhere. Now the only books I have to individually carry are those not in e-reader format yet. Also, I love to discover new authors and it is much easier to do that with an e-reader. Another reason is that my spouse has for years told me that I have way too many books on shelves at home as it is. With my e-readers he has no idea how many books I really have because he does not have to look at them or walk around them all the time. (and I don't add to my shelves as often now.) I currently use the Kindle (keyboard and laptop readers) and Calibre as well as a pdf reader on my laptops.

Your comment is hilarious!!
DEBBIE SMITH wrote: 06 May 2014, 19:37 Another reason is that my spouse has for years told me that I have way too many books on shelves at home as it is. With my e-readers he has no idea how many books I really have because he does not have to look at them or walk around them all the time. (and I don't add to my shelves as often now.)
This is so true!!! For book lovers, this is our addiction... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

David Dawson wrote: 09 May 2014, 14:15 I'd never really thought about this before, but yes. I've always thought if money were no object it would be great to have a library, thousands and thousands of books. But yes, then with duplicates and more on an e-reader.
That would be great. And then probably hire a librarian or become really good at organizing them! Otherwise they can be quite stressful to organize and rummage through when looking for a book. I think for this dream to come true one would also need a really huge house. And stringent lending measures. After such a huge investment I wouldn't want to lose my books to those who borrow but do not return.

The thousands of books would probably be a holy shrine of sorts, accessible to only a chosen few and even then, perhaps only for sharing in the wonder and not lending. If someone would like a copy, I'd probably gift them an e-copy.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”