Do ebook readers damage your eyes?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Shing Araya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Re: Do ebook readers damage your eyes?

Post by Shing Araya »

I think ebook readers has its good and bad effects; if we don't control how much we use it like if we continually read for long periods of hours without giving our eyes a break, I believe it does damage the eyes eventually.

However, if we control and balance it all. It's a fine and wonderful tool for us to enjoy more on our reading endeavors.
a1coder
Currently Reading: Nimue
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by a1coder »

there has been ongoing debate and research regarding the potential effects of ebook readers and screens on eye health. Here's what I can share based on the information available up to that point:

Blue Light Emission: One concern often raised is the blue light emitted by screens, including those of ebook readers. Blue light can disrupt sleep patterns and potentially cause digital eye strain, which includes symptoms like dry eyes, headaches, and blurred vision.

Reading Habits: People tend to blink less frequently while reading from screens compared to reading from paper. This reduced blinking can lead to dry eyes and discomfort.

Screen Brightness and Contrast: Excessive screen brightness or inappropriate contrast settings can contribute to eye strain.

Personal Variability: Sensitivity to screen use varies from person to person. Some individuals might experience discomfort more easily than others.
Carolina Katerina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolina-katerina.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Carolina Katerina »

It depends on the device and the screen. If you do not feel comfortable reading it is better to change the device.
Alexii333
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Alexii333 »

i feel looking at any type of screen for long periods of time, on a consistent basis, can damage your eyes eventually
Riantini Ariyuni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riantini-ariyuni.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Riantini Ariyuni »

I guess it will damage your eyes eventually. But we can reduce the damage effects through some special treatments.
Ohmy Book
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: You Can Heal Your Life
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohmy-book.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Ohmy Book »

If you sleep well at night and eat good food, I don't think eyesight will be affected by reading ebooks. Make sure to read on a tablet with the reading mode on. I hope this helps.
kcladyz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kcladyz »

its the opposite. tablets hurt your eyes, ereaders do not
Ohmy Book
Currently Reading: You Can Heal Your Life
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohmy-book.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Ohmy Book »

kcladyz wrote: 12 Oct 2023, 08:54 its the opposite. tablets hurt your eyes, ereaders do not
You're right. I meant the same but used the wrong word. Excuse me for that and thank you for pointing it out. Have a great day!
Ika Apro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Ika Apro »

Even though kindle paperwhite shouldn't have any effect on your eyes, I still think it tires my eyes.
Silvia Sianto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Silvia Sianto »

Well, e-readers are substantially better than computers, but the best way to read is with an old fashioned book.
Latest Review
Muhammad Haikal Birton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muhammad-haikal-birton.html
Latest Review: Army Life by Darryl Jefferson

Post by Muhammad Haikal Birton »

from my perspective, ebook readers can potentially cause eye strain and fatigue, especially when used for prolonged periods of time.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”