Do ebook readers damage your eyes?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Re: Do ebook readers damage your eyes?

Post by Netvigator72 »

Scott wrote: 19 Jan 2015, 01:32 Even if that were true, I imagine it could only be true of backlit ereaders which are basically tablets. Backlit ereaders are basically the same thing as smartphones, at least on your eyes.

Regular e-ink ereaders are very easy on the eyes. They look just like paper. They are not backlit, so it's not like staring into a TV screen as it is with smartphones, computers and actual TVs. I have to believe that using an e-ink ereader is better for the eyes than using a classic book made of paper. On the ereader, you can adjust the font-size and spacing to make it easier to read, and the lettering/paper doesn't get faded, smudged and bent.
I completely agree with you from using a kindle for many years. I’ve had people tell me that their eyes feel strain but that is completely possible from a physical book too. You need to give your eyes the rest they deserve because otherwise it will take a toll on your eyesight anyway.
JustineSophia2
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justinesophia2.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by JustineSophia2 »

Is there more recent research on this topic? I find that my eyes get far more tired reading on my Kobo or laptop versus paper. Then there is also the issue I need more light when reading a hard copy than I do with the e-reader. While I enjoy being able to carry more books on my Kobo I find there is nothing better than a hard copy book to read.
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

I don't think they're any worse than reading small-print text. Either way, it doesn't stop me from using them.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

I think it depends on the font size and brightness. The same with your phone. My husband's Kindle can have the brightness turned 100% off and still be read like it's a regular piece of paper. When you make the font larger, it's like reading a large font book, no strain at all.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
Zoe Luh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoe-luh.html
Latest Review: Moon Magic by Charli Elizabeth

Post by Zoe Luh »

I don't know the technical answer, but I have more difficulty reading online. It's harder for me to concentrate and my eyes begin to hurt after a while! Definitely prefer physical books, but I will read online if I have to.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Well, it depends! I am very comfortable reading ebooks. You get to make a lot of adjustments with your screen light, font size etc. So I think It’s not all that damaging if you use it properly.
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

I think reading for extended time, using any medium, will do damage to your eyes. I know when reading on my phone for too long, without taking breaks, I find it hard to focus my eyes.
J_u_d_y26+
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by J_u_d_y26+ »

Maybe true but I've not yet noticed it. I love using ebook readers I prefer it
aruntr2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aruntr2001.html
Latest Review: Theatre of Racial Conflict by Bunmi Popoola

Post by aruntr2001 »

well reading through my iPad or computer screen and mobile device damages my eyes. Prolonged reading sometimes caused me an irritation to my eyes and headaches as well. but kindle reader never caused me any bad.
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Anngladys »

I'd go for adjusting the brightness on the electronic device, getting proper spectacles and extra screen protection. I don't know whether they still have those nowadays, but it would be a good option if needed.

However, taking breaks would be paramount!

Or even switching to audio books every once in a while.
Chikom
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikom.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chikom »

Spending much time glaring at screens with bad resolutions might interfere with one's ability to see clearly. I would recommend taking regular breaks while using e-readers so as to minimize concentration time on the screens.
Fatima Saif
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading: Make Fitness A Priority
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-saif.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Fatima Saif »

aaa1234 wrote: 19 Jan 2015, 01:13 I have heard on the news that ebook reader damage your eyes. What is your opinion on the matter?
Excess of everything is bad for you whether it's e-book or games. Balance is the beauty of life. You can use night light or less brightness to avoid eye redness and irritation. But who cares, when a book is so tempting that you can resist until you complete an interesting story. So, enjoy your book while turning on night light. :D :D
Fatima Saif
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading: Make Fitness A Priority
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-saif.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Fatima Saif »

Those who are not used to e-book reading get irritated more than others who are addicted to e-books.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

It generally doesnt affect my eyes but reading under less lighting with the backlight will cause irritation to my eyes.
Blessing O 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-o-2.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Blessing O 2 »

Using the phone or computer generally affects the eyes negatively but in using ebooks reader, I will either use a blue light glass or reduce its brightness using the eye care mode.

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”