Do ebook readers damage your eyes?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Re: Do ebook readers damage your eyes?

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I can't say for sure but I do know that after a while my eyes get tired of looking at the screen and somewhat itchy and I have to switch to a real book or just stop reading for a while
morenikeji100
Currently Reading: Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by morenikeji100 »

I also heard about that, but I was given procedures for reading. Don't read in the dark, always on the light while reading, and always put your phone in night mood at night when reading, and try to take a little brake while reading, so that the eyes will focus on other things.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I haven't had any eye issues from reading on both my phone and my nook classic. However, I rarely read with the completely white background. I usually read with the black background with white letters, or the yellowish-brown background. On the nook classic, it looks like reading a newspaper.
espicer4life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by espicer4life »

If you use them on to bright of a setting and in the dark then yes. It also depends on how close they are to your face.
shraddharm
Favorite Book: Beyond embarrasment
Currently Reading: The Disembodied
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddharm.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by shraddharm »

I don't know if that is true but I do know that I don't find it damaging my eyes in any way. I use Kindle and it is nice to read ebooks on this app.
-R
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

Adjusting the font size and brightness has helped with eyestrain. My optometrist advised me to take breaks and not read for hours and hours--like that's going to happen.
eddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddix.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eddix »

From what I have heard, read, and experienced, ebook readers don't damage your eyes any more than other media. In fact, wearing glasses continually damages your eyes easier than anything else because they prevent your eyes from focusing naturally.

I think if you take care of your eyes - exercise them regularly and rest them often - you should be okay.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

There are so many options so that you don't strain your eyes. I read white on black at night and sepia during the day. I turn the brightness down indoors and turn it up outside. My mother makes the fonts bigger so they're easier to read.
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

There is the whole scientific aspect of this, in that the whole electromagnetic frequencies and radiation (though non-ionizing) do, to some extent, cause damage as time progresses. In the older technological age where the devices had low-level UV emission, I suppose eye-damage may have been an issue.

Nowadays, we have the option of contrast control, font sizing, spacing et cetera - things physical books lack. Consider, though, that staring into any lighted object does cause damage to the retinas, despite not really straining the eyes.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I am not sure about that. The reason is I was solely dependent on printed books since childhood, and at some point I was diagnosed with myopia. Then in later years I switched (mostly) to electronic books,but my myopia never increased with my excessive (in fact, obsessive) ebook reading. Of course, it never stopped me from gobbling up books anyway !
faceadventure
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faceadventure.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by faceadventure »

I think that e-readers are better for your health in general. You can adjust the brightness (if they are backlit, though it's better if they're not) and font size. In my experience I find it easier to read on my e-reader with a slightly bigger font size than on a regular printed book.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I don't necessarily think that they damage your eyes, but depending on the light, you you can experience a headache. It is more my hands that get sore.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
SirMorgan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SirMorgan »

No. I don't think e-book readers damages the eyes.
Actually too much of everything is bad. Giving your too much light to your e-book reader will damage your eyes in the long run.
Ellie23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ellie23 »

I think it depends on how they read, but base on my experience there was a time that if i read to much using my eyes feels itchy.
Laura Del
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-del.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Laura Del »

I think anything puts strain on the eyes when your sitting in front of it long enough, but I also think the lighten on computers and tablets do significantly put more strain on the eyes.
"Write drunk, edit sober."~Ernest Hemingway

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”